• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may well do that.

The only thing that puts me off (slightly) is that it may be a bit unwieldy and imbalanced.

It is very nice and I too refereed to it as the "pine cone brolly".
biggrin.gif

Didn't even realize it was an umbrella, thought that was a walking stick.

Lucy J

Reaction score
OMG - one of my clients gave me a Maglia umbrella today as a present.. They knew I was an umbrellaphile (is that a real word) and thought it would be a nice gift to mark 5 years working with them. Beautiful navy umbrella with a red stripe pattern. Seems very sturdy but don't know if i will dare risk it in Brighton winds - time will tell......

DanielBA

Reaction score
OMG - one of my clients gave me a Maglia umbrella today as a present.. They knew I was an umbrellaphile (is that a real word) and thought it would be a nice gift to mark 5 years working with them. Beautiful navy umbrella with a red stripe pattern. Seems very sturdy but don't know if i will dare risk it in Brighton winds - time will tell......
Maglia's designs (as well as Mario Talarico) with their Italian touch are excellent... the one you mentioned, in navy with red stripes is my favourite. Note that there are certain parts of Italy plenty of wind too, so, (I assume) it will work in the UK.

Lucy J

Reaction score
First test for my Maglia today in blustery showers in Brighton.... Stood up well although it certainly wasn't umbrella-threatening winds - co-ordinated it with my red mac and navy ankle boots..
2614.png
2764.png

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
I own two Talaricos and a Maglia. Didn't notice any difference in quality with James Smith & Sons on my recent visit despite the lower cost for the Italians. Did like the James Smith shop though - a real step back in time.

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you believe James Smith has the edge over the Fox Umbrella?

I am going for a Hickory solid stick teamed with french blue canopy this time.

Not sure if I should continue with the Fox Co. or give another maker a chance. Love the Brigg umbrella as well, though their prices do irritate me a bit and am not certain if they are worth the extra ~30% compared to Fox.

DanielBA

Reaction score
Do you believe James Smith has the edge over the Fox Umbrella?

I am going for a Hickory solid stick teamed with french blue canopy this time.

Not sure if I should continue with the Fox Co. or give another maker a chance. Love the Brigg umbrella as well, though their prices do irritate me a bit and am not certain if they are worth the extra ~30% compared to Fox.
If you can, I suggest to you buy from another maker... variety is always better... my next umbrella is going to be a James Smith, and, I agree with you about Brigg's pricing.

If you can visit James Smith, may I ask you if you can upload some photos?... the photos of the web site are poor and do not fit with the product quality... I am going to buy a "hand made classic city umbrella with Whangee cane" on the James Smith website, because it looks slimmer than the one I bought at Brigg, with solid stick (sometimes looks like a walking stick). The only problem is the fact that, as mentioned, there only a poor photo of the cane handle. The description is fine, but is not enough for me, without photos.

Lucy J

Reaction score
Travelled up to London this morning and carried my new Maglia. Several people commented on it, even when closed. I've used it a couple of times since getting it and it feels pretty sturdy but I don't think I'm going to risk it in Brighton gales for this winter at least.

Lucy J

Reaction score
First umbrella damage of the winter at the weekend when the gusts of Storm Angus and the lashing rain overwhelmed my solid stick Brigg.

I'm actually disappointed in the Brigg because I'm sure the replacement frame was not as sturdy as previously. The original frame lasted me 9 years (plus is was my boyfriends umbrella for a few years before that) but when it was battered in December 2013 it really was in violent storm (almost hurricane) conditions. After that it needed to be repaired in summer 2015 when the frame blew in on itself, and on Saturday night the frame collapsed again. Granted the winds were gusting to 45 or 50 mph but I think the original frame would have held up in that. Anyone else with similar experiences of Brigg solid stick frames??? I should add that my Brigg golfers seem fine but the construction is quite different and I should probably have taken one of them with me on Saturday as the forecast was for it to be pretty rough .......

Lucy J

Reaction score
Bought myself a couple of Christmas presents today - was up in London and got a dark blue Burberry trench to wear when I'm carrying my Maglia, and then went to my favourite hat shop and picked up a fur felt fedora in navy as well.... A very expensive afternoon but I'm worth it
1f444.png
1f485.png
1f460.png
1f44d.png

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love your reports, Lucy J .. You are keeping this thread alive!

Now that you mentioned, I am on the market for a decent trench coat. I like the Burberry, but found the Aquascutum to have more of that "Good old days charm" ..

What are the thoughts here ..

Lucy J

Reaction score

Love your reports, Lucy J .. You are keeping this thread alive! 

Now that you mentioned, I am on the market for a decent trench coat. I like the Burberry, but found the Aquascutum to have more of that "Good old days charm" .. 

What are the thoughts here .. 

Thanks for your support - as possibly the only girl on this thread I sometimes feel I get passed by....

I have 4 Burberry trenches now (stone, red and black which I've had for a while plus the new dark blue) but for when the rain is really lashing down I have a purple waterproof raincoat from Mackintosh and also a long black PVC hooded raincape. Haven't tired Aquascutum - are they showerproof or waterproof?

Lucy J

Reaction score
Nice umbrella. My sister bought me a London Undercover long walking umbrella for Xmas. Black on the outside and a streetmap of London on the inside - it's really cute and the frame feels really sturdy so it should be OK to use here in Brighton and also for my trips up to London.

In other umbrella news, my navy Maglia had its first real test on the evening of 23 December when I used it to walk to a party in heavy rain and winds over 40mph.It needed a tight grip in both hands as the wind was really pushing it around but I managed not to let the wind get under it. It came through pretty well. Probably not as strong as my Brigg golfers or my Fulton Cyclone but it received lots of favourable comments when I arrived.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads