• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hehe...Mr Vass dont like to do triple sole but for you we will do. (Just a guess)

I knew someone would say that
lol8[1].gif

dlind

Reaction score
How would you guys say that Vass and AS Exclusive compare quality wise? I know there will be a bias since this is a Vass thread but I have a pair of Vass that I love but at the same time the AS Exclusive Moore looks very nice... I know the major difference is gemming vs hand welted,, how much of a difference is this really? I mean G&G are gemmed and they are considered some of the best RTW shoes out there... I have to say the AS finishing is a step up from Vass, any input is appreciated.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Which Vass pair do you own? I have no experience with AS, so can't offer comment, but I was wondering which shoes you are basing your impressions of the Vass lineup upon.

I do know that I have compared my Vass shoes to several Edward Green models (two retailers of the latter near my office) and styling preferences aside, I can find little reason to justify the significant premium for the EGs.

Last edited:

Silence

Reaction score
I didn't know that the MTO route allows altering of width.

What does the standard width in the F last correspond to on the US width scale? Width does not vary across models on the same last, right?

dlind

Reaction score
^^^ Which Vass pair do you own? I have no experience with AS, so can't offer comment, but I was wondering which shoes you are basing your impressions of the Vass lineup upon.

I do know that I have compared my Vass shoes to several Edward Green models (two retailers of the latter near my office) and styling preferences aside, I can find little reason to justify the significant premium for the EGs.
I have a pair of double monks in the U-last.

As for price difference they would be very close in price.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How would you guys say that Vass and AS Exclusive compare quality wise? I know there will be a bias since this is a Vass thread but I have a pair of Vass that I love but at the same time the AS Exclusive Moore looks very nice... I know the major difference is gemming vs hand welted,, how much of a difference is this really? I mean G&G are gemmed and they are considered some of the best RTW shoes out there... I have to say the AS finishing is a step up from Vass, any input is appreciated.
It's not even close, i've owned 2 pairs of AS Exclusive and sold them almost inmediately, I have C&J handgrades and also not close to Vass (but better than AS Exclusive). IMO to compare to Vass you have to go to a much higher price, over 1K like EG and GG etc.. (I've never seen in person AS handgrades but they look great in pictures). Right now I'm in love with G&G but will have to sell at least 3 pairs (due to personal rules) to get the Carlisle :)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Great shoes, and impressive photography too.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow resident VASS experts, I need your help in determining my size...I have gone through almost all pages in the thread, however, I yet found one that is the same size as my small feet :brick:

I wear UK 6E in EG 202 last, US 6.5 B/D in Alden Hampton & Leydon lasts, US 6.5D in AE, UK 5.5-6E in C&J 325 last, US 6.5D in BB/C&J 240 last, US 7D in BB/C&J 317 last. My feet have relatively high arches.

What size should I get for VASS U, F, & P2 last?

Thanks very much.

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Hey fellow resident VASS experts, I need your help in determining my size...I have gone through almost all pages in the thread, however, I yet found one that is the same size as my small feet
baldy[1].gif

I wear UK 6E in EG 202 last, US 6.5 B/D in Alden Hampton & Leydon lasts, US 6.5D in AE, UK 5.5-6E in C&J 325 last, US 6.5D in BB/C&J 240 last, US 7D in BB/C&J 317 last. My feet have relatively high arches.

What size should I get for VASS U, F, & P2 last?

Thanks very much.

To give you idea of my size and what I wear and tried on in Vass shoes:

I have many EG 202 in size 10E = My Vass on U & F are 44 - I don't like the P2, but P2 on 43.5 fits me fine.

Some of your C&J last are the wide country style which I have never owned.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score

Any challenge is appreciated: I don't think you have seen a pair of Vass in real life....more like AS finishing is at least 2 steps below Vass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics