The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I remember the same experience there, with the Port Royal, pieces from Jaquet-Droz, BP etc. My father and I did business with them, and we got some great deals on VCs, Rolex, Lange, and JLC. As someone fairly local to the area it was astonishing seeing what happened to that business.

Unfortunitely, the BP looks far too large for you. It looks like you are borrowing a friend's watch. Either go with something else that is more reasonably sized, or look to other brands.

Me. I know its basically a rhetorical question, and I know its part of the design so pilots could use the crown while wearing gloves, but I've never liked the crown on them.

Definitely try on these others to see what you think. After trying on a BLNR, I knew it would be my next watch purchase. Go to some shops with an open mind and see what watches fit both your wrist and your needs, and which puts the biggest smile on your face.

Actually, Tudor does get a reasonable amount of love here. I think if I were going to get a Tudor, I'd probably go vintage, and get an original Tudor Sub with the snowflake hand. The new Tudors just seem too bulkie to me. As for the spring bars and wearing them underwater, I think like most diving watches, most probably won't go diving...most will be worn by desk divers.

As for the vibe wearing a Rolex gives...it depends on where you work. In some places many employees wear a Rolex and they wouldn't notice of care if someone else did also. In other places Rolex is the only expensive watch many employees would have heard of so it will seem like a big deal. Not sure how old you are, but once you reach a certain age, it matters little what vibe a watch could give off, what others think of your clothing choices, or the car you drive.

+1 Be it the Tudor or some other diving watch, many will always feel a bit like a Sub-substitute.

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Might pair well with this conservatively-sized necklace.

[​IMG]

3. robw

robw Senior member

Fellow small wrist here. I like the BP a lot and have flirted with it on and off for a while. Here is my take: It is a large watch and supposed to be one. That (with its big crown) is the aesthetic. Unless you are NFL lineman sized, it is going to be big and not proportional to your size. On you, it does look big, but I am OK with it.

Speaking for myself, the main reason I haven't moved on one (besides all the other things that come before indulging in watches) is that it has limited use for me. For work, I mostly wear suits/sport coats with dress shirts and the BP just doesn't work with them. So it would it would be a weekend watch and I have just enough watches in the rotation as is.

If I could wear it regularly, I would think much harder about getting one. So, if you like it and it fits comfortably, which is always a consideration with large watches, and you are Ok with how it looks on you, I'd say go for it.

4. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Blast from the past!

5. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

Amit was a nice guy and obviously very knowledgable about watches. I recall they had a really nice collection of pieces you couldn't see anywhere else. He had a PAM 127 (Fiddy) which I thought was the tits. Being a graduate student at the time, this was way out of my price range. I eventually got a 177 from him that I enjoyed for a number of years before moving on to other things.

@ktown You should just buy the BP and move on with your life. It's only money.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wrist sizes are an interesting thing. It's equally about how flat/round the wrist shape is. and how your wrist tapers up into your forearm, arm and overall body dimensions, as it is about the absolute measurement, I think.

I have a scrawny 6.25" wrist, but given how it's shaped I feel like my 42mm Snoopy Speedmaster "hangs larger" on me than my 44mm 17.5" thick DSSD. I'm equally comfortable wearing 36mm case size pieces as well as "sportier" 44mm "monster" dive watches, although I've never grown fond of anything larger than 44mm.

With that said, @ktown , from the pics you shared, that BP does look a bit too large for you. My two cents worth.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yea, Amit was a good guy. My wife and I went to parties at his parent's home, attended several events he invited us to, and always had fun with him...and yes he really knew a lot about watches. I was mostly looking at stuff there in the 90's as I was also a student. However, by the early 2000s I was buying stuff there, as was my father.

I heard from him a few times after he moved out to Vegas, but I haven't seen him since he left Boston.

8. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

So your arm is like a drop 18?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

9. TwoStep

TwoStep Senior member

[​IMG] sporting the Explorer 2 on Rubber B as my vacation watch

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hahah - more like a drop 10 or 11...

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Can't condone the fruity jewellery, but that looks fantastic. For one reason or another, that watch never quite gets the love of the GMT or Sub, or even the other Explorers. But that looks seriously good on a rubber strap. Great pic!

12. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Frilly has pretty impressive arms; I would re-post one his acrobatic pics here if I could find it...

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

No Rolex Baselworld teaser discussion? It is Daytona related according to their Instagram.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I found something interesting for a pretty fair price, but purchasing from overseas has me wary. It's not a Rolex FWIW.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler