• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A3986B51-8B03-4B2F-9E7B-DEE40CE7EB2A.jpeg

@an draoi This is my 16570 Explorer II from 2001, which has never been polished. Granted this is newer and has a later “Oysterlock” clasp. But it gives you a rough idea of what I’m referring to. Not sure if I have a good picture of the lugs (I’m not wearing it today). edit - not the best photo, it was taken using an older iPhone and I'm not the best photographer.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BLAUGRANA , actually I was referring to Dino's tale of an AD offering to sell him a Daytona at a premium. I recall you describing your recent-ish purchases previously (and remember thinking "how many f***ing Rolexes does one guy need?" :))

Got it.

I don't disagree. I only buy the ones that I like, which unfortunately are many, but I just find the designs classic. As I've posted before, initially I didn't like the "polished" look of current generation Rolex pieces, but grew to love it after actually seeing more in person and getting one. Anyway, I see myself enjoying them for at least another 30 years and probably longer.

I've tried on the white gold Daytona on oysterflex. It's sublime.

I've never tried one. If my AD gets one I'll try it on, but not sure I want to be tempted. I think they were available for a nice grey discount a year or two ago.

Opethian

Reaction score
Obvious how? Have you just seen enough Rolex bevelled edges to be able to see the polishing immediately?

I'm a bit better when I see the watch in real life, but have little confidence in my ability to judge from photos.

Educate me!
I am no expert, I said obvious because one look at the lugs edges and the polish is there.
I mean factory finish is much sharper than what shows on the photos.
Its a good polish job, so no problem here.
I believe that lugs edges are the hardest to get right during a polish.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a perpetual calendar they will be wearing tomorrow?

IronRiceBowl

Reaction score
Would anyone with eyes better trained than mine care to comment on the condition of this watch (overall and, in particular, polishing)? If it has been polished, it looks like it was done so lightly and competently?

I'd appreciate the input.

Looks like the hands might have been replaced at one point as well, considering the different level of patina (or lack thereof) between the hands and dial lume plots

an draoi

Reaction score
Looks like the hands might have been replaced at one point as well, considering the different level of patina (or lack thereof) between the hands and dial lume plots
I have seen it said that the patina on the hands often differs from the indices on the "chicchi de mais" watches. I'm not sure whether this is true or whether it is a case of sellers trying to cover up replacement hands. I have seen more examples where patina differs than where it matches though.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure why there is a disparity, but they are pretty much like that when leaving the showroom, studio photography may create a culture of myth. Backing medium on indices, opposed to flying hands, may create misnomer.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Where do you guys stand on Ulysse Nardin?

Stumbled on this one. and while it doesn't match my style, it's gorgeous.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a so-called "Frankenwatch" - a watch built out of some genuine parts that is not genuine.

It looks as though it has an old Ulysse Nardin pocket watch movement, but the movement has been shoved into a generic wristwatch case with a new dial and caseback put on it.

So the movement is most likely genuine, but nothing else is. It's not a real U N model, never has been, and never will be.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
That's a so-called "Frankenwatch" - a watch built out of some genuine parts that is not genuine.

It looks as though it has an old Ulysse Nardin pocket watch movement, but the movement has been shoved into a generic wristwatch case with a new dial and caseback put on it.

So the movement is most likely genuine, but nothing else is. It's not a real U N model, never has been, and never will be.
Ah, it's another one. i suspected as much from the difference of quality between the movement and the case/band.

But OMG is it gorgeous, like those beautiful behemoths we were looking at a month or 2 ago.

There is a guy, here in Japan. casing pocket watches as wrist pieces. and i ain't even mad.
I can't read the Japanese, but i assume they are being sold as what they are. no lies.

A better case, and band would do it justice. luckily i have access to the best machinist and leather workers. so one of these things is on the cards.

It's actually rather sad that they put these glorious movements in such ordinary cases.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, it's another one. i suspected as much from the difference of quality between the movement and the case/band.

But OMG is it gorgeous, like those beautiful behemoths we were looking at a month or 2 ago.

There is a guy, here in Japan. casing pocket watches as wrist pieces. and i ain't even mad.
I can't read the Japanese, but i assume they are being sold as what they are. no lies.

A better case, and band would do it justice. luckily i have access to the best machinist and leather workers. so one of these things is on the cards.

It's actually rather sad that they put these glorious movements in such ordinary cases.

As for what you posted, @Journeyman summed up that piece.

The few friends of mine who have owned "Real" UNs haven't been that impressed with them. One guy bought one of the UN "Freak" watches. He only bought it because he was in the Caribbean and got it at a huge discount. He figured it's a novelty and even when he gets tired of it of it he won't lose much money on it.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stumbled on this one. and while it doesn't match my style, it's gorgeous.
At their creative best - a force to be reckoned with!

however, they did not employ my nephew and alphabet spaghetti to make that master piece - as far as I know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads