• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my Vass shoes yesterday : 2 pairs
- 1 London 5-eyelet * U in size 41,5 Color & Leather: gold museum
- 1 Alt English * F in size 41,5 Color & Leather: brown museum calf
First time I am getting shoes from that brand.
Globally speaking, I am happy with my new shoes. Fitting is good even if I am wondering size 41 should have been better for me. I like feeling tight in my shoes.
Vass is not doing half size of shoe trees. So I asked shoe trees in size 42. I think it was a good decision because shoe tree in size 42 is just half compresed in my 41,5 shoe size. Shoe tree in size 41 should have been definitely too small.

The only bad point is the leather quality of the shoe Alt English * F : I can see veins on the leather :eek:
See images below.
I don't know if it's a big quality issue or if it's "normal" (and bad luck for me).
People here who have a lot of Vass shoes, what you think ? Should I complain and send back shoes ?
Please advice :rolleyes:

View attachment 1404917 View attachment 1404918
I am curious to see how others respond to your questions. If you are dissatisfied with the leather quality, as I would be, email Vass and express your concerns. Knowing how their custom service skills arent on par with other brands, you may suggest how they should address this leather quality issue. I think it is important to think of it this way, if you would have been shown the shoes with the leather quality issue, how much would you have paid for them? 10 %, 15 %, 20 %, etc less than if there were no leather quality issue?

Deeky

Reaction score
Both of my Vass shoes have some small veins on the uppers (at the sides mostly), but i'm not bothered at all - these are handwelted shoes at 400-500 euros. Even taking this into account, I think they still represent the best value proposition at this price point. 400 euros probably wouldnt get you seconds at EG/JL etc.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of my Vass shoes have some small veins on the uppers (at the sides mostly), but i'm not bothered at all - these are handwelted shoes at 400-500 euros. Even taking this into account, I think they still represent the best value proposition at this price point. 400 euros probably wouldnt get you seconds at EG/JL etc.
EG you’re still looking at £600 (including VAT) in calf or north of £750 for Cordovan (both in boots - not sure if shoes are a lower price). To be fair, I have several EG seconds and I haven’t found what the QC issue is with any of them. If anyone gets the chance, it’s well worth a trip to Northampton. JL is there too, but the EG factory shop has a lot more stock.

Vince131

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your different point of views.
I have paid this pair of shoes 504 euros including VAT (I am living in France). There is 10% discount compared to normal price : https://vass-shoes.com/shop/alt-english-f-brownmuseumcalf/
In my size (41,5) it was the only one. So no chance to change it ...
For my order, I was already in touch with Ms. Reka Tarpataki, Vass sales manager. I expressed to her my leather issue. I will let you know when she reply ...

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your different point of views.
I have paid this pair of shoes 504 euros including VAT (I am living in France). There is 10% discount compared to normal price : https://vass-shoes.com/shop/alt-english-f-brownmuseumcalf/
In my size (41,5) it was the only one. So no chance to change it ...
For my order, I was already in touch with Ms. Reka Tarpataki, Vass sales manager. I expressed to her my leather issue. I will let you know when she reply ...

I think they look great. Try and keep in mind this is a hand made product in a natural material, there will be some flaws which is part of the charm. Not to mention that they will be anywhere from 5-6 feet away from your eyes anytime you wear them, not to mention trousers covering part of them as well.

If it were a large visible flaw across the vamp or toe, or a structural issue like a tear or cut, I could see raising the question. However I would not worry so much about this. You will likely scuff them at some point causing a much more noticeable mark than the veins.

-DL

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these QC issues like that occur because:

1) Vass is getting more popular, therefore more cases of QC problems.
2) Vass is trying to increase production to meet increased demand and quality took a toll.
3) Combination of #1 and #2.

Vince131

Reaction score
I think they look great. Try and keep in mind this is a hand made product in a natural material, there will be some flaws which is part of the charm. Not to mention that they will be anywhere from 5-6 feet away from your eyes anytime you wear them, not to mention trousers covering part of them as well.

If it were a large visible flaw across the vamp or toe, or a structural issue like a tear or cut, I could see raising the question. However I would not worry so much about this. You will likely scuff them at some point causing a much more noticeable mark than the veins.

-DL
Thank you DavidLane for your point of view. I agree with you and finally this veins issue is not so much visible ...

Nevertheless, this is the 1rst time and maybe the last time I am buying shoes from Vass. Despite the fact the leather is just average considering a 500€ shoe (expectations are coming with high price), communication with them is just a nightmare :brick:. Absolutely no advice regarding sizing, no answers to emails as long as you don't place an order. On top of that, no one has still replied to my e-mail regarding my veins issue. I am doubtful I will get one day an answer ...
What I don't understand is according to me most of their business is done through their Website and emails. So with such a communication gap, their business might be badly impacted.
I used to deal with other brands (Cubbler Union for example). Price range is lower compared to Vass but communication is far better. When you buy shoes from home you need advice and guidance to make the right choice. A lot of brands are just very good in doing that.

As a conclusion, I am sure I will enjoy my Vass shoes but right now I am not ready to buy again from Vass. If they solve their communication problem, I will change my mind for sure ...

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my Vass shoes yesterday : 2 pairs
- 1 London 5-eyelet * U in size 41,5 Color & Leather: gold museum
- 1 Alt English * F in size 41,5 Color & Leather: brown museum calf
First time I am getting shoes from that brand.
Globally speaking, I am happy with my new shoes. Fitting is good even if I am wondering size 41 should have been better for me. I like feeling tight in my shoes.
Vass is not doing half size of shoe trees. So I asked shoe trees in size 42. I think it was a good decision because shoe tree in size 42 is just half compresed in my 41,5 shoe size. Shoe tree in size 41 should have been definitely too small.

The only bad point is the leather quality of the shoe Alt English * F : I can see veins on the leather :eek:
See images below.
I don't know if it's a big quality issue or if it's "normal" (and bad luck for me).
People here who have a lot of Vass shoes, what you think ? Should I complain and send back shoes ?
Please advice :rolleyes:

View attachment 1404917 View attachment 1404918

I have sold many pair of Vass shoes when I was an agent for them.

First, you are the end customer and if you are not happy with the shoes, you have the right to return them. It is an expensive pair of shoes and they should be perfect in your eyes.

Me personally, I do not see this as such a big quality issue. The leather has been used on the back part of the shoe, on purpose. If it were the vamp area, it would have been a different story. Just my opinion though.

gmehra

Reaction score
Thank you DavidLane for your point of view. I agree with you and finally this veins issue is not so much visible ...

Nevertheless, this is the 1rst time and maybe the last time I am buying shoes from Vass. Despite the fact the leather is just average considering a 500€ shoe (expectations are coming with high price), communication with them is just a nightmare :brick:. Absolutely no advice regarding sizing, no answers to emails as long as you don't place an order. On top of that, no one has still replied to my e-mail regarding my veins issue. I am doubtful I will get one day an answer ...
What I don't understand is according to me most of their business is done through their Website and emails. So with such a communication gap, their business might be badly impacted.
I used to deal with other brands (Cubbler Union for example). Price range is lower compared to Vass but communication is far better. When you buy shoes from home you need advice and guidance to make the right choice. A lot of brands are just very good in doing that.

As a conclusion, I am sure I will enjoy my Vass shoes but right now I am not ready to buy again from Vass. If they solve their communication problem, I will change my mind for sure ...
how would you rate the quality of Vass Shoes vs Cobbler Union Shoes? Just quality of the shoe not customer service

E. coli

Reaction score
In spite of the slight delay and less than stellar communication, my first pair is ??. Beautifully crafted and no quality issues, the fit is a little snug but the shell should stretch as they break in.
Af
4502DE08-FD31-41FB-8602-5EFBCF74797A.jpeg
A3115904-5AA9-47F5-9868-BF6CA5313B46.jpeg
4AEB8435-1F6F-461A-89CF-A4B9FB7D24E0.jpeg

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Quite frankly, knowing the situation in Budapest very well, I am amazed that Vass still managed to maintain an operation there. Vass shoemakers can make 4-5 times more over the border in Austria or Germany. Every other trade in Budapest has been decimated by salary disparity between HU and its Western neighbors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads