• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, exactly the information and encouragement I was looking for!

The only thing I'll add is that several of the German grey market dealers on chrono24 will sell you a new Orion for 25 - 30% off the retail price. I used mychrono a few weeks ago and was very pleased with the transaction. Before buying used, I would at least check out what a new version will cost you.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Generally I am familiar with grey market in regards to electronics, but what constitutes a grey market watch? I am looking at Chrono24 right now and there are definitely some attractive prices there, including new Orions for ~$1500, which is doable if I hold off another month or so. How do I know which ones are grey market?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brought in to the country legally, but not through the official distribution system = grey. Assuming you're in the USA, anything sent by a dealer from overseas will be grey. Anything bought from nomos directly or one of their dealers (watch buys, toppers, etc) isn't grey. It's not really a meaningful distinction, at least for nomos.

Last edited:

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey TWAT lords, I have a few inquiries hopefully some of you can help me out with. I just recently, after so many years of being interested in clothing, decided that I really like watches too. Dipped my feet in the shallow end with a Stowa Flieger B-Uhr, which is unfortunately back in Stowa's hands because not a month after I received it, something was borked and the watch slows down and often stops when the second hand sweeps over 10-15. I'm praying for a warranty-covered exchange but if a repair will do the job then I won't complain too much.

Anyway, after reading over a lot of posts about watches here the one that caught my eye the most and fits into a reasonable price range for me is the Nomos Orion. Honestly if I could I'd buy a Tangente and Tangomat as well, but the Orion beats all to my eyes. Trying to look around for a good deal on yahoo auctions, eBay, etc. as I figure if I just buy a used watch I'll be able to get something much nicer than $1200 would get me new. Is there a certain vintage I should be looking for to get the right movement? Is there going to be a difference worth being patient for in the hunt for the best deal?

Lastly, where should I be looking to get the watch I want? Currently just checking the well known options like eBay and YHA.

Thanks boys.

The Orion is a fantastic dress watch. Not just in terms of bang for buck, just fantastic overall. It's more attractive than many watches that are far more expensive. It is a great first step into the world of nice watches and it may be the only step you'll need to take.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One great thing about nomos - super cheap and quick movement service. It's an underrated aspect of ownership. Beware the larger cased watches with the old movement though, the sub-second register moves too far from the bezel. .

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally I am familiar with grey market in regards to electronics, but what constitutes a grey market watch? I am looking at Chrono24 right now and there are definitely some attractive prices there, including new Orions for ~$1500, which is doable if I hold off another month or so. How do I know which ones are grey market?

Brought in to the country legally, but not through the official distribution system = grey. Assuming you're in the USA, anything sent by a dealer from overseas will be grey. Anything bought from nomos directly or one of their dealers (watch buys, toppers, etc) isn't grey. It's not really a meaningful distinction, at least for nomos.

This. The sale is technically from an AD with a stamped warranty card that is valid, which is different from how it usually is with a grey market vendor like Jomashop.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this piece has been discussed here a while ago, but anyone strong views either way on this 7day IWC Portuguese (not my pic):
I've never been a fan of the 7 Day IWC Portuguese. I just don't like its dial at all. But if it puts a smile on your face go for it.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a pretty watch, but so thick for what it is. Knock the diameter down my 3mm and the height by 20%, and then we're talking.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
:cheers: here's to 100 pages of the "new" thread! (just happened to notice)

tigerpac

Reaction score
^^^^ A dress watch that's sized like a sports watch. Kind of a weird combo. Definitely try before you buy. I think it wears a little bigger than I'd like for my 7" wrist.

This. While I think it's a pretty watch I feel like it is a better 'in theory' watch than on the wrist.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something about it just looks off to me as well, if we're talking about the one with blue numerals.

In any event, I don't think that would be my preferred IWC if I had the choice.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never been a fan of the 7 Day IWC Portuguese. I just don't like its dial at all. But if it puts a smile on your face go for it.
I like it - except I have this strong aversion to isolated date windows. So for me, I'd be happy with the (older) chronograph. I quite like the white dial with gold markers, but they're all pretty. It is an odd thing conceptually, with a 41mm case and a chronograph at that and yet really most suitable as a dress watch. And the case tapers from face to back so it tends to get caught over your cuff.
It doesn't matter though. The style is now so distinctive I think it has a firm place in watch world. With used prices tumbling away since the new, bigger, smoother in house movement version came out, I think it's finally starting to look like a good deal. Yes please.
Thanks guys - I actually think a date window is key for me and think that the date window at 6 is probably the ideal spot. The 7 day portuguese may be too big overall, but I think it's one of those watches that got the date window down.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't fault you. At the end of the day, you're spending your money, so it's for the best that you get what you really want!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads