• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Doesn't look like any real damage, you could probably restitch it yourself if you were feeling particularly daring. I forget what the front of your loafer is like, but I'm surprised they didn't make a seamless heel.
Agree - doesn't look like real p0rn damage to me. If you have the right thread strength, tool and steady hands, quite possibly a DIY job.

I have shown Mr Vass my wholecuts JL Crispins 2010 and JL Chapels seamless heels, and he tend to avoid my request. One day I will send you a picture
to explain why, subject to Mr Vass approving.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to Prom.

Navy Austerity Brogue. F Last.

Thanks to those whose post how to order Vass every 10 pages.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the wait is always about 5 weeks. Next pair ordered day after arrival.

I'm going to write up my experience and discuss some of the back and forth from a few pages back of people asking for information without doing some research.

Thank you for the comments.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JPHardy, that is one singular pair! Wear them in health!

As an aside, I really wonder where Vass would be without SF or similar sites with info on lasts and ordering. The firm isn't too active with this info themselves. I guess it all boils down to love for their product: Vass offers the best combination of materials, lasts and make on the market. If anyone knows of another shoemaker with similar pairs for 400 euros, I'm interested.

alladin

Reaction score
Hi,

I usually wear UK 8 or 8.5 in Crockett & Jones. I was thinking of ordering a pair of boots on the F last and wanted to inquire what sizing would be best.

I contacted Vass and they sent the insole measurements below. All my footwear measures 28cm internally.

F Last:

UK 6.5 28.1 cm
UK 7 28.5cm
UK7,5 28,8 cm
UK8 29,2 cm
UK8.5 29,4cm

I was leaning towards UK 6.5, but was wondering if dropping 2.5 sizes is wise!!

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
My understanding was that the standard bench made Cleverley range are made by C&J, but the higher end Anthony Cleverley range are made by Edward Green. Please correct me if that's wrong. In either case, they are slightly more expensive than the maker's own-name equivalent.

Anyway ILL, I'm looking forward to seeing that original, hand-welted green austerity wingtip from VASS!
Mimo,

Your understanding spot on with the Cleverley RTW range being made by C&J's.

The first batch of Cleverley semi-bespoke shoes back in 2010 were 100% Crocketts
because they were using the same box and labels from Crocketts to package their shoes.
The packaging recently changed to not give the game away.

Also, you need to go back 20 years and look at the history of the two firms and their
trading strategy. Compared to Church; Lobb & Green. Crocketts never had a strong high
street present. Their trade were predominantly making shoes for independent shops and retail chain
and putting the shop names on them - so anyone could easily go up to Northampton and
tell Crocketts to make XYZ using their own last/design or using one of Crockett existing lasts.

This model still happening now to respect existing clients, but to a lesser extend
because their strategy in the last 10 years has been to establish the Crockett & Jones brand name
recognition by opening up Crockett shops in the City, Mayfair, Jermyn etc...
They just opened a new store along Knightsbridge next door to Church's and Harrods,
they been eyeing that unit for over 5 years.

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Hi,

I usually wear UK 8 or 8.5 in Crockett & Jones. I was thinking of ordering a pair of boots on the F last and wanted to inquire what sizing would be best.

I contacted Vass and they sent the insole measurements below. All my footwear measures 28cm internally.

F Last:

UK 6.5 28.1 cm
UK 7 28.5cm
UK7,5 28,8 cm
UK8 29,2 cm
UK8.5 29,4cm

I was leaning towards UK 6.5, but was wondering if dropping 2.5 sizes is wise!!

Looks like Rezso given incomplete measurements on the F last.
Depending on your last and shoe type in the Crocketts - a size EU 42.5
is a safe bet for you.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
JPHardy, that is one singular pair! Wear them in health!

As an aside, I really wonder where Vass would be without SF or similar sites with info on lasts and ordering. The firm isn't too active with this info themselves. I guess it all boils down to love for their product: Vass offers the best combination of materials, lasts and make on the market. If anyone knows of another shoemaker with similar pairs for 400 euros, I'm interested.
If get the opportunity to walk around Budapest, there are 2-3 smaller shoe makers who retail
for about 300-400. There are 2 (Budag & Rozsnyai) next door to Vass, and their craftmanship
very good for that price point.

I have some shoes from them and will post on this Vass thread if people don't mind.

Vass is still the best for Hungary IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads