1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Brown and Dark Brown are the same Vass colors. The London 3 eyelet above is Antique Cognac, which is about the closest you'll get to a mid Brown with Vass. You could always get cognac and use a dark brown cream on them as well. I dont think dark Cognac darkened will give you the shade you are looking for as I have done that and the red tones still carry through a bit.

2. bc78

bc78 Senior member

Are you open to suede? They have a nice medium brown suede

3. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

2 people like this.
  4. madeinpoland

madeinpoland Member

Anyone's got the photo of an oxblood calf next to a dark brown calf? Or an oxblood calf next to burgundy calf?
    I already have dark brown calf, considering oxblood or burgundy for the next dress shoe.

Is it true that oxblood looks very similar to dark brown?

Pictured from the left: burgundy, oxblood, navy.

[​IMG]

5. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

How did you resolve it?

6. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

I paid the money.

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

These shipping companies are really something.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I don't have such a Picture (sold my oxblood monks), but yes, I found the color to be closer to dark brown with reddish overtones then a true burgundy. It's a pretty complex colorway that can look different in every lighting situation, but under MOST conditions I found it to be more browny than red. If you're looking for something with more contrast to a dark brown leather, I would say Vass burgundy is a good option. It's more definitely red.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I don't have side by side pics, but I will say that I love, love LOVE Oxblood and think it both a unique and beautiful shade that is totally worth having regardless of what else in the burgundy / bordeaux family already graces your shoedrobe.

I definitely do NOT think it is "very similar" to dark brown. Peppercorn describes it as a "complex shade" and I agree. Dark brown is one of the least complex of Vass' shades. It, Just. Is. Dark. Brown. Oxblood is both subtle and complex - almost as if you somehow blended brown, burgundy and black. Different lighting can highlight different elements. Lovely stuff.

1 person likes this.
  10. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Senior member

If you live in the US, you might get quick relief by filing a claim for breach of contract and fraud in small claims court. Often large companies will roll over and pay up in claims in JP or small claims. This strategy works well in Texas, although I am not sure of its efficacy in other jurisdictions.

11. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I have yet to see pictures that accurately show Oxblood in all of it's glory. FOr me, it is the best Vass color and despite being dubious about it when ordering, once I received them they immediately became my favorite. The below pictures show dark brown and oxblood side by side in both direct sunlight and shadow. Neither shows how great they are. And yes, I am aware the oxblood needs a polish...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. madeinpoland

madeinpoland Member

Thank you, kind sirs.
    I'll probably go with the oxblood, since it is more subtle and business appropriate.
    Sure Vass burgundy is a wonderful shade, but also rather showy and not the best option for a guy who doesn't want to get noticed.

1 person likes this.
  13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Let me at least try:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Is there a difference between their Burgundy and Bordeaux colour, or it's the same colour basically with two different names?

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I really only know of Oxblood and Bordeaux as their two "red" colours.

16. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Yes, me too .. It's just because some of the members are referring to the Bordeaux as Burgundy that I thought it could be some third shade of a reddish colour ..

17. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

^ Well, there is also Red Cognac, so there is a third "red" tone technically. Bordeaux and burgundy are the same color in Vass-speak.

18. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

This is pretty close, and much better than my pictures. With that said, I still dont think these do Oxblood justice. Clearly its my favorite color from Vass.

1 person likes this.
  19. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Ah yes - how could I forget! Okay, so for the sake of clarity:

Red Cocgnac:
    [​IMG] Bordeaux: [​IMG] Oxblood: [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  20. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

To be clear, oxblood is different from burgundy (bordeaux) correct?