• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get the Rolex.

+1

Back when I believed "Rolex guy" was a type of person, I did everything to avoid liking the manufacture. I assumed they were overrated, overpriced and far too populist. Maybe this is partly true - when you consider it wasn't that long ago when you could buy one for a couple hundred bucks, while now it won't be long before $10k only gets you a basic model.

But when it comes down to it, Rolex's popularity is pretty well-warranted. As a company, they have a mindset that takes both innovation and tradition equally into account. They're like that kid in the classroom that doesn't always jump to raise his hand, but when he does, he's always got the right answer.

Their designs change at a snail's pace, so owners don't rush to upgrade to the newest models all the time. This keeps perceived value consistent and makes buying one pretty much risk-free. Unless you wreck it, you can always get most of your money out. And yet, they've lead some pretty awesome innovations through the years: from things like the oyster case and GMT complication to surprising newer innovations like the Oysterflex bracelet.

Sure, the movements may not be the nicest to look at. But you also don't have to coddle them. Rolex watches can take some punishment.

So don't worry that buying a Rolex will suddenly transform you into some kind of horological Johnny-come-lately; the "Rolex guy." Buy one, as I did, to see if you like it. I'd be willing to bet it'll still be on your wrist a year later.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Well-put. The only thing I have to add is that after seeing the movements on the workbench side-by-side with others around their price bracket, I don't find Rolex's finishing to be deficient at all. They're not decorated, and they're certainly not flashy, but the precision and quality of the finishing is excellent.

The old-school solid caseback makes it easy for those who haven't handled one to take potshots, but I don't see that they're hiding any flaws:

image credit: Rolex

The basic 3130 looks pretty good to me too, and the attention to detail is evident even in my crappy mobile phone photo without any special lighting:

And it's not just the current ones:

Given that they're not meant to be art movements, I'd say they're more than decent, and certainly better than a lot of what I've seen under display backs these days.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Now that I find very stylish. The bezel colour and raised markers defy recent conventions. The dial is simple and clean. The overall look is understated and refined, with a suggestion of heavy industry.

What's the model number?

It's a 3536-02.
They also made with with a white dial in steel and black dial in titanium.
Discontinued around 2003.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Any recommendations for some watch browsing in San Francisco? I know there's a Tourneau and HQ Milton. Heading there for work today and have several hours free tomorrow.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any recommendations for some watch browsing in San Francisco? I know there's a Tourneau and HQ Milton. Heading there for work today and have several hours free tomorrow.

I've enjoyed visiting Shreve.

robw

Reaction score
There was discussion about vintage chronographs recently. Another option that comes to mind is the 1964 Carrera re-edition. I think this came out in 1996 or so. It has a high quality manual wind lemania movement and is faithful to the original, without any of the fake patina or other "vintage" features that are common these days.

Here is mine.

There is also a black dial version, which is nice too.

They are not very hard to find and probably sell in the neighborhood of 2 to 3K these days.

So, you get a vintage (heck it itself is about 20 years old so vintage on top of vintage) looking watch with some history in a relatively modern timepiece. It should not be difficult to get service and so forth.

The only problem I see with this watch is that it is 36 mm, which seems a little small these days, but is what the original was.

Something else to consider.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Wow; that's absolutely beautiful!

Give it a few years and I doubt many will still be saying that the 36 mm diameter is small or undesirable, either. ;)

firenze_rob

Reaction score
^^ To boot, there were two black dialed versions. One that I really like has contrast subdials. For those interested, the reference is CS3110. I have the white dialed version. And if someone wants to buy mine for 3k. PM me!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the IWC GST Aquatimer 3536. Unfortunately, it's an old model, so I don't think that it is part of IWC's current lineup. From memory, it came in a choice of steel or titanium.
Correct, it has been out of production for many years.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Tourneau is pretty meh. I think you need an appointment for HQ Milton?

SteveH35

Reaction score
Anyone into gold? The hue of Omega's "Sedna" gold is to die for. This is a really cool watch that is very rarely seen in all gold.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That gold Omega is indeed gorgeous but I don't even want to know what they're asking for it.

@dopey - huh?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Pi... 
Anyone into gold? The hue of Omega's "Sedna" gold is to die for. This is a really cool watch that is very rarely seen in all gold.

I'm into gold. But I've yet to convince myself to take the plunge with the 116618LB sunburst blue dial. Which makes me wonder if I'm really into it, because I'm not very good at holding back...
5c73d4008d9bb54dde5f35453d81fcc0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics