• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Octobab

Reaction score
How do you find the length and silhouette on the new raglans?

From tryng on myself, plus seeing them on multiple people around the city and at other events at Canal St, they're stunning. That giant loden pleat just works magic, proportions all around are perfect. They're just so damned expensive.

LiamMcM

Reaction score
An alternative to the Drake’s raglan coat is the Chrysalis Kensington coat. They go for about 1,200 USD. Pretty sure they used to make coats for Drake’s. Some shops offer MTO versions. E.g. Eddie Jacobs in Baltimore, MD offers that service

garigo

Reaction score
On the topic of alternatives, I am considering for the future to commission a raglan coat through Husbands in Paris. They have a similar dramatic silhouette and big pleat in the back, and offer an MTO program.

Manteau-Raglan-droit-mélange-bleu-canard-1-scaled.jpg
Manteau-Raglan-droit-mélange-bleu-canard-3-scaled.jpg

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabric looks similar with the coat NMWA did. Not into the pleat and belt. One or the other is fine but not both. That back pic isn’t not it imo.

hamish5178

Reaction score
—scrutinizing tie designs for ages paid off, because raglans went from 40% off to $995 at some point yesterday morning before I checked out. I'm typically a 38 but went with a 40, mostly for sleeve length but I appreciate that it covers my knees as well. Body doesn't feel too big at all.

2193B812-E9C2-4324-90CA-3244CCDD3E8A.jpeg

Fabric on the plaid one is very cool up close. Lots of texture and very lofty, very different from the denser/stiffer fabric on my other coat (DBF grandad).

CF3090B6-0755-407F-91AD-6DE28D73DABD.jpeg

wahnamhong

Reaction score
On the topic of raglan coats. There seems to be quite some dichotomy in popularity: the navy, blackwatch and grey chequered one are all almost sold out, whereas the unicolour grey and the tweed gunclub are still available in all sizes. Do people think the gunclub cannot easily be combined? Or is it deemed to be too flashy?

Nat25

Reaction score
On the topic of raglan coats. There seems to be quite some dichotomy in popularity: the navy, blackwatch and grey chequered one are all almost sold out, whereas the unicolour grey and the tweed gunclub are still available in all sizes. Do people think the gunclub cannot easily be combined? Or is it deemed to be too flashy?

The solid grey was the best/most versatile/timesless in person in my opinion and that's the one I bought. I could have bought any of the colors. My guess would be they produced more of the solid grey coats but not sure.

drentco

Reaction score
—scrutinizing tie designs for ages paid off, because raglans went from 40% off to $995 at some point yesterday morning before I checked out. I'm typically a 38 but went with a 40, mostly for sleeve length but I appreciate that it covers my knees as well. Body doesn't feel too big at all.

View attachment 1741204

Fabric on the plaid one is very cool up close. Lots of texture and very lofty, very different from the denser/stiffer fabric on my other coat (DBF grandad).

View attachment 1741206
Were there any more of these in 42?

wahnamhong

Reaction score
So, how did you find the blackwatch and gunclub in real life? Supposing you have seen them all.

The navy being popular I get, it’s a timeless colour (though there are lots of navy coats, I have the Barbanera db one for example). I wanted to get a coat both to be worn over a navy suit but also over jeans. That is why initially I wanted to get a blackwatch but now I am thinking of the gunclub since the blackwatch is out of stock. Would the gunclub tweed coat match well with say a navy chalkstripe suit?

Nat25

Reaction score
So, how did you find the blackwatch and gunclub in real life? Supposing you have seen them all.

The navy being popular I get, it’s a timeless colour (though there are lots of navy coats, I have the Barbanera db one for example). I wanted to get a coat both to be worn over a navy suit but also over jeans. That is why initially I wanted to get a blackwatch but now I am thinking of the gunclub since the blackwatch is out of stock. Would the gunclub tweed coat match well with say a navy chalkstripe suit?

The grey is not a solid grey. It has flecking that gives it texture/depth, it feels more like a subtle herringbone or donegal. while they are both very nice, I didn't really love the black watch or gun club as a versatile every day jacket, which was what I was looking for.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of alternatives, I am considering for the future to commission a raglan coat through Husbands in Paris. They have a similar dramatic silhouette and big pleat in the back, and offer an MTO program.

View attachment 1741169 View attachment 1741170
Long back pleats add fullness in the wrong spot for Bals/Raglans, and the upper chest area in that coat lacks fullness. Combine it with a belt, and it creates a relatively feminine silhouette.

Nothing wrong with a feminine or A-line silhouette(normal for raglans), but the overall silhouette can still be improved.

I'd get rid of the back pleat altogether and add that fullness into the upper chest, then keep the belt.

@TheShetlandSweater is the one who pointed out to me that belted raglans have a lot of room to go wrong, he might have some other critiques or comments.

Octobab

Reaction score

My guess is that this is 100% to do with production volumes. Grey herringbone and gunclub are very popular in general right now across the board, and so were probably made in very large quantities.

The gunclub has seemed in person seemed to me to have a very lofty/soft hand that I'd be slightly worried about being too texturally similar to flannel (pretty sure it's melton wool, or something similar), but that's really just me being neurotic.

The color palette is relatively muted and warm, I wouldn't necessarily call it flashy, but also you're gonna be covering 80% of your body with a repeating pattern, so..

Octobab

Reaction score
Long back pleats add fullness in the wrong spot for Bals/Raglans, and the upper chest area in that coat lacks fullness. Combine it with a belt, and it creates a relatively feminine silhouette.

Nothing wrong with a feminine or A-line silhouette(normal for raglans), but the overall silhouette can still be improved.

I'd get rid of the back pleat altogether and add that fullness into the upper chest, then keep the belt.

@TheShetlandSweater is the one who pointed out to me that belted raglans have a lot of room to go wrong, he might have some other critiques or comments.

Maybe it's just the grass being greener, but with my current, non-belted raglan, I find I really wish I had one. Buttoned up (a necessity in real winter) I feel like I end up with a very 'Leon the Professional' silhouette, straight down from the shoulders. It also means there's a somewhat excessive amount of air space inside; I feel like it could be warmer and more practical with a belt to cinch things down.

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Thanks.. I was in their London shop a few months ago and did not really notice the raglan winter coats at the time. I did notice the raglan mac in houndstooth, which I really liked. I guess I’d rather go for that one then instead of the gunclub wool. Still on the fence re the blackwatch raglan. They are all around 1500 euro so I can only choose one!

B758DA82-6854-46A5-AA7C-A3082BCCEF88.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads