The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The only thing I'll add is that several of the German grey market dealers on chrono24 will sell you a new Orion for 25 - 30% off the retail price. I used mychrono a few weeks ago and was very pleased with the transaction. Before buying used, I would at least check out what a new version will cost you.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Generally I am familiar with grey market in regards to electronics, but what constitutes a grey market watch? I am looking at Chrono24 right now and there are definitely some attractive prices there, including new Orions for ~$1500, which is doable if I hold off another month or so. How do I know which ones are grey market?

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Brought in to the country legally, but not through the official distribution system = grey. Assuming you're in the USA, anything sent by a dealer from overseas will be grey. Anything bought from nomos directly or one of their dealers (watch buys, toppers, etc) isn't grey. It's not really a meaningful distinction, at least for nomos.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Ah, got it. Simple enough.

5. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

The Orion is a fantastic dress watch. Not just in terms of bang for buck, just fantastic overall. It's more attractive than many watches that are far more expensive. It is a great first step into the world of nice watches and it may be the only step you'll need to take.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

One great thing about nomos - super cheap and quick movement service. It's an underrated aspect of ownership. Beware the larger cased watches with the old movement though, the sub-second register moves too far from the bezel. .

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This. The sale is technically from an AD with a stamped warranty card that is valid, which is different from how it usually is with a grey market vendor like Jomashop.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I've never been a fan of the 7 Day IWC Portuguese. I just don't like its dial at all. But if it puts a smile on your face go for it.

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I think it's a pretty watch, but so thick for what it is. Knock the diameter down my 3mm and the height by 20%, and then we're talking.

10. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

:cheers: here's to 100 pages of the "new" thread! (just happened to notice)

11. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I only have 50 pages with 40 posts a page.

12. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

This. While I think it's a pretty watch I feel like it is a better 'in theory' watch than on the wrist.

13. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Something about it just looks off to me as well, if we're talking about the one with blue numerals.

In any event, I don't think that would be my preferred IWC if I had the choice.

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Thanks guys - I actually think a date window is key for me and think that the date window at 6 is probably the ideal spot. The 7 day portuguese may be too big overall, but I think it's one of those watches that got the date window down.

15. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Can't fault you. At the end of the day, you're spending your money, so it's for the best that you get what you really want!