1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. mosy

mosy Distinguished Member

Thanks for the engaged response. So I don't usually have $2000 for "toys", but on occasion I do. But even when I do, I try not to use it on toys, but rather save save save. For whatever reason, I am presently willing to drop this amount on a watch or watches. Do keep in mind that if I went with option B, I would likely have one or two watches in the $500-650 range, meaning my top piece won't be $200 as you fear. Having said that, you're point is well taken.

Regarding used options, I'm concerned about the headache of making sure I'm getting a genuine piece. Don't want to do too much homework in that regard. So I definitely prefer new. However I can be convinced to go used.

Regarding me, most days I wear a blazer, dress slacks, and dress shirt, sometimes with a tie. I do wear suits to important meetings about once a week. Overall pretty conservative. I try to wear clothes that have a classic vibe, but with modern fits.

Until about six months ago I was going without a watch. I decided to try wearing one, as I noticed it added a lot to a person's overall appearance, especially up close, like in a meeting. What I also noticed was that from a slight distance away, I oftentimes couldn't tell if a watch was a $50 watch or a $15,000 one. And what was really interesting to me was that when I was closeup with someone, I would often see that it was a mid level employee that was wearing an expensive piece, and the executive was wearing sometime worth much less. So I decided to start with something on the lower end and see where that would lead me.

I knew I wanted an automatic and I settled on an Orient Bambino II, with white dial, dark blue hands, and dark brown alligator strap. I liked the look of the watch and I still do.

Now that I'm used to wearing a watch, I've decided that I'm willing to invest up to $2000 on either one watch or several cheaper (but good quality nonetheless) ones. So that's where I stand.

If I was to go with a single watch, I would most likely go with a leather strap and a light colored dial. I really like the Tag Heuer Carrera, but am very interested in hearing other ideas that are somewhat comparable.

If I went with several watches, I'd probably start with a Tissot Visodate, also with the light colored dial and leather strap, and then build from there. Perhaps a Seiko with a bracelet, maybe a Bulova chronograph, perhaps a black dial Bambino III. Open to suggestions here as well.

And just to get back to "used", if you can give me some fool proof guidance on how to make sure I don't get a fake time-piece, and lead me to some good value ideas, well, who knows, maybe I'll be convinced.

Everyone - feel free to weigh in!!

Thanks again!

Last edited: May 1, 2016

2. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

In that general price range (possibly stretching up to $2.5 - 3K or so?), you might also consider something from Nomos, or maybe a gently used Aqua Terra. And if you stick with reputable dealers (used or gray market), "buy the seller", etc. then statistically there's little chance of getting burned by a straight-up fake. Caveat emptor. And if it seems to good to be true.....

But I'd say that mimo's Black Bay suggestion is a good one if you like divers; and really, if you've always wanted a Tag Carrera and have your heart set on it-- then I would not discourage you with that choice.

Now as for the larger question of whether you are really a "one watch" guy or not (?) .... based on what you have posted here, I suspect you are not :happy: And that's okay. Welcome to the suck.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Distinguished Member

I would agree with the gently used Aqua Terra idea. I went that way recently and am loving it.

4. TheTukker

TheTukker Distinguished Member

I think this piece has been discussed here a while ago, but anyone strong views either way on this 7day IWC Portuguese (not my pic):

[​IMG]

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

^^^^ A dress watch that's sized like a sports watch. Kind of a weird combo. Definitely try before you buy. I think it wears a little bigger than I'd like for my 7" wrist.

6. Monty L

Monty L Senior Member

This, mostly. I might add that if something like an aqua terra Is up your alley, the co-axial (non master) editions can be had new with added discounts for about 2800 via jomashop if you watch for special promotions.

7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

Have it and love it. Not a true dress watch per se but a great casual piece.

8. robw

robw Senior Member

I like all the Portuguese automatics but I am not a fan of that version. The blue numerals and hands IMO take away from the clean lines of the watch. My favorite variation is the rose gold w white dial, notwithstanding it's bulk, is actually very elegant. The stainless with black dial and the white gold with grey (they call it ardoise) are really nice too.

They are all big watches and don't always go easily under shirt cuffs if that matters to you.

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I like it - except I have this strong aversion to isolated date windows. So for me, I'd be happy with the (older) chronograph. I quite like the white dial with gold markers, but they're all pretty. It is an odd thing conceptually, with a 41mm case and a chronograph at that and yet really most suitable as a dress watch. And the case tapers from face to back so it tends to get caught over your cuff.

It doesn't matter though. The style is now so distinctive I think it has a firm place in watch world. With used prices tumbling away since the new, bigger, smoother in house movement version came out, I think it's finally starting to look like a good deal. Yes please.

[​IMG]

10. marvin100

marvin100 Senior Member

Not a dress watch. I like it.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Hey TWAT lords, I have a few inquiries hopefully some of you can help me out with. I just recently, after so many years of being interested in clothing, decided that I really like watches too. Dipped my feet in the shallow end with a Stowa Flieger B-Uhr, which is unfortunately back in Stowa's hands because not a month after I received it, something was borked and the watch slows down and often stops when the second hand sweeps over 10-15. I'm praying for a warranty-covered exchange but if a repair will do the job then I won't complain too much.

Anyway, after reading over a lot of posts about watches here the one that caught my eye the most and fits into a reasonable price range for me is the Nomos Orion. Honestly if I could I'd buy a Tangente and Tangomat as well, but the Orion beats all to my eyes. Trying to look around for a good deal on yahoo auctions, eBay, etc. as I figure if I just buy a used watch I'll be able to get something much nicer than $1200 would get me new. Is there a certain vintage I should be looking for to get the right movement? Is there going to be a difference worth being patient for in the hunt for the best deal?

Lastly, where should I be looking to get the watch I want? Currently just checking the well known options like eBay and YHA.

Thanks boys.

Last edited: May 3, 2016

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Bad luck with the Baumuster B - I love mine.

Regarding the Nomos Orion, I feel much the same. The only thing holding me back is wanting to see in person how the standard 35mm version sits on the wrist. For me, it's better proportioned than the larger one. Anyway, each to his own. As for your specific questions, I think the Orion has had the same movement (in house but based on a Unitas design) all along. And an aggregated search from watchrecon.com might be your friend. Chrono24.com is good for Nomos too, as it has a high proportion of German sellers.

13. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

I doubt you'd be disappointed with a Nomos; they're a company with real integrity that knows their stuff when it comes to designing and producing watches. The Orion series is a favourite, and don't rule out the simple and perfect Club models, either. The basic Club is one you should really check out in person if you get the chance; the dial is just awesome, and the simplest 36 mm no-date version is surprisingly substantial. There's no watch I'd recommend more highly around the $1200 mark for what you seem to be looking for.

Patience is always a virtue when it comes to getting stuff. Personally, I'm not a big ebay guy. I typically use watchrecon.com to check out the secondary market, which is a non-commercial site that aggregates private forum listings from several watch-nerd sites and makes them searchable. Chrono24 seems popular, but it's a commercial site that's almost exclusively higher-priced dealer listings, and I've never bought a watch using it.

Last edited: May 3, 2016

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Thanks guys, exactly the information and encouragement I was looking for!

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Just to explain further on Chrono24: some of the big grey dealers use it, and it is indeed a commercial broker. But I mention it specifically in this instance because it's a German company. Nomos haven't been around that long, and a lot of their used watches are still in the hands of ordinary German folks, who also advertise a lot on this site. I've found some reasonable prices there as a result on Nomos, and though I haven't bought one, I did buy a couple of GUBs from people there.