Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

ILLs - really interesting, thx. There was a Northampton insider who posted a while back, and came across as unbiased in his views. He had some interesting insights. (but i don't remember the thread sos). He and his father had been in the trade all their lives, had worked with nearly all the makers at some time or other, and IIRC he nominated C&J when pushed on which factory cut least corners and had the highest standards overall. - so altho I had no idea til u said it, I guess AC semi being C&J doesn't surprise me. I understand that the skilled workers are in such demand that they can get a job anywhere, and of course bring their skills with them. Boils down to the fact that altho C&J doesn't make top level shoes under their own label it doesn't mean they can't select a decent skin or bevel a decent waist. Come to think of it, the leather on my C&J handgrades is as good as anything I've seen.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

2. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

alladin, you should not order from Vass in UK sizes.
    I told Mr. Kuti earlier I was interested in a pair of Vass and knew I would be UK 6 to 6.5 in C&J depending on the last.
    He told me no problem, I could order from them in UK sizes as well and should go with UK6.5.
    What I received was EU41.5 which was way too large for my feet.
    I back Ilovelobbs and would say from my experience a UK 8 to 8.5 should be EU42.
    You will be on the safe side ordering a EU 42.5

3. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I wear a smallish US11 and ordered a EU44.

4. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

+1. I wear UK5.5 GG. EG. I got F-last UK5.5 (EU 39.5). Far too big.

5. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

I agree with the rest that you should be wearing a 42. Send Vass your feet measurements (length + width with socks on) instead. Their size estimation will be the most accurate with the measurements.

6. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Wow if they do provide sizing services based on feet measurements.

Amazing service.

7. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

EU 41.5 = 7.5 UK = 8.5 US

What you should have got was a 40.5 or 41.

8. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

9. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I did not specify the EU sizing, Mr. Kuti did, I said I was UK6.5 and I received EU41.5.
    I returned that pair both because of size and wrongly executed design caused by misunderstandings between two non native English speakers - Mr. Kuti and myself.

Right now I've got a pair of EU40.5 at my place and even if I'd like to, I can't say they fit myself the way I'd like them to.
    I have posted earlier about them likely being the correct size for myself, especially when worn with my ortophedic insoles (low instep), but I don't believe in it anymore.
    I have put them on for whole an hour so the leather could take the temperatuer of my feet and mold around them and I end up experiencing too much heel slipage and my toes don't reach into the toe box far enough.
    Fiddler and others said they were UK6.5 and have gone EU40 in Vass F and were fine.
    I took and measured the traces of my feet over and over again, have gone to a department store that offers C&J and tried on several pairs for countless times (some I like in UK6 others in UK6.5), as well as I have gone to three cobblers to have them have a look at the Vass.
    They agree the current size is too large but are afraid of telling me how much to size down.
    Also I have a pair of US7 Rancourt & Co Ranger Mocs which I am very comfortable in, yet of course I do understand it is difficult to compare a suede mocassasin derby to a calf dress oxford.
    So now I am faced with the tough decission whether I should size down to 39.5 or 40.
    40 definitely won't be too small but might even still be on the large side, especially as one of my feet is noticeably smaller than the other anyways.
    If I go 39.5 I might end up with a pair that is too small for my bigger foot, but if I am lucky they might just be the best fit I could get out of the F last with no more than ~1.5cm in additional length.

Have a look at the link below.
    My bigger foot is ~253mm long, according to the link I should always be UK6 and either the greatest length in 39.5 or the smallst in 40, not taking width, heel etc. into account.
    No idea if Vass sticks to this very values though.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuhgröße#Erwachsenengr.C3.B6.C3.9Fen

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

10. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^dude you are a brother from another mother...I hypothesise I have nearly the same length of foot as you; though mine are wide unlike yours usually fit into a G(wide) in most English made shoes (probably better with an E and a tiny bit before EE)...so we aren't brothers T_T...yes people are probably thinking bro u have retarded feet...

11. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

My Ranger Mocs are a US7E rather than the standard D ;)
    I do get away with UK F-widths though and probably could also do with a US D if I wear my insoles.
    What size are you in Vass F?

12. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Sorry to say...but haven't bought any; after many failed shoe purchases I've resigned myself to a try before you buy attitude! So....someone book me tickets for Hungary!

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Sizing can be tricky for any brand when you are buying online and have no personal experience with the brand, but I would never try to buy a shoe online that had to fit both my feet and an orthopedic insert.

14. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

For the price of two EGs, you can probably get a plane ticket and two Vass that fit properly. :D

15. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Namor,

Old School, New School, no School....your thoughts on these? After my experience with the Vass brand, you have to fully respect his old school thoughts.
    Before Vass Isetan/Ugolini days, the way shoes should always be made: the uppers hand picked, the leather hand clicked; the upper/welt/sole hand
    stitched and everything else should fit like a pair of gloves - similar to all his traditional Budapester lasts. I hope his future shoe operation and traditional
    philosophy remains the same for all the new lasts and RTW range.

Shoe:

Vass River II
    K last
    Oiled Green Calf

My resoled Black St Crispin Lobbs 2010 in background to give the black/green colour contrast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]