1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

The Explorer and white dial Daytona both look fantastic, though (par for the course for Rolex on most models recently) the Daytona is too busy between the bezel and dial. The thing that kept me away from that model in the past is the lack of contrast, you simply could not read the time on the current models quickly (black and white dials, at least). That could still be the case with the black, looks like the white is now more contrast and that helps a lot.

One of those will be hard to resist as my next watch.

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Looks like a train wreck. Awful.

1 person likes this.
  3. Viral

Viral Senior member

like an ugly girl who's sloppy drunk!

1 person likes this.
  4. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Nothing wrong with the steel bezel. I don't think the ceramic is better, just different, and its bold/high-contrast look seems less versatile. In my opinion, they both look pretty sweet:

[​IMG]
    image credit: watchanish

Besides, now your Daytona is OG! :cool:

Well put. Sure, it's cool to see the new stuff, but decent mechanical watches really ought be an area which isn't so affected by neomania.

In fact, one could argue that everything new sucks:

"What has happened in the past ten to twenty years is that manufacturers of consumer products have learned that:

Consumers are easily misled and will buy based on features that have numeric specifications attached to them, since they lack the skills and experience to appreciate more subtle, but more fundamental, quality differences."

Mind you, the watch industry isn't entirely immune; it's a lot easier to market gee-whiz specs than it is to communicate how something is made without cutting corners.
    :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    3 people like this.
  5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

I like the looks of both. However, even with a 116520 (or its predecessor) not being dress watches, the steel bezel helped dress them up enough that I could comfortably wear them with a suit for work. The new ceramic bezel Daytona crosses the line into pure sports watch territory, and at least for my line of work, I couldn't wear it with a suit.

1 person likes this.
  6. mimo

mimo Senior member

Interesting point. I have to say that on cool reflection, I think the steel bezeled versions are still better looking. Maybe it's because there is so much ceramic around from different makers. The black on black one looks particularly un-Rolex now. Not that either of the new versions is ugly or anything. I'll say it straight: the non-ceramic models look more classy imho.

Having said that, I laughed at the Playtona when it came out. Then I saw it for real and literally dreamed about it. Rolex is a powerful demon indeed.

2 people like this.
  7. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Agree with this, though it's probably a bit too bold for me. Now if they went back to a brushed bracelet, then maybe the aesthetic would work better for me personally. In the update, I like the black dial version better because I think it hides the "in your face-ness" (if that's a thing) of the new bezel. I prefer the white dial version of the previous model for the reason Dino listed, and I prefer the previous generation model as a whole in general. Hooray for non-ceramic bezels.

8. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Agree with Dino about the higher contrast of the ceramic bezel taking the new Daytonas in a sportier direction. The watch definitely "pops" more -- whether you like that is going to be down to personal taste. To me, it actually helps counterbalance the "bling" of the polished center links, as these are no longer reinforced by a silver bezel and silver chapter rings.

9. Winot

Winot Senior member

Exactly this. And the reason why it's the first Daytona I've been tempted by.

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

To paraphrase something from another non-watch enthusiast forum:

Please sell me all of your old unwanted Daytonas so that you can go buy the new ones. :lol:

4 people like this.
  11. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I read on one of the watch sites ("Watches by SJX," I think), that both models of the Daytona will be available for sale. Any truth to that? What's the logic behind it? I wonder if anyone will be buying the "old" Daytona, especially if the price is the same.

12. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

This is not meant to be any more than an honest question. Why, typically, does one prefer the Daytona to the Speedy? Bullet points are fine.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I had thought the ceramic one was replacing the steel bezeled model, but perhaps I was wrong. That being said, Rolex sold steel bezels Daytonas along side those with black inserts on their manual wind Daytonas from the 1960's through the late 1980s, so there is some precedent for offering both. Whether that will happen, we will just have to wait and see.

14. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Shrug, I would as it's the one I prefer.

15. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Here's the exact quote:

And to answer a question everyone will ask: the new Daytona is an addition to the line, and does not replace the existing ref. 116520 which will continue in production.

I suppose the Deepsea is another model with two versions (two dials, that is), but still, seems like most of the crowd would be drawn to the newer one.

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Newness always creates a frenzy. People were dumping their previous 16520s the minute 116520s became available. People were getting rid of 16710 GMTS when the new ceramic models came out. Yet, there is a thriving interest in 16520s and 16710s and the values are both significantly higher than when they were new. Newness wears off, greatness survives and I think there is room in plenty of collections to own each version.

As someone who owns 2 generations of Daytonas, I wouldn't sell either to get the ceramic model, I would just save up and add a ceramic one, once I know which color I prefer in person.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Seems to me they have such a distinctive difference in tone and personality that there's plenty of room for both - especially as demand has been so consistent over the years. After all, they already sustain the gold/steel version that is cheaper used than the steel one, and several precious metal versions. I think the stable is plenty big enough.

18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm the opposite - I prefer the Speedy Pro to the Daytona.

A large part of that is the price, as I simply wouldn't want to pay as much as a Daytona costs for a "tool watch" and since I've got a Speedy Pro and a Heuer Carrera, I don't feel the need for another three-dial chronograph.

Also, for me, the Daytona is a bit too blingy, with the polished surfaces, and I don't like the design of the pushers for the chronograph functions but those are, of course, entirely subjective opinions - some people would like those features.

19. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I tend to agree. I'm just wondering if I missed some significant heritage/pedigree component to the Daytona. To be perfectly honest, the Speedy to me is pretty much the quintessential chrono, and as you say, the price can't be beat - especially considering the history behind it. If I were in a position to desire several chronos, I would see the Daytona as a strong contender, but it likely wouldn't be the second one I'd add. I might go for a Carrera as well. As such, I feel like I must be missing something.

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

From these two, I feel like I would get...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.