• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look forward to that!
I do also and would strongly suggest F last and Dainite. Lets cook up some makeups in here.
stirpot.gif

Firefox

Reaction score
Also a heads up that they don't have any of the old Milano fit OCBDs in stock. If you haven't heard these have been discontinued and replaced with a new oxford which costs $75 more.

Anywhere else for good quality OCBDs locally? Spier and Mackay never have slim fits in stock in basic colors. It's a shame because a decent, inexpensive OCBD could really be a cornerstone for their business. Especially with BB discontinuing theirs.

Are you referring to the Black Fleece Milano fit shirts? Or the Brooks Brothers mainline Milano shirts?

If the latter, I'm screwed as those were my go-to shirts (bought in threes with the periodic 30% discount).

If you are strictly staying downtown, then yeah. Here is the map so you can compare to where you'll be staying.

http://torontopath.com/path-map/

But if you'll visit say Yorkville or Destilery or Entertainment District, you will have to go outside.

This winter is mild though. For now...

+1, although it sounds like things are getting colder and/or snowier by the end of this week. That being said, you can cover a good chunk of the downtown core without ever going outside. Just keep in mind that it takes a little longer in the PATH than outside, since your routes won't be quite as direct. I always have to leave the office a few minutes earlier if I'm planning on taking the PATH to a meeting in the core.

Best place to get some shoes Topy'd downtown? I've been quoted as high as $80 at Novelty, which seems very very high to me.
That does sound like a lot. I had assumed that this would be like a $20 job, but I've never had it done, do I may be out to lunch...

Would be interested to find out what market price is, though, since I'm considering having it done to a couple pairs of mine.

Unless they changed their prices very recently, this seems way off. I had new Topys and new heels added to a pair of Allen Edmonds in the fall, and I believe it was $70 +tax. Topys alone are usually about $35-40, IIRC.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments on the Vass topic.

The thread has generally confirmed that I could get away with Vass in a conservative model without anyone noticing (in a bad way).

I will give it a little more thought, but will likely stop by GTA Shoe Shine to try out the options, and try the various lasts to see whether a basic model will work, if MTO would be any better, or if I need to actually go bespoke.

Last edited:

ADub

Reaction score
I do also and would strongly suggest F last and Dainite. Lets cook up some makeups in here.
stirpot.gif
Those look very similar to the EG Galway and I'd definitely be interested if the makeup is on a Dainite sole and comes with lasted shoe trees, especially if the price is roughly half of what the Galway costs.

ADub

Reaction score
Can you confirm whether or not their MTM is restricted to only one fit model? I think someone in the SuitSupply thread mentioned it's only for the Hudson or Havana fit. Can they do a 3 roll 2?

I have asked Bobby those two questions and will post here once I find out. For anyone interested they will also have Drapers traveler at around $1950 plus tax.

simondg

Reaction score

The thread has generally confirmed that I could get away with Vass in a conservative model without anyone noticing (in a bad way). 

I will give it a little more thought, but will likely stop by GTA Shoe Shine to try out the options, and try the various lasts to see whether a basic model will work, if MTO would be any better, or if I need to actually go bespoke. 

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck on your search! :)

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stopped by Lost & Found just now. Bought some Alden Longwings Brown CXL.

Chris was so cool to deal with, best retail experience I have had in a long time.

And those black scotch grain Trickers are so sweet. I need a 7.5. They have 7 and 8 UK left.
Was my first trip in there and it was great. Can't wait to see what else comes in for spring.

Nice pickup.

I got a pair of the Tricker's a couple of weeks ago and posted pics at the Tricker's thread.

Agreed that Chrys is great to deal with. Jonathan is great as well.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Also a heads up that they don't have any of the old Milano fit OCBDs in stock. If you haven't heard these have been discontinued and replaced with a new oxford which costs $75 more.

Anywhere else for good quality OCBDs locally? Spier and Mackay never have slim fits in stock in basic colors. It's a shame because a decent, inexpensive OCBD could really be a cornerstone for their business. Especially with BB discontinuing theirs.

Our OCBD program is under production. Should be in hour hands in about a month. We are turning through product faster than we can stock it, especially on conservative business dress staples and basics. We just put in a huge order of replenishment.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pickup.

I got a pair of the Tricker's a couple of weeks ago and posted pics at the Tricker's thread.

Agreed that Chrys is great to deal with. Jonathan is great as well.
Yes sir! Those are so sweet, love the black scotch grain.

I am more drawn to brands like Alden, Trickers, and more rounded Carmina/Vass options lately. I am finding the clunkier lasts better and more versatile for my wardrobe. Being chinos, denim 90% of the time. Only wool trousers being 10% of my wear. Even than I am reaching more for tweed, and LWB's or boots + tweed is a perfect pairing.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To the average joe, this look like every other "black shoe", although appears higher in material and quality just by looking at them. Most people won't look twice or be that close to your feet. If you wear them a lot, the $1,000 investment on them it would be worth it.
Now if you go U-Last and mirror shine the toes, they will be a bit more flashy. But still black, and incognito.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes sir!  Those are so sweet, love the black scotch grain.  

I am more drawn to brands like Alden, Trickers, and more rounded Carmina/Vass options lately.  I am finding the clunkier lasts better and more versatile for my wardrobe.  Being chinos, denim 90% of the time.   Only wool trousers being 10% of my wear.  Even than I am reaching more for tweed, and LWB's or boots + tweed is a perfect pairing. 

Thank you.

Like you, I like my shoes to be 'substantial.'

Last edited:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can we please stop mentioning Chrys from L&F...:inlove:

She's the best.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads