• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically, "eelskin" is made from hagfish, not eel.

But "hagfish" isn't a very appealing name. 🤣
It's not just the name. The primitive fish itself, the slime hag, is pretty revolting.

The skin makes nice durable leather, and the disgusting slime can be used to make fibers similar to silk.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not just the name. The primitive fish itself, the slime hag, is pretty revolting.

The skin makes nice durable leather, and the disgusting slime can be used to make fibers similar to silk.
Wow… leather and a silk like material. See, what I want to know is who figured out you could take a super icky creature like a “slime hag” and turn it into such things.

My first reaction would be to kill it with fire.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I’m wearing late-60’s Nunn Bush ultra 60’s mod pointy derby’s:

IMG_3824.jpeg

IMG_3825.jpeg

IMG_1691.jpeg

They’re beautifully crafted, shockingly comfortable, very sleek and…

Made out of space-age, better living through chemical science…

IMG_3827.jpeg

Yes, that’s right, these shoes are plastic. Well, not quite: the linings, insole, sole and heel stack are all leather. It’s like the exact opposite of most modern shoes. They’re GYW with a channeled welt (rapid) outsole top-stitch. These were not cheap when new (this is probably the third time anyone’s worn them).

I’ve been wearing these now for several hours, and I’m starting to wonder why Corfam failed. Properly fitted (and these shoes fit like a glove), I’m kinda shocked at how good Corfam actually is. It’s much better than cheap heavy PU CG leather used on less expensive shoes. It does “breath”, and it kinda stretches like real leather (but not exactly). On this second wear, under “real-world” conditions, I think I see why they thought this stuff would catch on.

So why didn’t it? I suspect it wasn’t actually cheap to make real Corfam (and I don’t think cheaper “modern” stuff informally called Corfam, is the same, as that stuff is much stiffer). I also suspect that in any colors, other than black and dark brown, it looks suspiciously synthetic (as seen in DavidVC’s review of his Corfam wonders).

So there you have it, with a bit more time, I’ve grown to like these 60’s shoes, beautifully made from a super weird material in the “science will make everything better”, landing people on the moon, era.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Wow… leather and a silk like material. See, what I want to know is who figured out you could take a super icky creature like a “slime hag” and turn it into such things.

My first reaction would be to kill it with fire.
You're welcome to try to kill it with fire.

Just so long as you accept that it's a fish and is under water.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I’m wearing late-60’s Nunn Bush ultra 60’s mod pointy derby’s:

View attachment 2188747

View attachment 2188745

View attachment 2188749

They’re beautifully crafted, shockingly comfortable, very sleek and…

Made out of space-age, better living through chemical science…

View attachment 2188753

Yes, that’s right, these shoes are plastic. Well, not quite: the linings, insole, sole and heel stack are all leather. It’s like the exact opposite of most modern shoes. They’re GYW with a channeled welt (rapid) outsole top-stitch. These were not cheap when new (this is probably the third time anyone’s worn them).

I’ve been wearing these now for several hours, and I’m starting to wonder why Corfam failed. Properly fitted (and these shoes fit like a glove), I’m kinda shocked at how good Corfam actually is. It’s much better than cheap heavy PU CG leather used on less expensive shoes. It does “breath”, and it kinda stretches like real leather (but not exactly). On this second wear, under “real-world” conditions, I think I see why they thought this stuff would catch on.

So why didn’t it? I suspect it wasn’t actually cheap to make real Corfam (and I don’t think cheaper “modern” stuff informally called Corfam, is the same, as that stuff is much stiffer). I also suspect that in any colors, other than black and dark brown, it looks suspiciously synthetic (as seen in DavidVC’s review of his Corfam wonders).

So there you have it, with a bit more time, I’ve grown to like these 60’s shoes, beautifully made from a super weird material in the “science will make everything better”, landing people on the moon, era.

I love your posts.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome to try to kill it with fire.

Just so long as you accept that it's a fish and is under water.
And in an instant, it can exude an inch-thick layer of flame-retаrdant fish-snot from every pore on its fine "eelskin" hide, and splatter it all over the place. It can did have a memorable effect on a bunch of drunks on a deep-sea fishing daytrip somewhere in the Gulf of Maine.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag