1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. DLester

DLester Distinguished Member

No 4digit sub?

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that a Sub or a Datejust would be cool choices for a woman in fashion. They are sporty, and the sub is stereotypically masculine, so it's a little play on typical menswear tropes.

3. DLester

DLester Distinguished Member

Right, esp an old sub on a nato

4. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

I was thinking that it'd be too common and looks too similar to smaller women's Rolexes.

5. LA Guy

I meant a men's sub. I think that chunky mens sports watches, about 38 mm, can look pretty cool on women.

A Speedy Tuesday on the bracelet cool also look very cool on a smaller woman's wrist. The effect is very different from the same watch on a smaller man's wrist.

6. Riva

Over here women have done it like 4 years ago with subs and Panerais. Now with the PN craze they started using Daytonas.

7. LA Guy

Cool. I guess that I've never been that concerned with that type of micro-trend and where I or others stand on them. If you do, you just end up reacting to them rather than doing things that fit your style.

8. esoxm

esoxm Senior Member

Thanks all for the thoughtful responses. The more I think this through the more I'm leaning towards showing her 5 or 6 different options of things I was thinking about and then track down an actual piece together, although I know that means the budget will likely double with her in the decision making...

The buscalante tank is interesting - I hadn't seen that reference before. I've also been looking at a lot of vintage rolex oyster perpetuals / dates - something like a 15037 on a gator strap maybe - one of the few vintage gold rolex references I've found that isn't completely over decorated with low grade gemstones plus comes with the benefit of me being able to steal it.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

The Tank Basculante is an interesting watch. I believe the small size uses a quartz, but there is a large size manual wind model with a F. Piguet movement. I've usually seen the steel models, but they were available in yellow gold too.

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

11. LA Guy

There is a version of the mecanique which has a sapphire window on the reverse side. I'm pretty against display casebacks, but the one on the mecanique is quite elegant.

12. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

13. Riva

14. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

The plot thickens...

"Condition: Appraised at G-7 Near Fine. This is a genuine Patek Philippe movement, band, and buckle and is in working condition. The case is not original. It appears to be a very finely finished stainless steel case. It has no markings anywhere on it. The buckle is genuine Patek Philippe in platinum and properly marked. There are scratches on the buckle from our testing confirming the platinum content. Note from the appraiser: "This is a fascinating anomaly. From all appearances it has the look of a totally authentic Patek Philippe time piece. In gold this model sells in the $40,000 range, and in platinum, substantially more. Value presented represents extensively researched comps taking in all the factors listed."

15. Riva

Useless franken

img_1550028798684.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019