• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I often read where people speak of value when comparing HW shoes to GYW shoes. However I've yet to read anyone state that because a shoe is hand welted that would equate to it lasting any longer than a GYW shoe, or that it would look any better than a GYW shoe, or that it would fit any better or wear any better than a GYW shoe. So where's the value?

It appears that the major difference is how the shoe is crafted and the effort that goes into making the shoe. An appreciation for the craftsmanship which is no small thing, but this again doesn't mean you can expect any better results. I mean gemming does not appear to occur that terribly often.

:fu:

:foo:

Last edited:

Sammy - Ascot

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I did. At that point in time, Vass didn't offer burnishing at all.

Vass now offers burnishing around the toes, similar to EG shoes.
Italian Polish or Military High Shine are also optional extras, as
the process can take up to an hour of labour.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i expect vass to increase prices if this continues this year. do you expect euro to keep falling?

A bit more, yes. The problem is good leather prices going up cause of demand, I believe.
Please check Carminas new website. They have just increased "slightly" their prices (around 7% in the models I have compared). Shell prices are crazy for us now starting at 690 € (before 590€). Spanish labour cost has not increased at all.

Do not know about Vass in the near future.

Stop buying so many shoes, please.
ffffuuuu.gif

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please check Carminas new website.  They have just increased "slightly" their prices (around 7% in the models I have compared).  Shell prices are crazy for us now starting at 690 € (before 590€).  Spanish labour cost has not increased at all.

Do not know about Vass in the near future.

Stop buying so many shoes, please.:fu:

They greatly increased their shell prices several weeks ago.

They raised their calf prices slightly this week when the new website went up.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the shell is sourced from Horween, in USD, then it's no surprise that European makers get hit by the increase in USD/EUR fx rate.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice F-lasted galosh oxford in brown museum

LOL

Those plum museum loafers posted a while back have some beautiful color on them. Is that the current plum, or the old distributor?

Also, Mimo/NAMOR, you said they were coming out with 2 new lasts? And one is between the U and the F? (So I'm assuming a rounded chisel?)

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes. And it does look like a classic English last - a rather wider square toe than the U, reminded me of a Tricker's shoe I have, or the Loake 026.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads