• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

an draoi

Reaction score
Wait lists at most dealers have never been chronological except with maybe a few very decent ADs. I knew one, who used to take a $500 deposit to put you on a list. He would give you an approximate time, and one would often get the watch maybe 2 months earlier than he projected. When I asked about the deposit he said it was often enough to keep would be flippers from taking up space on the wait list. However, most dealers will skip the order on the list as a favor to "Better clients."
At the PP boutique in question, the waiting list was previously presented as chronological. (The SA stressed how rigorously it was observed, to the point of mentioning that the list was maintained in SAP - this was Switzerland, after all.) Now the message is very different. Perhaps they always secretly prioritised and now they are simply being honest about it? Or perhaps policy changed when interest in the Nautilus went from keen to bonkers? Either way, it's not really surprising and it's hard to find fault with it as a sales strategy. (Other than it being frustrating if - as you say - you're an end consumer who doesn't have the means and/or inclination to buy multiple watches in order to secure the one you want.)

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember someone, maybe on here, saying that a tool watch in precious metal is a watch for tools. ;)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Rolex ceased to be a tool watch with the five-digit references (glossy dial, white gold surrounds).

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1345273

I can live with that. I’ve been called worse! 😂
OK, I change my vote. That watch is just insanely good-looking. I much prefer the classic metal bezel to the ceramic one.
I'm pretty sure Rolex ceased to be a tool watch with the five-digit references (glossy dial, white gold surrounds).
Eh, they still work fine for me; I regularly do stuff like skiing, swimming and diving with 4-, 5- and 6-digit references.

If anything, the newer models are even better than their predecessors in terms of functionality.

You can’t fault the watch for how buyers choose to use or not use them, as they’re still more than up to the tasks for which they were originally designed.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I change my vote. That watch is just insanely good-looking. I much prefer the classic metal bezel to the ceramic one.
:fistbump: Thanks! I also still prefer the thinner hour markers of the 5 digit Daytonas, although the larger lum plots are more functional on the later Daytonas.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Once I learned that the top two subdials of the in-house Daytona did not line up with the hour markers at three and nine, I could not unsee it.

Not that it would reject that watch for that reason if someone gifted it to me or offered it to me for a low price. :sly:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is Hodinkee's posting of an ad posing as a story a new thing? The Chopard "story" currently at the top of its page is pretty blatant. And I like the Alpine Eagle.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were always quite deferential — it’s impossible to find a critical review — but the shift to straight-up advertorials really got underway about four or five years ago when they partnered up with tech money and started releasing their own branded editions with some of the watch companies.

Ironically, their most obsequious ass-kisser is Jack Forster, who once lamented the “toothless” state of watch writing.

I’m not sure how bad the current state is, since I haven’t checked their site in a long time. The reference points series is probably still great; they did an impressive one on the Submariner a year or two ago if I recall correctly.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least the 2 AD's I work with have never mentioned "paying above MSRP" for a Rolex.
One will ship out of state for me and the other flatly refuses.

I would be curious to know just what the Rolex policy is for discounting from MSRP, as I was offered -5% in Macau in December, while nothing in Hong Kong... I would be too scared to entertain the idea of even mentioning to an AD here...

One is super Anal about removing all protective stickers and will not even include the bezel protector, claiming that is is Rolex policy. All sees a little arbitrary IMHO...

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were always quite deferential — it’s impossible to find a critical review — but the shift to straight-up advertorials really got underway about four or five years ago when they partnered up with tech money and started releasing their own branded editions with some of the watch companies.

Ironically, their most obsequious ass-kisser is Jack Forster, who once lamented the “toothless” state of watch writing.

I’m not sure how bad the current state is, since I haven’t checked their site in a long time. The reference points series is probably still great; they did an impressive one on the Submariner a year or two ago if I recall correctly.
I always liked their coverage on new releases for BW and SIHH. It was convenient to see the big brand releases on one site along with detailed descriptions. Other than that, I don't really read the site anymore.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found something beautiful, POR - I thought it might land in my budget. Alas, no. :confused2:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.