• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Toronto men
where do you go to get your suits altered?
I can't seem to find a good place. It seems many tailors don't really know what they're doing.
What I mean by this is they can do the altrations, But the end result always leaves unclean lines, bad drape, although technically more fitting.
There's a lot of good rated ones I see on google reviews but when I checked them out, wasn't too impressed.
Not sure if you even heard about M-Clara's Alterations on Yorkville. A little bit pricy (it's Yorkville) but the result returned out pretty good for me.

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing as EddieK. Thanks gs77 and Kent for the suggestions. I have 3 sport coats that need waist suppression, sleeve length alterations... I also have a pair of Kiton charcoal trousers in 50R or roughly 34 but they mostly need hemming and possibly some alteration of the waist because my true size is 31/32.

I am pretty ignorant in terms of tailoring so I don't even know if it's necessary to take the trousers to a higher end tailor shop?

APF_TO

Reaction score
I posted in the affiliate thread but if anyone is considering a purchase from Spier & Mackay their Black Friday sale is currently active. 20% off site wide (I’ve seen a couple exclusions).

CutandSew

Reaction score
I've used Xavier Custom Tailor near Yonge and Bloor in the past. I have been relatively happy with the work, but I haven't used him in a while. He seemed a bit pricey from what I can remember, and I think there are mixed reviews - either great, or horrible. I'm still looking for someone to do nice sleeve buttonholes (machine or handmade) for a reasonable price myself personally.

induere_to

Reaction score
All I need to do is slim the upper arm sleeve. Take it in by 1/4 inch but leave the lower sleeve as is.
Have you done something like that before with him?
What I'm worried about is if it'll be clean after it's done. Right now the sleeve pitch is perfect, the lines are perfect. There's no wrinkling. Drapes perfect.
It's just a bit too much material in the upper arm. I'm sure he can take it in, but how would the lines and drape look.

The Tailor and Cleaner do appear to be one of the best in the city. Haven't tried them yet because their hours are the exact same as mine and have no time to swing by.

But I'd be surprised if even they can taper your sleeves in a way that's satisfactory for you without removing the sleeve from the armhole to repitch it. Tapering a sleeve is something that a lot of people seem to want, but are never happy with how it turns out.

Sleeves are cut from a pattern to accomodate the 3 dimensional curve of your arms and when tapering, you're adjusting that pattern and can completely throw off the balance. If you already have a perfect pitch, I'd be happy. If you want me to pin it up and show you what the results will be, feel free to bring it by Spier & Mackay and I can have a look.

But if you ask me, don't fix what's not broken.

EddieK

Reaction score
Thank you for the offer! I think I'll take you up on that.
I actually have an MTM Suit appointment next week Friday afternoon in the downtown store.

EddieK

Reaction score
Any good sales in Canada or Toronto this black Friday?
Maybe we can post here.

I'm also looking for black leather chelseas (ideally stitched) but I don't mind if it's glued. if it's glued it has to be a cheap good price and I can wear at least a year or 2.

Also to add:
Indochino has 2 custom chinos (2 for $130CAD, compare at 1 for $110).
I don't recommend their suits but I went to their store and their chinos are not bad. Like they're much better than most mall brand chinos. And they seem durable. 100% cotton too.
Add to that, getting proper fit for pants is not as hard as a suit jacket.

Willj

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a shoe polishing store in the Mississauga area that isn’t too pricey? I have a couple Meermin’s that I’d like to clean up! Thanks

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a shoe polishing store in the Mississauga area that isn’t too pricey? I have a couple Meermin’s that I’d like to clean up! Thanks

Holt Renfrew does it for very cheap. Something like $5, but I don't like their products.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some random GTA Black Friday thoughts and observations:

- Most of the SWD boutiques are doing 20-30% off. Not the best deals, but handy if you wanted something and were about to pay full price anyway, or if a brand that normally doesn't go on sale is included (i.e. 20% off Kapital at Haven, or 30% off Viberg at Blue Button Shop).

As much as I love a good discount, I've grown more accustomed to only taking a minimal discount (10-20%) to get something that I really, really want that's at risk of selling out, while buying fewer things across the board and scrutinizing my clothing purchases even harder than before. I love Antonio-era Eidos and Camoshita trousers, but because nobody in Canada stocked them, No Man Walks Alone in NYC has been getting some of my hard earned dollars.

- It's interesting to see how some boutiques are making the consumer work a little bit for their deal, or are attempting to curb back on discounts. Lost & Found is not showing the discounted price until you check out, while Frances Watson will give you 20% on non-denim products if you provide a donation item that goes to the Parkdale Community Food Bank. Meanwhile, Park & Province are only providing additional discounts to past season items.

- It looks like Spier & Mackay's 20% off includes MTM shirting and sale items, and stacks with the bundle discount. Not a bad time to go, especially if you're willing to go to Mississauga and pay cash.

- The Arc'Teryx outlet store in Toronto Premium Outlets is doing 25% off their current listed price - which is already lower than the original MSRP - unless there's a red sticker on it. This was already in place for at least two weeks ago, and staff said that the deal would be the same on Black Friday. Whether they make things for the outlet, I don't know.

The pleasant surprise was that they do have Arc'Teryx Veilance items in stock, and most of it was included in the sale: I picked up a black Veilance Monitor SL coat for close to 50% off MSRP two weeks ago, which was shocking as Veliance's black outerwear seldom goes on sale.

- While not in Canada, Pediwear is doing 20% off most shoes + free shipping if your order is over 150 pounds. I'm finally going to give Sanders a shot thanks to this sale!

Last edited:

chiggyv

Reaction score
Some random GTA Black Friday thoughts and observations:

- Most of the SWD boutiques are doing 20-30% off. Not the best deals, but handy if you wanted something and were about to pay full price anyway, or if a brand that normally doesn't go on sale is included (i.e. 20% off Kapital at Haven, or 30% off Viberg at Blue Button Shop).

As much as I love a good discount, I've grown more accustomed to only taking a minimal discount (10-20%) to get something that I really, really want that's at risk of selling out, while buying fewer things across the board and scrutinizing my clothing purchases even harder than before. I love Antonio-era Eidos and Camoshita trousers, but because nobody in Canada stocked them, No Man Walks Alone in NYC has been getting some of my hard earned dollars.

- It's interesting to see how some boutiques are making the consumer work a little bit for their deal, or are attempting to curb back on discounts. Lost & Found is not showing the discounted price until you check out, while Frances Watson will give you 20% on non-denim products if you provide a donation item that goes to the Parkdale Community Food Bank. Meanwhile, Park & Province are only providing additional discounts to past season items.

- It looks like Spier & Mackay's 20% off includes MTM shirting and sale items, and stacks with the bundle discount. Not a bad time to go, especially if you're willing to go to Mississauga and pay cash.

- The Arc'Teryx outlet store in Toronto Premium Outlets is doing 25% off their current listed price - which is already lower than the original MSRP - unless there's a red sticker on it. This was already in place for at least two weeks ago, and staff said that the deal would be the same on Black Friday. Whether they make things for the outlet, I don't know.

The pleasant surprise was that they do have Arc'Teryx Veilance items in stock, and most of it was included in the sale: I picked up a black Veilance Monitor SL coat for close to 50% off MSRP two weeks ago, which was shocking as Veliance's black outerwear seldom goes on sale.

- While not in Canada, Pediwear is doing 20% off most shoes + free shipping if your order is over 150 pounds. I'm finally going to give Sanders a shot thanks to this sale!

Great post! Didn't know Spier did a cash and carry price, will definitely keep that in mind for future purchases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads