1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

@RogerP

Stunning Valways! Looks like black grain shaft with Bordeaux calf uppers?

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Cheers my man. Black grain over Oxblood.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Tri-Cognac
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Sooooo money, Roger!

1 person likes this.
  5. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

6. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Senior member

Has anyone order Vass shoes through Ascot Shoes? I placed an order on June 11. On August 22, I received word that the boots would be completed in about 2 weeks. It is now September 20 and I have not received any additional updates, 14 weeks and 4 days out from my order date. I appreciate any insight.

7. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

@beargonefishing This is perfectly possible, the fault is not with Ascot Shoes. Most probably Vass is just still working on the shoes. With a piece by piece production of almost 4000 pairs a year, Vass is also unable to give a case by case update I'm afraid. My advise is to wait a little bit longer :)!

1 person likes this.
  8. Mute

Mute Senior member

It was similar for me when I ordered with Ascot. Be patient and you'll get your shoes in no time. Ascot is very good about staying on top of things. If you're truly concerned, you can just send them an email. You should get a quick response.

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

14 weeks is not remotely out of line in my experience in ordering Vass shoes through many different retailers, Ascot included.

10. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I got a Q. regarding the Ascot shoes as well. Is there any logical explanation why their eBay Vass styles are so expensive? I have received a price list from Kuti and it appears that regular calf MTO styles ordered from the Budapest store are about 30% cheaper then any of Ascot prices ..

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Why not ask them? I have purchased several shoes from Ascot, but never through their Ebay store. Oh, and prices direct from Vass will almost always be cheaper than through a retailer.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  12. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Because I don't believe it would be polite to stick my nose in someones business directly by questioning him regarding his price policy. If they can profit from a 30% higher margin fine for them, it's just that I thought there may be some reason for this as I can't think of anyone who knows about Vass store that would pay a 30% higher price point especially if Vass is offering the VAT deduction or a 10% cash discount option as well ..

13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Ascot has "make and offer" on a lot of their listings. I would message an offer if you are serious about a pair. You never know.

If you have the ability to deal with Vass direct, and reap the savings, consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

14. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Vass has a business model which from the beginning was supposed to work only with B2C, mainly through their own stores in Budapest. Then Vass wrote his book, got in at Isetan, internet came and so on, and Vass fame got bigger and bigger and a lot of retailers where interested to sell their shoes. But since they have set prices to have margins only for B2C, a retailer needs to add their margin which means that they will always be more expensive through someone else than Vass. Vass didn't want to change to a retailer price model, that would mean that they'd up their own prices to the ones retailers has, problem would mainly be that in Hungary the shoes would then be very expensive and they'd have a hard time selling there, so they just keep their own prices and margins as they have been. The price for Vass at retailers is still good though (it's mainly that it's very low when buying directly). And what retailers offer is in many cases RTW of the shelf that aren't available in the same way from Vass at distance, easy online card payment, a very good service, etc. The fact that Vass continue to sell more and more shoes themselves, and at the same time has an increasing number of retailers, seem to point to the fact that this models does work in their case.

4 people like this.
  15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

But you think forum members will be able to explain to you how they arrive at their pricing?

1 person likes this.
  16. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Yes, and one of them just did. Thank you.

17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I always contact they directly. And the price I am quoted is always less than their ebay store. If I were consumed with curiosity as to why their listed ebay prices are higher than the transaction price when I contact them directly and order a pair or purchase a pair in stock, I'd just ask them. I am not infrequently bemused by the fact that when someone has a question about a retailer, the LAST person they want to ask is the retailer. Because it would be too intrusive to make a private inquiry, apparently, but not the least bit intrusive to discuss it publicly.

1 person likes this.
  18. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

You're welcome.

19. Mute

Mute Senior member

EBay prices are higher because Ebay gets paid for any listing that closes from a sale.

20. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We would like to take this opportunity to three unique, beautiful group made to orders we have set up! Sourcing the different kinds of leather was not an easy feat, but when we combine these beautifal leathers with the great skill of the artisans at Vass, it's a recipe for success! Group Made To Order 1: A Balmoral boot, with Inca Grain shaft and deep blue Anilveau Calf :slayer: Note: the model pictured is not a sample, and is not made from the leathers described. It only gives an idea of the model, not of the colors or leathers that will be used! [​IMG] Price: 720 EUR incl. VAT / 700 USD excl. VAT for non-EU members Shipping to EU and US included, worldwide shipping is extra Includes shoe trees, bags and box. As a courtesy to all Styleforum members we include saphir wax and a polishing cloth. Minimum # of participants is 6 people per model. Group Made To Order 2: The classic 'French Oxford' with genuine Buffalo leather and suede :slayer: Note: the model pictured is not a sample, and is not made from the leathers described. It only gives an idea of the model, not of the colors or leathers that will be used! [​IMG] Price: 720 EUR incl. VAT / 700 USD excl. VAT for non-EU members Shipping to EU and US included, worldwide shipping is extra Includes shoe trees, bags and box. As a courtesy to all Styleforum members we include saphir wax and a polishing cloth. This model comes with 3 PIECE SHOE TREES! Minimum # of participants is 6 people per model. Group Made To Order 3: The hugely popular 'Valway' Boot, in a deep 9231 Anilvea calf and Inca 6120 shaft. :slayer:. The Anilveay takes a great shine, and you can burnish and antique it to give it a great deep and warm look. Note: the model pictured is not a sample, and is not made from the leathers described. It only gives an idea of the model, not of the colors or leathers that will be used! [​IMG] Price: 720 EUR incl. VAT / 700 USD excl. VAT for non-EU members Shipping to EU and US included, worldwide shipping is extra Includes shoe trees, bags and box. As a courtesy to all Styleforum members we include saphir wax and a polishing cloth. Minimum # of participants is 6 people per model. As for the 'rules' of the GMTO: Many of the leathers used for these GMTO's come from a European leather merchant that we sourced ourself. They provide some of the best shoemakers, within Europe and outside. The only downside is that there is a minimum order value for the leather that equals enough leather for around 20 pairs of shoes. Does this mean every model has to reach 20 participants? No, of course not. As a retailer we don't mind taking some leather in stock, since we can make it in something beautiful through Vass, our belt maker or any other of our artisans. It would be nice if we could reach 20 participants in total but even that is not entirely neccesary smile.gif!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016