• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jayteee

Reaction score
Hey, I haven't posted here for a few years...

I'm sad to say that I could never get the U last to fit me. If your pinky's not in the toe box that's for the best - though have a feel to be sure, as the box and the outer sewn toe cap are not always in the same place. Don't mean to be condescending, I'm sure you already know that...

One more thing: Museum calf, for all its i-gent fanciness, is a corrected grain and not quite as supple as some others. As long as the overall shape is right, a bit more wear might just do it. Put on a bit more leather conditioner perhaps, and wear them around the house a bit.

I hope it works out for you: I'm about to put three MTO pairs up for sale that I've had sitting in their bags and boxes for the last five years, unable to face the fact they'll never fit me!
My assumption was "corrected grain" meant shaving off/abrading the upper layer of the leather to remove visual imperfections and then coating with polymers to give it an artificial sheen. Ilcea's museum calf is run through a compacting glass roller to make it smooth and glossy, but it's neither shaved nor plasticized.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
What size are they?
43W
My assumption was "corrected grain" meant shaving off/abrading the upper layer of the leather to remove visual imperfections and then coating with polymers to give it an artificial sheen. Ilcea's museum calf is run through a compacting glass roller to make it smooth and glossy, but it's neither shaved nor plasticized.
I did read a definition that this also counts. But, I'm sure you're right, and that would be why nobody ever calls it "corrected", in order to maintain the distinction from the cheap plasticky-stuff. Don't get me wrong, I still buy it too!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
43W

I did read a definition that this also counts. But, I'm sure you're right, and that would be why nobody ever calls it "corrected", in order to maintain the distinction from the cheap plasticky-stuff. Don't get me wrong, I still buy it too!
"W" as in wide?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yessir. I wore them all a couple of times but they're just not quite right. OK, just checked. Only one of them is actually marked, 43. But they were definitely ordered as + width. If I recall, the two with goyser welt fit ever so slightly bigger - typical Vass! Ah...been a long time since I smelt that leather smell of opening a Vass shoe box, even after all this time, and these were the only ones I ever had with the laster 3 piece trees too. Sigh. Not meant to be!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yessir. I wore them all a couple of times but they're just not quite right. OK, just checked. Only one of them is actually marked, 43. But they were definitely ordered as + width. If I recall, the two with goyser welt fit ever so slightly bigger - typical Vass! Ah...been a long time since I smelt that leather smell of opening a Vass shoe box, even after all this time, and these were the only ones I ever had with the laster 3 piece trees too. Sigh. Not meant to be!
Well quit teasing the few of us that are size 43 and let's see some pics!

sforum1

Reaction score
Do you act like this online only or in RL too?
Isn't online and RL the same thing these days? And if the answer is yes, then what does that tell us? If you are saying that I acted online in a way that may be different from RL, then I really never acted the way you think I did. Similar to how buying shoes your size will never be your size and so you should not buy them. Don't make that mistake. I know it may not make much sense right now but I'm only trying to help. I just don't want you to have to come back later and tell me 'I should have listened to you'.

Last edited:

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't online and RL the same thing these days? And if the answer is yes, then what does that tell us? If you are saying that I acted online in a way that may be different from RL, then I really never acted the way you think I did. Similar to how buying shoes your size will never be your size and so you should not buy them. Don't make that mistake. I know it may not make much sense right now but I'm only trying to help. I just don't want you to have to come back later and tell me 'I should have listened to you'.
He’ll only be interested if they’re exotic leathers and preferably a combination of at least two different types.

sforum1

Reaction score
He’ll only be interested if they’re exotic leathers and preferably a combination of at least two different types.
'Exotic' is really a fallacy. Two different types? On a pair that was born to not fit? You do the math.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Exotic' is really a fallacy. Two different types? On a pair that was born to not fit? You do the math.
I just did. Here’s what I came up with:
678783E3-70C3-4F10-8687-5C149ACAB6EC.png

= won’t fit.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is that Hungarian math? Now it's beginning to make sense. No, those pairs will never fit.
Nah, just a Standard Model Lagrangian. It’s amazing how much math goes into getting the proper fit in footwear.?

sforum1

Reaction score
Nah, just a Standard Model Lagrangian. It’s amazing how much math goes into getting the proper fit in footwear.?
I have to admit at first I did not take you seriously, but after going over the calculations carefully I found the issue. It didn't take me long either. See below. That square root of 2 should have easily been the square root of 3, I'd say even 4. You call this shoemaking? This a bunch of malarkey. Good thing it's shoes they are designing and not bridges or airplanes.

Vass.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads