1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

It has a slight reddish hue to it. This is an old pair;the new pairs. I have ordered is darker compared to this pair.

2. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

thanks for the comparison. I have an osloer boot in the oxblood on the way & good to see it isn't TOO red

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

The plum is absolutely beautiful.

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

In terrorssquad's pic, the Oxblood doesn't look red at all. My pair are certainly a very very deep red/black, but more visibly red than what shows on my monitor in his pics.
    [​IMG] This vendor pic by Ascot is useful in demonstrating the difference between Oxblood and Bordeaux: [​IMG]

5. rc121

rc121 Senior member

my oxblood have little if any red in them, they lean way more towards brown

6. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Oxlood definitely leans more towards brown.

7. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

that blend is what i'm hoping for

1 person likes this.
  8. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Mind. BLOWN.

The last couple of pictures are so much full of win that I probably will need to purchase both Oxblood and Plum. And Dark Brown. And an other pair of Antique Cognac. I was hoping that the comparison shots would eliminate some of the alternatives, but apparently they didn't. My wallet is bleeding.

Thans guys! Very much appreciated.

9. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

How do you U.S. residents go about buying Vass?

10. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

There are three general options:

1, Working directly with Vass by emailing them.

2. Working through a proxy (of which there's at least one here on SF. See the conversation about Notch's offerings in the SF Marketplace just earlier in the thread).

3. Buying ready made or putting in an MTO from one of the several retailers here in the US that are now stocking Vass: Epaulet, No Man Walks Alone, and (from what I understand) The Nettleton Shop in Pittsburgh. Epaulet and NMWA both offer good return policies.

11. archetypal_yuppie

Thanks.

Any advantages to #1 vs. #3? #3 seems easier, but maybe more costly?

Any best practices for #1?

No more follow-ups I promise.

12. rc121

rc121 Senior member

definitely more economical to do #1 vs. #3. Sizing issues would probably be the best reason to pick #3 over #1, since you'd be able to return the shoes to the vendor.

also #1 allows for customization vs. picking rtw from a vendor. you could always do a MTO through the vendor, but then its even adding more cost to the more expensive option

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Yes, but, there can be a big BUT. At least as between #1 and #2.

Unless things have changed recently, Vass accepts neither credit cards nor Paypal - so you have to wire funds. There is cost involved here. My bank used to charge $25. They now charge $35 for this Flintstone's-era type of banking transaction. And I get the joy of spending a good portion of my lunch hour standing in line at a bank. How's that for retro?

Secondly, (and again someone please correct me if I this has changed) - Vass ships by courier only. In my experience, this is as close as it gets to a surefire guarantee that full duties and taxes are assessed. My purchases through Notch and Ascot - who ship by trackable post - have all come through clear (as is the case with probably 90% of stuff I have sent to me by post). And without a doubt, they end up less that what a direct from Vass purchase shipped by courier and given the full treatment (including the lovely 'brokerage fees' the courier charges YOU for the privilege of collecting duties from YOU) would cost at the end of the day.

So for this Canadian purchaser, it is a very open question as to whether #1 is more economical than #2, and if so, to what degree. For me, #3 would still be an import.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. archetypal_yuppie

Thanks.

And now to look up sizing equivalents for EG 8.5/9 E width somewhere.

15. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

#1, as RogerP notes, has its issues and you do have to wait for your shoes. There's also essentially no reasonable way to return shoes form the US. Seems as if shipping back to Hungary is very expensive, unless I've missed something.

#2 I believe proxies can either facilitate an MTO for sell you an in stock pair. So you'd presumably be able to get shoes faster if the proxy has a pair you want. I've never ordered by this method. Therefore I don't know about transaction costs.

#3 The pricing is higher, I think, but perhaps not if you look at the cost of #1 or #2 all in (shoes, shipping, transactions costs) and particularly not if you add duty, which sometimes and individual pays and sometimes not. Clearly business can't avoid paying duty on imports they make if they want to stay in business. So I think you do the math, the US retailer prices really just have a lot of the line item costs built in, and then a margin for them of course.

I forgot to mention that there's an eBay seller too (Ascot Shoes) out of the UK that may offer another option similar to #1 and #2. They have both stock shoes and MTO offerings.

Can't help on the sizing as I don't own EG, but you should get good advice here or from one of the seller sources we've been discussing.

Good luck. Post photos when you get a pair. :)

16. archetypal_yuppie

Thanks, will do. I need dark brown cap-toe oxfords, so it looks like MTO is called for (based on epaulet and NMWA).

I had been planning on going EG like usual, but why not experiment a bit...

17. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I prefer #1, it has been easy for me. No, I don't like the bank transfer fee, which is $45 via Chase.

Once you nail down your size, everything else goes smoothly. I have yet to pay broker fees and shipping has always been quick. I usually get them within a few day from shipping.

I would suggest you patronize a local retailer and nail down your size and once done, go direct with Vass.

1 person likes this.
  18. rc121

rc121 Senior member

I also did not pay any fees, I was quite concerned about that when they arrived via FedEx but nothing ever came.

19. wurger

wurger Senior member

That is because Vass declare shoes as trial shoes at 90 USD, which is below the duty level for most countries. So don't have to be worries about FedEx or DHL

20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

+1
    This is what the VASS store said in their email as well...