• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the HR Church's event, and it's pretty cool. The rep has a booth set up where they show the recrafting stages. Recommended to check out if you're in the area.

UNOAIMX

Reaction score
Anyone heard of this Brand: HART, seems like they "relaunched" but I never heard of them before in Canada.
They say they make boots for police etc.. Their design looks similar to Carlos Santos / Loake/ Johnston Murphy.
https://hartt.ca/blogs/news
They make their GYW shoes in New Brunswick from their video all workers are Canadian
https://hartt.ca/pages/craft
Price seems like regular Retail Loakes / Carlos Santos prices...you find in stores
What does everyone think, is this the revival of Canadian shoe making?

BudFox92

Reaction score
Anyone heard of this Brand: HART, seems like they "relaunched" but I never heard of them before in Canada.
They say they make boots for police etc.. Their design looks similar to Carlos Santos / Loake/ Johnston Murphy.
They make their GYW shoes in New Brunswick from their video all workers are Canadian
Price seems like regular Retail Loakes / Carlos Santos prices...you find in stores

It's a scam. All imported from Spain. Run by a digital marketing guy who makes outlandish claims that they're better than CJ & Church's. Very condescending when I spoke to him about manufacturing in Canada

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The original Hartts were made in New Brunswick. The factory closed sometime in 1990's if my memory is working on Friday at 4:23pm.

I have 3 pairs of Canadian made Hartts. Solid stompers. Well made, excellent craftsmanship and superior materials to most shoes made today. The great thing about vintage shoes is also the choice in widths. I'm a wide, so I need EEE or G width.

The current revival, is garbage. Made in Spain, crappy materials.

It's a scam. All imported from Spain. Run by a digital marketing guy who makes outlandish claims that they're better than CJ & Church's. Very condescending when I spoke to him about manufacturing in Canada

Better than Crockett Jones? What is he smoking? It hasn't completely messed him up yet, he should take another hit. Wow.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What specifically did he say that was condescending?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question: So what did he say about the possibility of bringing manufacturing back to Canada?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, it would take a lot of capital to restart high-end shoe manufacturing in Canada. Especially training workers.

That said, we might be able to compete with the lower dollar.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, it would take a lot of capital to restart high-end shoe manufacturing in Canada. Especially training workers.

That said, we might be able to compete with the lower dollar.

That's baloney. Viberg, Dayton, and Pajar manufacture boots in Canada. The greedy bastards are just too greedy.

I think that IF Dacks, Hartt, or even John McHale revived manufacturing in Canada, there'd be a cult following worldwide.

My father grew up in Hong Kong, and said Dacks, Florsheim and a few other English brands were killing it in terms of the dress shoes market. Dacks were particularly popular for some reason.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's baloney

Whoah whoah whoah, call off the dogs! This is a family forum.

But in all seriousness, I was referring to welted footwear on par with C&J, EG, or GG.

And I don't think a cult following is enough incentive to restart manufacturing. They would need to play the long game.

If you wanted to hit the top tier, you'd likely have to poach some employees from the UK/Spain/Italy/Hungary.

BudFox92

Reaction score
What specifically did he say that was condescending?

Question: So what did he say about the possibility of bringing manufacturing back to Canada?

Basically said buy a pair and return them if you don't like them after I asked if they had plans for a Toronto retailer.

I then asked how they compared to CJ and he went on about how they are better than both of those brands and that Church's used to own Hartt

Made in Canada is part of their "long term strategy"

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically said buy a pair and return them if you don't like them after I asked if they had plans for a Toronto retailer.

I then asked how they compared to CJ and he went on about how they are better than both of those brands and that Church's used to own Hartt

Made in Canada is part of their "long term strategy"

Really? So there is hope that they will make shoes in Canada again!!!

burgerkong

Reaction score
Not to gloat, but Massdrop x Carmina (yeah, product of that fiasco a couple months back) Rain Captoes with lasted trees and JR soles brand new for $250CAD (plus 2% ebates)? Way better value than LodinG. Be patient, I find most deals are out of country (Yanko, Carmina, EB etc). @Captain Waffles

Carminas.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads