• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gte872h

Reaction score

sinequanon

Reaction score
Very nice pickup. In my experience expecting shell to stretch is a disappointment. Conforming a bit yes but shell doesn’t budge all that much.
I have a pair of Vass museum calf in U last. It's quite narrow and therefore pretty snug as the pinky toe area. Wore it for a few days with decent walking (at the expense of my toes) and it doesn't feel too much difference. Not sure if I need more time or it's just that Vass in U is not for me.

zr3rs

Reaction score
I have a pair of Vass museum calf in U last. It's quite narrow and therefore pretty snug as the pinky toe area. Wore it for a few days with decent walking (at the expense of my toes) and it doesn't feel too much difference. Not sure if I need more time or it's just that Vass in U is not for me.
Depends on where your pinky sits. Museum is typically quite smooth, but if you have a cap toe and the tightness is around the seam or you are already in the toe cap area then you might be out of luck, because obviously these areas are much tighter than other areas.
I had this experience with a non-Vass shoe and even stretching by a cobbler did not help as the cap itself cannot really be stretched.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

U is one of the trickiest Vass lasts to fit - even irrespective of the pair-to-pair variation. The last shape means you may size up to get toebox room and have to put up with additional space elsewhere, or fit through the back half of the shoe and put up with the squeeze in the toebox.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
You fit shoes always through the heel cup and instep, there is simply no other way. You stretch shoes to fit your toes similar way you would fit a pair of new skiboots. Wear shoe on the wet sock (wet in the areas where the stretch is needed).
1. Identify the pressure points.
2. Add material (paper-towel attached with scotch tape) to the pressure points on the shoetree.
3. Insert the shoetree and leave it be until you don't feel pressure in the spots anymore.
The End.

sinequanon

Reaction score
Depends on where your pinky sits. Museum is typically quite smooth, but if you have a cap toe and the tightness is around the seam or you are already in the toe cap area then you might be out of luck, because obviously these areas are much tighter than other areas.
I had this experience with a non-Vass shoe and even stretching by a cobbler did not help as the cap itself cannot really be stretched.

Thanks. My pair of Vass is a cap toe indeed but fortunately my pinky hasn't quite reach the toe cap yet, so at least its not the stiffened part. I guess there is still some remote chance that after a few more wears it can loosen up a little bit? Or perhaps give cobbler a shot.

U is one of the trickiest Vass lasts to fit - even irrespective of the pair-to-pair variation. The last shape means you may size up to get toebox room and have to put up with additional space elsewhere, or fit through the back half of the shoe and put up with the squeeze in the toebox.

Agree. I knew it is tricky but it 's much trickier than I thought when I get my shoes on feet. It's a beautiful shoe that I will love to keep but if it doesn't work for me, might need to find a new owner for it.

sinequanon

Reaction score
You fit shoes always through the heel cup and instep, there is simply no other way. You stretch shoes to fit your toes similar way you would fit a pair of new skiboots. Wear shoe on the wet sock (wet in the areas where the stretch is needed).
1. Identify the pressure points.
2. Add material (paper-towel attached with scotch tape) to the pressure points on the shoetree.
3. Insert the shoetree and leave it be until you don't feel pressure in the spots anymore.
The End.
Let me try the wet sock method, I have read that somewhere but never actually tried it. Thank you.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Vass shoekit , simply the best value accessory. I have 3 and use them for travel as 'dopp' bags. Padded and made from various leather leftovers (including exotics) with goodies inside. The price to value ratio is incredible. You would pay 3 times the price for the same from other brands and it would not be half as well made.
A5.jpg

sforum1

Reaction score
Vass shoekit , simply the best value accessory. I have 3 and use them for travel as 'dopp' bags. Padded and made from various leather leftovers (including exotics) with goodies inside. The price to value ratio is incredible. You would pay 3 times the price for the same from other brands and it would not be half as well made.
View attachment 1408040
You just got it? Do they sell them now?

jayteee

Reaction score
Quite frankly, knowing the situation in Budapest very well, I am amazed that Vass still managed to maintain an operation there. Vass shoemakers can make 4-5 times more over the border in Austria or Germany. Every other trade in Budapest has been decimated by salary disparity between HU and its Western neighbors.
Vass hires mostly ethnic Hungarians from Romania, where wages are even lower. Budapest wages probably seem generous to them. I read this in an article from Germany about the company.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I guess there is still some remote chance that after a few more wears it can loosen up a little bit... a beautiful shoe that I will love to keep but if it doesn't work for me, might need to find a new owner for it.
Hey, I haven't posted here for a few years...

I'm sad to say that I could never get the U last to fit me. If your pinky's not in the toe box that's for the best - though have a feel to be sure, as the box and the outer sewn toe cap are not always in the same place. Don't mean to be condescending, I'm sure you already know that...

One more thing: Museum calf, for all its i-gent fanciness, is a corrected grain and not quite as supple as some others. As long as the overall shape is right, a bit more wear might just do it. Put on a bit more leather conditioner perhaps, and wear them around the house a bit.

I hope it works out for you: I'm about to put three MTO pairs up for sale that I've had sitting in their bags and boxes for the last five years, unable to face the fact they'll never fit me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads