• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your wife is not into diamond decorated watches, men's watches in 33-34mm sizes would be my natural choice.

Cheap but good:

img_1549877203948.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's almost as if you went and spent an obscene amount of money just to troll this thread. The LV eyes just seals the deal...

Oh you haven't seen the pig dances yet. So cute it's irresistable!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Change of pace - what do your wives/gf wear in the sub 10k range? Wife just got a big promotion and works in fashion and looking to surprise her. She borrows from my collection semi frequently (mostly my no date sub and speedy) so not limited to “ladies” sized options only. Leaning auto/mechanical but not inherently opposed to quartz

As others have said, Cartier. My wife has a mens size all steel Tank Francaise automatic, and a steel and rose gold ladies Datejust, and her Tank Francaise get about 90-95% of her wrist time. I think if she got another watch, it would very likely be another Cartier. Another friend's wife wears a JLC Reverso classic size, manual wind, in steel with a steel bracelet. Although, many women would find the manual wind aspect of that watch a pain in the neck. My wife has an aversion to quartz movements (even though I own a Rolex Oysterquartz), and she said she would only consider a manual wind from JLC as a weekend watch. She has too much to do during the work week to worry about whether she remembered to wind her watch. Good luck with whatever you decide.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help identify this piece?

Looks similar to the RAF issues, but i've never seen the RAF with the 5 minute markers

IMG-0842.jpg

IMG-0857.jpg

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW I neglected to mention this, but the pushers on the ALS chrono were quite satisfying. :inlove:

Watch didn't feel as thick as I thought it might, though these models are all aspirational for me at this point.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy going to that area whenever I'm back home. You should eat at Michael's Genuine if you get a chance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Miami's Design District may be the best place in the country to browse watches. All those boutiques concentrated in a small area, with none of the snootiness of NYC stores. I think the sales associates understand that in Miami the guy in shorts and flip-flops may have the means to drop five figures on a watch.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Change of pace - what do your wives/gf wear in the sub 10k range? Wife just got a big promotion and works in fashion and looking to surprise her. She borrows from my collection semi frequently (mostly my no date sub and speedy) so not limited to “ladies” sized options only. Leaning auto/mechanical but not inherently opposed to quartz
My wife wears her Cartier Tank Basculante most. It fits her wrist well and she says that it's incredibly comfortable - plus it looks like nothing else. She also wears, about equal time, an older Chopard St. Moritz and a JLC thin reverso.

if she is borrowing your larger, no date, sports watches though, maybe that's the route to go. I know some women who like a watch that looks chunky and oversized on their wrist - it's a cool look. I am assuming that your Speedy is 42mm, which is pretty oversized on most women's wrists. How about a Speedy Tuesday? It will be oversized, and since she borrows yours, she'll possibly know that it's rather special. I've seen some full sets floating around - the prices are just under $10K, from what I've seen.

Or maybe go vintage. I lot of fashion people, and I count myself in that number, get jaded, fast. You see so much clothing, that anything modern just starts to look the same. You recognize design elements that are in the zeitgeist, nearly instinctively, and recognize them everywhere, in every thing. Vintage pieces have the advantage of not speaking modern design language. These are not suggestions, but personally, I've been super into the Omega Jedi, especially in gold, recently, and also the Constellation with the TV dial, and the smaller Omega chronographs. Things like that that are unmistakeably *not* modern, but they are also not consciously trying to be novel or innovative, which is often (to me) even more tiresome. Just one point of reference.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Miami's Design District may be the best place in the country to browse watches. All those boutiques concentrated in a small area, with none of the snootiness of NYC stores. I think the sales associates understand that in Miami the guy in shorts and flip-flops may have the means to drop five figures on a watch.

Is that where CRM is? I like Eric’s YouTube videos.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If she's in fashion she should be wearing anything but subs and dj. Cartier is a safe choice but I recommend a used Van Cleef and Arpels or Harry Winston.
I think that a Sub or a Datejust would be cool choices for a woman in fashion. They are sporty, and the sub is stereotypically masculine, so it's a little play on typical menswear tropes.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that a Sub or a Datejust would be cool choices for a woman in fashion. They are sporty, and the sub is stereotypically masculine, so it's a little play on typical menswear tropes.

I was thinking that it'd be too common and looks too similar to smaller women's Rolexes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads