1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

Even poetic collection?

2. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

Nope but their older simpler models. HW also present but the higher end diamond loaded ones.

3. Riva

Thank you Timex now we don't have to buy overpriced Rolex, Hermes, and IWC

img_1549859174412.jpg img_1549859184155.jpg img_1549859165200.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

4. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    If your wife is not into diamond decorated watches, men's watches in 33-34mm sizes would be my natural choice.

5. Scuppers

Scuppers Active Member

6. Riva

Cheap but good:

img_1549877203948.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg

7. Riva

8. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

It's almost as if you went and spent an obscene amount of money just to troll this thread. The LV eyes just seals the deal...

9. Riva

Oh you haven't seen the pig dances yet. So cute it's irresistable!

10. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

As others have said, Cartier. My wife has a mens size all steel Tank Francaise automatic, and a steel and rose gold ladies Datejust, and her Tank Francaise get about 90-95% of her wrist time. I think if she got another watch, it would very likely be another Cartier. Another friend's wife wears a JLC Reverso classic size, manual wind, in steel with a steel bracelet. Although, many women would find the manual wind aspect of that watch a pain in the neck. My wife has an aversion to quartz movements (even though I own a Rolex Oysterquartz), and she said she would only consider a manual wind from JLC as a weekend watch. She has too much to do during the work week to worry about whether she remembered to wind her watch. Good luck with whatever you decide.

11. jaypee

jaypee Distinguished Member

Can anyone help identify this piece?

Looks similar to the RAF issues, but i've never seen the RAF with the 5 minute markers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

BTW I neglected to mention this, but the pushers on the ALS chrono were quite satisfying. :inlove:

Watch didn't feel as thick as I thought it might, though these models are all aspirational for me at this point.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Miami's Design District may be the best place in the country to browse watches. All those boutiques concentrated in a small area, with none of the snootiness of NYC stores. I think the sales associates understand that in Miami the guy in shorts and flip-flops may have the means to drop five figures on a watch.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My wife wears her Cartier Tank Basculante most. It fits her wrist well and she says that it's incredibly comfortable - plus it looks like nothing else. She also wears, about equal time, an older Chopard St. Moritz and a JLC thin reverso.

if she is borrowing your larger, no date, sports watches though, maybe that's the route to go. I know some women who like a watch that looks chunky and oversized on their wrist - it's a cool look. I am assuming that your Speedy is 42mm, which is pretty oversized on most women's wrists. How about a Speedy Tuesday? It will be oversized, and since she borrows yours, she'll possibly know that it's rather special. I've seen some full sets floating around - the prices are just under $10K, from what I've seen.

Or maybe go vintage. I lot of fashion people, and I count myself in that number, get jaded, fast. You see so much clothing, that anything modern just starts to look the same. You recognize design elements that are in the zeitgeist, nearly instinctively, and recognize them everywhere, in every thing. Vintage pieces have the advantage of not speaking modern design language. These are not suggestions, but personally, I've been super into the Omega Jedi, especially in gold, recently, and also the Constellation with the TV dial, and the smaller Omega chronographs. Things like that that are unmistakeably *not* modern, but they are also not consciously trying to be novel or innovative, which is often (to me) even more tiresome. Just one point of reference.

15. DLester

DLester Distinguished Member

Is that where CRM is? I like Eric’s YouTube videos.