• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

striker

Reaction score
They are unmistakably English. However for some reason they always seem to photograph more badly than they deserve. They look way better in person and in larger sizes than smaller ones.

Holy Man

Reaction score
Gents, I'm considering getting one of the following for a first ideal business casual shoe. I expect to wear it with jeans and chinos.

Cognac scotch grain Norweger from NMWA
vassho005_1_2.jpg

Cognac Double Monk in U Last MTO from Vass
1064-f-cognac_calf-single_sole.jpg

Which do you suggest I get? I am leaning towards the double monk as I travel quite a bit and enjoy the ability to slip my shoes on and off, but would like to solicit your opinion.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Gents, I'm considering getting one of the following for a first ideal business casual shoe. I expect to wear it with jeans and chinos.

vassho005_1_2.jpg

Cognac Double Monk in U Last MTO from Vass

Which do you suggest I get? I am leaning towards the double monk as I travel quite a bit and enjoy the ability to slip my shoes on and off, but would like to solicit your opinion.

I'm not a fan of DMs with denim. I have those Norwegers and they are my favorite pair of shoes. Awesome for casual wear and can also easily be worn with a SC.

jssdc

Reaction score

vassho005_1_2.jpg

Cognac Double Monk in U Last MTO from Vass

I'm in an SF minority but I don't like Norwegers (or split toes generally, or Derby's....or loafers for that matter). That said, if DMs fit properly you shouldn't be able to slip them off - and unbuckling isn't really easier than untying in airport security. I also travel a great deal and not having to remove my shoes at the airport is the best thing about not living in the US.

bespoken4me

Reaction score
That Vass Norweger is a classic, especially in the cognac grain. The cognac calf dbl monk is nothing special, IMHO it has no depth to the color, and I have a pair

hazwanazani

Reaction score

vassho005_1_2.jpg

Cognac Double Monk in U Last MTO from Vass

Last edited:

Holy Man

Reaction score
No, I haven't, but I think it might be a bit too overwhelming with the captoe and the double straps.

Sammy - Ascot

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think Hazwanazni spot on with his recommendation. No doubt there's a touch more workmanship involved with the stitching to the Norweger uppers. They are both great design selected by NMWA - but the DM in Cognac is a touch more versatile with regards to burnishing, and functional if you travel much. Take both pairs if you can :)

"The beautiful thing about cognac is that its light background allows more burnishing options hence, more personalisation. The captoe on the DM would be a great canvas for this, no so much for the norweger. I like both designs but not the stitching of the uppers of this norweger. Ever considered a pair of scotch grain double-monks?"

striker

Reaction score
I agree with the gentlemen above who said that if the DMs fit properly, you should not be able to slip into it that easily without unbuckling it. I prefer loafers for flight and travel, just not loafers from Vass. Perhaps the monks you own are those with a slight bit of elastic on the straps that facilitate that without unbuckling the strap

Just to share my personal experience, the Vass monks do not have the elastic component, I have to remove the top buckle to slip on and off the shoe, and I have a low instep so those with higher instep would find it even more challenging. In this regard, it is quite slow to remove and strap the buckle back on. I find that the blucher type split toe would be speedier of the two.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I cannot even contemplate being able to stuff my foot into a fully buckled double monk.  And I wouldn't do it if I could.  Not sure where the notion took root that monks are essentially  loafers, but it's not the first time I've heard it.

I was under the impression that any shoe without laces is considered a loafer.

I'm with you, though, Roger.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads