• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kivi D

Reaction score
I’m getting a couple pairs of mtos done but I’m curious as to whether or not to opt for a double sole. Any of you fellas have experience with double soles? I don’t usually have to worry about the elements so I was thinking for longevity sake.

gte872h

Reaction score
I’m getting a couple pairs of mtos done but I’m curious as to whether or not to opt for a double sole. Any of you fellas have experience with double soles? I don’t usually have to worry about the elements so I was thinking for longevity sake.

I prefer double soles but I’m not a small guy. I’ve noticed that certain people on the smaller side say they have had some difficulty breaking in double soled shoes but it’s never been an issue I’ve had to deal with.

Vince131

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Finally I got reply from Vass regarding my veins issue on my shoes https://vass-shoes.com/shop/alt-english-f-brownmuseumcalf/
Vass reply : "As for the leather, this museum calf leather is a little different and it’s has a natural vein that sometimes comes out better. I checked other shoes and I can see similar veins on other models too. Box leathers look different, those leathers are thicker."
So be aware guys, this shoe model may have veins on leather.

An other information about their shoetrees. For some of them, the rod is in wood or in steel.
Vass reply : "We always used the shoetrees with wood, this is the original but recently we tried to make them with steel but it didn’t work so well."
I have one shoetree with the rod in wood ans one shoetree with the rod in steel.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I have to check how my new trees are made. I noticed them being more difficult to compress, attributed that to being new trees. But who knows may be it is different construction as you have mentioned.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Finally I got reply from Vass regarding my veins issue on my shoes https://vass-shoes.com/shop/alt-english-f-brownmuseumcalf/
Vass reply : "As for the leather, this museum calf leather is a little different and it’s has a natural vein that sometimes comes out better. I checked other shoes and I can see similar veins on other models too. Box leathers look different, those leathers are thicker."
So be aware guys, this shoe model may have veins on leather.

An other information about their shoetrees. For some of them, the rod is in wood or in steel.
Vass reply : "We always used the shoetrees with wood, this is the original but recently we tried to make them with steel but it didn’t work so well."
I have one shoetree with the rod in wood ans one shoetree with the rod in steel.
I have a pair of vass oxford in muesum calf and a pair of j Fitzpatrick in muesum calf, both were purchased in the last yr and there are no vains in the leather. The leather for both shoes are smooth.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
1414984-bcee39d106b2ccc6138a97d2d47d4270.jpg
dsc_0546-jpg.1414991
DSC_0540small.JPG
DSC_0541small.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

sforum1

Reaction score
I'm in need of black monk straps. Which do you guys recommend? Vass or Bestetti? I prefer the shape of the Vass. I'm new to high end footwear and wanted to get your input. Here they are:

Thanks!
For you, I prefer the Vass because you just said you prefer it. Also, guess what? As an additional plus, you'll be saving a good $600. Not bad at all. That almost never happens.

You might ask, but are Vass good shoes? I think you'll find more people to tell you Vass are than you'll find to tell you RB are. After all, you are in the Vass appreciation thread.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
These two models are nothing alike except for the name double-monk. If you disagree and see no stylistic difference between the two then buy a cheaper shoe, which is Vass. BTW, directly from Vass website d-monks will cost you 1/3 of what RB are.
If price was the same I would go for RB without any doubt, as Vass F-last is too ordinary compare to RB.

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These two models are nothing alike except for the name double-monk. If you disagree and see no stylistic difference between the two then buy a cheaper shoe, which is Vass. BTW, directly from Vass website d-monks will cost you 1/3 of what RB are.
If price was the same I would go for RB without any doubt, as Vass F-last is too ordinary compare to RB.

Thanks. I like the shape of the Vass...is the construction quality the same as RB? I'm wondering what the price difference is between the Vass and RB. Thanks

gte872h

Reaction score
Thanks. I like the shape of the Vass...is the construction quality the same as RB? I'm wondering what the price difference is between the Vass and RB. Thanks

They are both handwelted. The finishing on the RB looks a bit more vs Vass though. I vote Vass. Cheaper and you say you prefer the look of the Vass. Seems like a no brainer choice here.

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are both handwelted. The finishing on the RB looks a bit more vs Vass though. I vote Vass. Cheaper and you say you prefer the look of the Vass. Seems like a no brainer choice here.

Thanks. Handwelted shoes can be resoled just like GYW right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads