1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Hi, i have a small sizing question. Would appreciate any input. My best fit Vass is a OE II F last in size 40F. The width is perfect. The heel is a bit roomy but not enough for heel slip. The toe part is a bit long as I prefer my toe to reach farther to the shoe tip. I also experimented the 39.5G, which is a bit snug but I think it will become more comfortable when break in. Comparing both sizes, I prefer the 40F fit. So, I think I am on the small size of 40F.

I am going to order a double monk in U last. My question is given I am a smaller 40F in F last, do I need to go 0.5 size up (so 40.5F) for U-last as recommended by some members here? Does double monk wear any smaller/ bigger compared to the Oxford models, such as Melton and OE II? Thanks.

The new museum calf in gold color for reference:
    [​IMG]

2. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

I can't say whether a double monk will wear smaller/bigger compared to oxfords, but judging on the vamp opening of the shoes above, I would size up to 40.5 for the U. I wear a size 40.5 on Vass' U last too, but in regular width.

I must add that the museum calf in gold looks good.

3. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Zarium, lucky to find someone wearing the size 40.5 F (standard width) in U-last. Does it fit you perfectly? Do you have sizing references on other lasts, eg F last, Carmina Rain/ Robert last , or C&J 348 last?

I must echo that the gold museum is a very nice color in person. Depending on what color of the top you usually wear though. I found it less versatile than other darker choices, eg dark cognac, bourdeux, and museum dark brown. A drawback for me as I do not have a wide collection.

4. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

The U last fits me perfectly. I don't know what size I wear for the F last since my only experience with it is with two pairs of size 41 shoes that never fit me properly, but if I were to get a pair made on that last I'd get it done in size 40.

The other last that fits me as well as Vass' U is Meermin's Olfe. I take a UK 6.5. I also take a 6.5 for Meermin's Ama last.

I have two pairs of C&Js -- Westfield and Belgrave that I also wear 6.5 in, but those don't really fit me all that well and are uncomfortable to wear for extended periods. I attribute this to simply the lasts being unsuitable for my feet, because size-wise they're correct.

5. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

Beutiful shoe!

I did not size up on the U-last, but went to a G width insted. Fit is perfect. In my experience the insteps are similar in F and U, also lenght and general width. The "narrowing" towards the toe starts "earlier" however.

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Interesting. Thought the general consensus is to size up half from F last to U last.

7. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

Is it difficult to get a MTO done directly from Vass, and what's the price range for their shoes and boots?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. You deleted my thought for going for 40 as I wear UK 7 in both C&J and Merrmin. So, I should at least for for 40.5.

9. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Yes. I am also thinking whether I should go up in size or width. Now I will try the former one to achieve a sleeker shape.

10. tcideneb

tcideneb Well-Known Member

I do not have any Us but tried it at the store and if I were to buy, I would buy the same size as I do for the F.

Are those gold museums from Vass?? They are STUNNIng! What model is that if you don't mind me asking?

11. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Melton in F last single sole by vass

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I wear the same size in U and F. Never even heard the suggestion of altering size as between these lasts until now.

13. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Just received these F last G width.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

Rezsö suggested that I should go 0.5 size up in U vs F at first, but later came back and said that Mr Vass suggested to start by trying the same size as in F last. Since the 41F I had in F last was tight I sent the measurement of my metatarsal width on my dominant foot and he changed his recommendation to 41G, which in the fit me perfect.

15. fllick

fllick Senior member

I am an 8.5 in US sizing on the brannock. Hope this helps

16. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Just received these F last G width.

/SPOILER]

wear in good health your suede chukkas

17. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Senior member

It's quite easy if you know your size in the the VASS last you are interested in. You email Reszo. Give him the details of your order (last, size, design). He sends you a quote. You wire money to him. Wait around 8 to 12 weeks. Receive your shoes. Post in this thread.

With MTO, you are better off emailing Reszo as price is very material dependent (calf, shell, calf museum).

18. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

And if you aren't sure about size, Rezsö is happy to assist in advising you.
    I've done two MTO's this year and production time has been around six weeks in both cases.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  19. badsha

badsha Senior member

Has anyone heard from Reszo? Is there a specific email address besides the general VASS email? No response yet.

20. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I just heard from him today. He's having a problem with his laptop and told me that he wouldn't be able to respond to emails regularly before Wednesday of next week.