• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

y7bbb6

Reaction score

I've always just placed the order normally (without adjusting the price) and they've only ever charged me the sale price for stuff that was on sale. They'll put a hold on your credit card for the total amount, but they don't charge the card until they ship, so the final charge could be lower than the amount they've put on hold. edit: Two questions on the uu sweatpants: 1. Has anyone seen the wine color in person? Seems like it could look either kind of cool or kind of stupid and difficult to wear. 2. I think I remember someone saying to size up. Is that just for the legs, or does the waist run small, too? I went with a small in the uu cropped sweatpants from the spring/summer collection, and they fit perfectly.
31" waist, 21" thigh, 14" calf. I love the color, and the fit is good (S). It'll look better when I cut weight, but I'm glad I didn't go with M. They look good paired with darker colors, though the white T always works. I was surprised that they're fantastic with desert boots, but then again mine started darker than most:
DSC_0468.JPG
DSC_0476.JPG
dubbed my beeswax with black wax.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions on a Uniqlo sweater? I'm looking for anything that isn't ill fitting, such as a Banana Republic sweater (yuck). Something slim but not body tight as I usually wear a slim-fit dress shirt underneath.

If the following, should I go with small (my size) or size down :
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=072551

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have suggestions on a Uniqlo sweater? I'm looking for anything that isn't ill fitting, such as a Banana Republic sweater (yuck). Something slim but not body tight as I usually wear a slim-fit dress shirt underneath.

If the following, should I go with small (my size) or size down :
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=072551

I find that the fit between Uniqlo and Banana Republic is pretty much the same. The Banana Republic and Gap sweaters I have seem pretty slim fitting.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that the fit between Uniqlo and Banana Republic is pretty much the same. The Banana Republic and Gap sweaters I have seem pretty slim fitting.

It's been a while since I had a BR sweater, so I could have been recalling wrong past memory. I do have a Jcrew slim fit sweater, and it's pretty slim, maybe a tad too slim. But I'd prefer to find sweaters in a better price range.

Hmm, think I might just pull the trigger and order through Sudfenlee.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just tried mine on, I'm generally a small in everything but an xs in uniqlo dress shirts and t shirts and this fits fine as a small.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's the thing:

1. Extra Fine Merino sweater is only good TTS if you are fit IMO or just hugs you in all the wrong places. That and if you plan on wearing a shirt like OCBD underneath, definitely size up 1.
  2. Lambswool you can stay TTS, maybe even size down 1 as it is a bit more robust and fuller in the body. Also, due to the hand is not as tailored and fitted say its thinner counterpart EFM wool sweater.
  3. Cashmere is butter soft. Not even kidding you, 3 guys were touching and running their fingers down the sweater including myself and we all concurred. Did not get a chance to try on though but from what I can see from the SA holding it up, it is more similar to the lambswool in terms of fit.

Let's just say the ribbing is much more forgiving on the lambswool than EFM wool sweater.

For beaters and on promotional sale prices, these knits are good fillers in a wardrobe e.g. I use all mine for work purposes.

IMO the lambswool may wear better overtime just due to the composition and robustness of the hand. Fibers are much more tightly woven together and hardy. The EFM wool sweater on the other hand is pretty much done for if you get a snag. Worse is the seams at the underarm may even rip if you size incorrectly or gain mass (Happened to me though I think it was shipped with the tear already - QC check).

I would recommend the lambswool TTS or size down one depending on whether you want to wear it as a standalone piece or layering purposes. Cashmere and EFM wool sweater are neck-and-neck as it is preference and whether you want to pay the $50 price tag difference.

Stay warm, dudes. Winter is coming

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also about the Uniqlo Tasmanian suits especially jacket, here is my 'stance'

When viewed from the right angle, the buttoning point is not that bad i.e. as high as some make it out to be, including myself, though something definitely not agreeable if you asked most of MC'ers.

As you can see when taken from below waist level as in the gray suit, it looks a bit off especially from the button downward to the opening quarters. On the other hand, the navy suit that was photographed illustrates a complete different fitting.

Also take into consideration that 1) The two jackets were tailored by different shops where the gray was my first foray into alternating a jacket (Took 2-3 times as the first alteration came out with the quarters exaggerating my hips and proportions poorly) 2) As stated, different camera angles, which also reveals how key photography is when and if you decide to post a photo like say contributing to the "What Are You Wearing Today" thread (WAYWT).

As a first suit I like it overall, but would like something nicer later on. I would also recommend tailoring the matching pants as the original hem is on the large side. The navy suit has a 7" hem and the gray has about 7.75" and the former having little to no break whereas the latter I did not know what it meant to have a "break" i.e. stacking by SW&D terms (All after an alteration -- original hem on a size 31 was about 8.25 +/-)

Hopefully F/W '12 brings about better fitting and styled jackets, which I am hoping for or I'll just roll with what I have. I think I wrote about this suit offered by Uniqlo before but it bears reminding since questions do come up every few months.

Last edited:

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gettoasty, the navy suit looks better. Did you taper from the knee down to a 7" hem?

I also found the leg opening to be pretty big, so I just hemmed it a bit shorter.

airblaster503

Reaction score
I need a cheap suit for a upcoming wedding and was thinking Uniqlo but I have gained weight and think I would possibly need to size up to a Large. Anyone comment for someone with 18" shoulders and 41.5" chest? Think the sleeves would be to long on a large and not sure if I could shorten them from the wrists.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As the cuffs are non-functional you can alter them with ease.

Large will be best for you in their slim fit cut. Medium if non-slim fit.

I take a medium FWIW in their slim fit jacket as photoed as my shoulders usually are good with 17.25 - 17.5"
I didn't take in the chest but you may as well if you are going by their online measurements. They are pretty accurate but maybe a little +/- off

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

31" waist, 21" thigh, 14" calf. I love the color, and the fit is good (S). It'll look better when I cut weight, but I'm glad I didn't go with M.
They look good paired with darker colors, though the white T always works. I was surprised that they're fantastic with desert boots, but then again mine started darker than most:

Awesome, thanks for the measurements.

eseanyang

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got the utility parka, however sleeves are too long on my short t-rex arms so its on streetwear buy and sell now. They fit pretty true to size, I am 5''8, 148 pounds. I would not recommend sizing down much on these.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads