• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I strap my feet to a couple of large steaks and walk around tenderizing them (the steaks) all day. As per above, add a little pepper et voile, by the time you're home, dinner's halfway ready!

That, or I get topys put on and cover up that beautiful leather.

sentry

Reaction score
As a general question, how do closed channel shoes fare with salt? I don't think i'm supposed to put a topy on top of it since it's closed to begin with.

ADub

Reaction score

As a general question, how do closed channel shoes fare with salt? I don't think i'm supposed to put a topy on top of it since it's closed to begin with.

It's still leather so no better than a leather sole with open channel. My recommendation is to get overshoes, rubber soles, or topy if it is done well and flush with the rest of the sole. In my personal experience I don't feel there is a noticeable difference between my rubber and leather soled shoes in terms of comfort or breathability. Granted leather soles look nicer when new but that doesn't last anyway plus rubber is a lot more practical.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's still leather so no better than a leather sole with open channel. My recommendation is to get overshoes, rubber soles, or topy if it is done well and flush with the rest of the sole. In my personal experience I don't feel there is a noticeable difference between my rubber and leather soled shoes in terms of comfort or breathability. Granted leather soles look nicer when new but that doesn't last anyway plus rubber is a lot more practical.

If channel is open, other stuff get in there, like dirt, and that can deteriorate stitch.... But this is all theoretical and not important for any practical purpose. There are other threads on this forum that make all this into a serious religious matter :)

I wear open channel stitched shoes, with Vibram protectors (topies) no matter the weather, and never see any problems. So, yeah some rubber is key!

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Gents, this is a crosspost from our thread.

The new shop is well under way. There have been some set backs that have pushed the timeline back a bit, but that should have been expected as all construction projects seem to hit snags.

Anyways, we're looking for some great new Front end customer service staff to help out. If you guys know anyone who is in the Toronto area and looking to get into to menswear game, please have them email their resume to [email protected].

Cheers!
Rick

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
To the average joe, this look like every other "black shoe", although appears higher in material and quality just by looking at them. Most people won't look twice or be that close to your feet. If you wear them a lot, the $1,000 investment on them it would be worth it.
Now if you go U-Last and mirror shine the toes, they will be a bit more flashy. But still black, and incognito.

Firefox

Reaction score
See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashio..._brooks_brothers_ocbd_has_been_replaced_by_a/

The Black Fleece are discontinued (and I don't believe they were Milano fit). The Mainline OCBD are discontinued as well and replaced with a more expensive version with some tweaks.

The non-iron shirts were my work staple. I liked them better than most of the other non-iron shirts I've tried. Back to the drawing board I guess...
confused.gif

There's so much salt on the ground! I'm here for the week and I was not prepared to be stepping in salt everywhere. How do you natives handle it?

When it's slushy or wet, I wear Swims:

When it's too cold to be wet (or there just isn't any snow on the ground), I just give my shoes a quick wipe to remove any solid salt once I'm inside. No muss, no fuss. My dog's paws are another issue altogether...

Last edited:

FrogTO

Reaction score

Flight delayed... Staring at the remnants of mirror shine on my C&J Coniston

The Montréal snow should get rid of it even if @Jokb is a pro!

ADub

Reaction score

ADub

Reaction score
For those that aren't on LeatherFoot's mailing list there is a sale this weekend where last pairs are up to 60% off. If I recall something similar was done for Boxing Day at 50% off. Could be a good chance to grab some Carmina and St Crispin's for those interested.

scatterbrain

Reaction score

For those that aren't on LeatherFoot's mailing list there is a sale this weekend where last pairs are up to 60% off. If I recall something similar was done for Boxing Day at 50% off. Could be a good chance to grab some Carmina and St Crispin's for those interested. 

I am shoe shopping this weekend. So thanks!

edit: Shell Carmina in my size for $500!!!

Navy single monks are too flashy for me. But man, what a price!
http://www.leatherfoot.com/navy-shell-single-monk/dp/1251

Last edited:

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Anyone see the new brand Skoak introduced, Carlos Santos?
Did anyone see them before or have any experience with them?
Seems to be a lot of shoe for the price. ~$382 CAD including FedEx shipping, so ~$500 CAD all in with duties and taxes
I noticed them.

Is it just me, or do they have a long toe box? I don't like creasing on the box...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads