• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

inTROYspection

Reaction score
Ordered a reverse stripe Oxford in the Archive sale. The fabric is more crisp, refined, and shiny than my other OCBDs from Drake's. Forgive the possible amateur nature of my question, but can someone tell me if there are different types of Oxford cloth? I know there can be different weights, but the texture of this particular shirt feels closer to a dress shirt.

IMG_4796.jpg

mbb355

Reaction score
Final haul from the archive sale:
  • Teddy polo coat
  • Waxed linen D43 jacket
  • Corduroy blanket blouson
  • Surf breaker jacket
  • Donegal integrated collar jumper
  • Cashmere intarsia golf jumper
Regrettably they sent me the Teddy polo coat in a 42 (I ordered a 40) and it's a bit too large for me, so it's going to be going back. The D43 is a beautiful fabric, but the cut and the epaulettes don't suit me all that well, so that will be going back too.

Everything else was absolutely excellent, in particular the integrated collar jumper and the corduroy blanket blouson. The surf breaker surprised me, really nice cut and very practical.
Always liked the corduroy blouson, nice pick-up

mbb355

Reaction score
Ordered a reverse stripe Oxford in the Archive sale. The fabric is more crisp, refined, and shiny than my other OCBDs from Drake's. Forgive the possible amateur nature of my question, but can someone tell me if there are different types of Oxford cloth? I know there can be different weights, but the texture of this particular shirt feels closer to a dress shirt.

View attachment 1616937
I don't know precisely but I think the answer is yes. After all, there are "pinpoint" oxfords, which are lighter-weight and less textured than heavier, coarser oxfords. Oxfords vary plenty in weight and texture, and with those variations come differences in formality.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1616937
I don't know precisely but I think the answer is yes. After all, there are "pinpoint" oxfords, which are lighter-weight and less textured than heavier, coarser oxfords. Oxfords vary plenty in weight and texture, and with those variations come differences in formality.

The short answer is yes, there are several different types of Oxford cloth.

Longer answer, in general, the main types of Oxford cloth are; regular Oxford, pinpoint Oxford, royal Oxford. Each of these can be made in various weights by different mills, so the variety is nearly endless.

If you browse the archive sale, or search just for blue OCBD, you will see several slightly different versions from various seasons past, all with slightly different color of blue, and likely slight variations in weight due to suing cloth from different mills etc.

inTROYspection

Reaction score
The short answer is yes, there are several different types of Oxford cloth.

Longer answer, in general, the main types of Oxford cloth are; regular Oxford, pinpoint Oxford, royal Oxford. Each of these can be made in various weights by different mills, so the variety is nearly endless.

If you browse the archive sale, or search just for blue OCBD, you will see several slightly different versions from various seasons past, all with slightly different color of blue, and likely slight variations in weight due to suing cloth from different mills etc.

That's helpful.

I just looked at my order confirmation email again, and the word "Oxford" doesn't actually appear in the item description. It just says "Sky Blue Butchers Stripe Cotton Button-Down Shirt." Based on the picture I posted above, is it possible that the shirt isn't even an Oxford cloth?

Trevallon

Reaction score
Anyone else still waiting for archive orders? I ordered last Thursday but never received a confirmation email. Customer services confirmed the order was received and that Crosby St were handling it. As yet I have not received shipping confirmation and customer service say they have contacted Crosby street for an update without reply.
I’m not the type to become impatient but it’s a bit disconcerting when no one seems to know what’s going 8 days after ordering.
I placed my order on thursday and received it tuesday this week. But I got a confirmation email right after ordering. I have ordered twice from the archive sale and the handling and shipping has always been excellent and fast. With all the horror stories concerning the archive sale floating around, I guess I have been lucky.

wahnamhong

Reaction score

View attachment 1616937
That is actually a really nice shirt. The erratic nature of the archivesale, where things may come out differently than you had expected, can be positive as well. As mentioned already I thought I had ordered a sky blue cotton bengal stripe but received a bengal linen instead, which I like even more. Especially for the 100 euro I paid.
3097118F-28FB-4BEE-9F4B-AAD8329D7D0F.jpeg

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Sad to report that the Brown, Green and Burgundy Houndstooth jacket is probably going back. The fit is impeccable, but unless I'm mistaken, the jacket is entirely uncanvassed. There's a 3x5" piece of what appears to be fusible interlining near the armpit area on the interior of the jacket and that's it.

It's one thing for a jacket like this to not have any canvassing but for Drake's to advertise "Half-Canvas Construction" is unacceptable, especially at the prices they charge. I'm curious if this design was a one-off or perhaps some of their other tweeds are made the same way but this lack of transparency leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
The Fawn Tuscan Tweed blazer which I returned was also uncanvassed. They are from the same season. I’ve only been buying Drake’s for 2-3 years or so, but I think they are just trying to offer some variability over the years. It would become boring if they would bring the same type of houndstooth blazer every autumn.

Same for the D-43 ‘sport’ jacket from this season. From what I’ve seen previous D-43s were mostly (waxed) linen, and now they have brought this more technical fabric. I can see how someone would see this new iteration as being inferior, but to me it’s a great change. I’m wearing mine quite a lot. And then if next season they bring back the waxed linen I might go for a blue one instead.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is actually a really nice shirt. The erratic nature of the archivesale, where things may come out differently than you had expected, can be positive as well. As mentioned already I thought I had ordered a sky blue cotton bengal stripe but received a bengal linen instead, which I like even more. Especially for the 100 euro I paid. View attachment 1617456

Did they actually ever sell this shirt in the main collection? I don’t remember seeing button down linen — it’s really very nice. Great find!

kentpope

Reaction score
The Fawn Tuscan Tweed blazer which I returned was also uncanvassed. They are from the same season. I’ve only been buying Drake’s for 2-3 years or so, but I think they are just trying to offer some variability over the years. It would become boring if they would bring the same type of houndstooth blazer every autumn.

Definitely agree that some variety is nice, but the least they can do is be transparent about it. Fabric is lovely and the fit is spot-on, but I have some reservations about how well it's going to age without any structure whatsoever. In some respects, it's more of a tweed overshirt that just happens to be cut like a blazer than a traditional tailored jacket.

Maybe someone who has more hands-on experience with tailoring can weigh in but I'm not sure I feel comfortable taking the risk on the jacket not holding up well over time. Which is a real shame as it's otherwise a lovely garment.

Shetterd

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads