• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Here it is in the k-last without the medallion, looks very nice and clean. Almost think the k-last might be better then the U for a wholecut.
Wholecuts are indeed superlative pieces of art if you wear them well.....less is more

Some of my personal tips on W/C's:
1) Try to get a snug fit as it's only 1 piece leather so they will stretch more and it fill up most of the vamp (avoid stretches)..
2) I personally like them in darker colours (not black) as the creases around the vamp is less pronounced.
3) Because it's a 1 piece - play around with different colour laces for contrast.

The Alex from C&J's is my personal favourite...it has the edge over all the other w/c's I have seen
from Lobb to Loakes and Corthay to Crispin.......

Last edited:

dlind

Reaction score
Wholecuts are indeed superlative pieces of art if you wear them well.....less is more

Some of my personal tips on W/C's:
1) Try to get a snug fit as it's only 1 piece leather so they will stretch more and it fill up most of the vamp (avoid stretches)..
2) I personally like them in darker colours (not black) as the creases around the vamp is less pronounced.
3) Because it's a 1 piece - play around with different colour laces for contrast.

The Alex from C&J's is my personal favourite...it has the edge over all the other w/c's I have seen
from Lobb to Loakes and Corthay to Crispin.......
Would you recommend going down in size for a W/C as you would for a loafer? or would you choose the same size as you normally would if that normally gives you a very snugg fit?

alloy13

Reaction score

Gent's. I need a bit of advise, or perhaps rather a bit of plain opinons. I am to pull the trigger on my next Vass order this week, and is a bit indecisive... The plan is a shoe that is sharp enough and dark enough to fill in as an evening shoe when I don't feel like using my black captoes. So color is decided to be oxblood. Model will be either a wholecut with a floating medallion, or a sharp Adelaide, similar to the one's on the pictures (just mentally add the Adelaide medallion to the wholecut :).) What do you guys say? Next question is last. On what last does a shoe like this look the best; on the sharper U or the rounder F? My guts say U, having all sharp G&G shoes in mind, but... I have shoes on the F-last since before and like them. I have no shoes on the U-last. Help to push me!
My advice is to avoid a plain toe. Try a plain wingtip perhaps, or maybe an austerity brogue. Plain toe shoes like wholecuts usually look best when new. They won't look like wholecuts anymore after a few wears with all the creases appearing.

Swede66

Reaction score

I actually about to order a wholecut in oxblood on the U last my self. A bit torn about having a medallion or not. Guess it will depend on what you want to use it for, If you are going to be using it as evening shoe then maybe skip it but it's personal preference. I am still undecided about my order. I have seen wholecuts in the K-last as well and that looked very sharp as well, haha this is getting difficult.. A bit off topic but do you know a good cobbler in sthlm? someone that could do a proper resoling, install toe taps etc..
Main usage will be with suit at work. I work more often than having evenings out :). But, it would also be used on some dressy evenings. The beuty of wholecuts is the 'cleanness'. With a floating medallion it's still clean, but something more is happening. So many decisions to make, phu...The beuty and the curse of MTO options... The cobbler I use is Bäckmans at Nybrogatan. They're good. Never tried them on toe taps though.

dlind

Reaction score
Main usage will be with suit at work. I work more often than having evenings out :).
But, it would also be used on some dressy evenings.
The beuty of wholecuts is the 'cleanness'. With a floating medallion it's still clean, but something more is happening.

So many decisions to make, phu...The beuty and the curse of MTO options...

The cobbler I use is Bäckmans at Nybrogatan.
They're good. Never tried them on toe taps though.
I agree, i'm still torn between a medallion and a clean toe as well. Just think that in the K-last without the medallion it almost looks like GG sinatra which is just a beautiful shoe!

Ok, thank you I will give them a try.

Last edited:

dg626

Reaction score
My first order from Vass! Old English II Oxblood. The photos aren't great, as you can probably tell I took them during night time.

I paid for topy as well, not sure if I'll get one for my next order. Any thoughts?

Spoiler

Last edited:

dlind

Reaction score
The Topy question is a big one and there tends to be two camps, personally I would never put a topy on a brand new leather sole as it kind of defeats the point of having a nice leather sole from the start. If you are going to be wearing it in a lot of bad weather danite is a better choice imo, and otherwise just use the beautiful leather sole vass will provide and after 2-3 years when it's worn down invest in a quality resoling. Well worth the marginally higher cost of leather resole vs. several topy resoles. Also the point of having a hand sewn sole is that you can have it resoled many times without the construction faulting. Just my two cents. Very nice shoes regardless.
My first order from Vass! Old English II Oxblood. The photos aren't great, as you can probably tell I took them during night time.

I paid for topy as well, not sure if I'll get one for my next order. Any thoughts?

Spoiler

dg626

Reaction score
The Topy question is a big one and there tends to be two camps, personally I would never put a topy on a brand new leather sole as it kind of defeats the point of having a nice leather sole from the start. If you are going to be wearing it in a lot of bad weather danite is a better choice imo, and otherwise just use the beautiful leather sole vass will provide and after 2-3 years when it's worn down invest in a quality resoling. Well worth the marginally higher cost of leather resole vs. several topy resoles. Also the point of having a hand sewn sole is that you can have it resoled many times without the construction faulting. Just my two cents. Very nice shoes regardless.

Thanks for the reply dlind. I am thinking along similar lines now, and I agree that is probably best to just use the leather sole. So for my next pair, I think I will get it without topy.

Last edited:

dlind

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply dlind. I am thinking along similar lines now, and I agree that is probably best to just use the leather sole. So for my next pair, I think I will get it without topy.
Glad to help!

Swede66

Reaction score
Guys, what color is this? Oxblood or Burgundy?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gent's. I need a bit of advise, or perhaps rather a bit of plain opinons. I am to pull the trigger on my next Vass order this week, and is a bit indecisive... The plan is a shoe that is sharp enough and dark enough to fill in as an evening shoe when I don't feel like using my black captoes. So color is decided to be oxblood. Model will be either a wholecut with a floating medallion, or a sharp Adelaide, similar to the one's on the pictures (just mentally add the Adelaide medallion to the wholecut :).) What do you guys say? Next question is last. On what last does a shoe like this look the best; on the sharper U or the rounder F? My guts say U, having all sharp G&G shoes in mind, but... I have shoes on the F-last since before and like them. I have no shoes on the U-last. Help to push me!
I actually about to order a wholecut in oxblood on the U last my self. A bit torn about having a medallion or not. Guess it will depend on what you want to use it for, If you are going to be using it as evening shoe then maybe skip it but it's personal preference. I am still undecided about my order. I have seen wholecuts in the K-last as well and that looked very sharp as well, haha this is getting difficult.. A bit off topic but do you know a good cobbler in sthlm? someone that could do a proper resoling, install toe taps etc..
Wholecuts on U or K are a marvellous choice. I actually think K might be even better for it. I myself am going to order a black clean wholecut on the K-last, don't know in which order I want to go with my coming purchases though so well see when I pull the trigger on those. I think the picture above, Swede66, is oxblood. In sunlight it looks quite reddish, but indoors when darker they are almost black. Beatiful color. Dlind, as for a cobbler in Stockholm, Bäckmans are great, but I think that the best one definately is Carina and her collegue at Skomakeri Framåt in Gamla stan. And about wholecuts creasing, of course they do. But to me that's part of the beauty. I mean shoes do crease, and different models crease differently, that's part of the deal. If you don't want shoes to crease, don't wear them.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wholecuts on U or K are a marvellous choice. I actually think K might be even better for it. I myself am going to order a black clean wholecut on the K-last, don't know in which order I want to go with my coming purchases though so well see when I pull the trigger on those.

I think the picture above, Swede66, is oxblood. In sunlight it looks quite reddish, but indoors when darker they are almost black. Beatific color.

Dlind, as for a cobbler in Stockholm, Bäckmans are great, but I think that the best one definately is Carina and her collegue at Skomakeri Framåt in Gamla stan.

And about wholecuts creasing, of course they do. But do me that's part of tve beauty. I mean shoes do crease, and different models crease differently, that's part of the deal.

+1 to every single thing you just said, except I might go with U over K

Swede66

Reaction score
Great input as always J!

I'll go for wholecut in oxblood on the U-last.

If only I could make my mind up with regards to medallion or not...

Thanx also for the tip on cobbler. Need to try them out for the next resole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads