• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What is it with the dainite soles though? I only see stitching on the front of the sole. Does Vass do closed channeled stitching on dainite now? :)

The shoes (bar the 2" around the toe) are stitched to the mid-sole, (presumably leather).. Then the 'Dainite' rubber sole is glued into place. Thereafter the stitching around the toe gets completed, going through all the layers (welt, mid-sole, Dainite outer sole.)

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shoes (bar the 2" around the toe) are stitched to the mid-sole, (presumably leather).. Then the 'Dainite' rubber sole is glued into place. Thereafter the stitching around the toe gets completed, going through all the layers (welt, mid-sole, Dainite outer sole.)

So this method is different from other Dainite soled shoes in which the stitches are all around the outer sole? (kind of obvious but wanted to confirm anyway), wonder why Vass prefer this way.

SHS

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply bengal-stripe. Informative as always.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
So this method is different from other Dainite soled shoes in which the stitches are all around the outer sole? (kind of obvious but wanted to confirm anyway), wonder why Vass prefer this way.
I guess like everything in life, we all have our methods; processes and procedures...and this is influenced by material; skillset;
ease of construction; cost; resources; aesthetics ...etc...Guess only Mr Vass can answer this.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have read on the forum that they used to have some problems with Vibram soles that came loose from the sole, at the tip.

Now with there Dainite soles, I think they have decided to glue the sole, and stitch only the toe part because that is the weakest part.

I got the chance to visit their workshop a few months ago, and I noticed that everything is 100% hand made. The only machinery they had was for pressing their logo on the insoles. Imagine to 270* stitch on a thick rubber Dainite sole.. that is near impossible to do by hand, and that is why I think they chose to only stitch the toe part.

Nevertheless, they look very sleek and elegant, and my father loves th dainite soles on his double monks!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bengal can u shed any lite on who AS might be producing these Vass lookalikes for?

the trees appear to be by Kiss; the Norweger on the 2nd bottom left is all but identical to the Vass classic

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Bengal can u shed any lite on who AS might be producing these Vass lookalikes for?

the trees appear to be by Kiss; the Norweger on the 2nd bottom left is all but identical to the Vass classic

I know Crockett & Jones produce the Alt Wein shoes for several Austrian firms in Vienna.

I guess AS you mean Alfred Sargent - is putting a foot into this market.

Swede66

Reaction score
Gent's.

I need a bit of advise, or perhaps rather a bit of plain opinons.

I am to pull the trigger on my next Vass order this week, and is a bit indecisive...

The plan is a shoe that is sharp enough and dark enough to fill in as an evening shoe when I don't feel like using my black captoes. So color is decided to be oxblood.

Model will be either a wholecut with a floating medallion, or a sharp Adelaide, similar to the one's on the pictures (just mentally add the Adelaide medallion to the wholecut :).)

What do you guys say?

Next question is last. On what last does a shoe like this look the best; on the sharper U or the rounder F? My guts say U, having all sharp G&G shoes in mind, but...
I have shoes on the F-last since before and like them. I have no shoes on the U-last.

Help to push me!

Last edited:

Fiddler

Reaction score
^ I would say the wholecuts exude pure class and simplicity. The adelaides, a bit more dandyish. U Last looks great on the whole cuts.

dlind

Reaction score
I would say the wholecuts on the U-last.

DJJD

Reaction score
FrankCowperwood, cheers for yous slippers !!

I was wondering how a norwegian slipper looks like, I have the answer now !

dlind

Reaction score
Thanx for input. Even skipping the medallion?
I actually about to order a wholecut in oxblood on the U last my self. A bit torn about having a medallion or not. Guess it will depend on what you want to use it for, If you are going to be using it as evening shoe then maybe skip it but it's personal preference. I am still undecided about my order.

I have seen wholecuts in the K-last as well and that looked very sharp as well, haha this is getting difficult..

A bit off topic but do you know a good cobbler in sthlm? someone that could do a proper resoling, install toe taps etc..

Last edited:

dlind

Reaction score
My latest edition to my small Vass collection, this time directly through Vass, worked great!

K-lasted wholecut in oxblood
Here it is in the k-last without the medallion, looks very nice and clean. Almost think the k-last might be better then the U for a wholecut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads