• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Rug and Carpet Thread

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over 800 vendors exhibit. There may be a dozen serious rug dealers. There dozens of other vendors that always have rugs.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Over 800 vendors exhibit. There may be a dozen serious rug dealers. There dozens of other vendors that always have rugs.

Who knew? I thought all the Iranian expats lived in Southern California. I am going to have to check that out next time I am in the area. Sound like a great environment for carpet buyers and a lousy one for sellers!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I bought this rug off eBay for £100, including shipping. Sorry these are the only photos I have for now as I am away from home. Seller said it was 100% wool, Persian form the 1970s. I chose it because it's the only one I could find with paisleys on it (the grey cat is named Paisley—the black one is named Argyle, but I doubt I'll find an argyle rug). It's a bit worn as you can see, and one side is more faded than the other.

I know nothing about rugs. Please give me your opinions.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
447px-%E6%B8%85_%E9%83%8E%E4%B8%96%E5%AE%81%E7%BB%98%E3%80%8A%E6%B8%85%E9%AB%98%E5%AE%97%E4%B9%BE%E9%9A%86%E5%B8%9D%E6%9C%9D%E6%9C%8D%E5%83%8F%E3%80%8B.jpg

It would be neat to make a reproduction of the Qianlong Emperor's carpet—or a pocket square with the carpet design—hmm...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it has paisley designs my guess is that it would be from India and not Persian. But I am no rug expert. I only know about the rugs I own.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wikipedia says paisley is both Indian and Persian.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wikipedia says paisley is both Indian and Persian.

True the paisley design is classic Persian and Indian but in many years of buying vintage Persian rugs I can't recall seeing one rug with paisleys. The only paisley pattern rugs I recall seeing were woven in India in the 70's for import shops in the USA.

But, hey, all that matters is that you like the rug. If the condition is good you certainly got a great price.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought this rug off eBay for £100, including shipping. Sorry these are the only photos I have for now as I am away from home. Seller said it was 100% wool, Persian form the 1970s. I chose it because it's the only one I could find with paisleys on it (the grey cat is named Paisley—the black one is named Argyle, but I doubt I'll find an argyle rug). It's a bit worn as you can see, and one side is more faded than the other.

I know nothing about rugs. Please give me your opinions.

First, let's see the back and the fringes. That rug does look like it has a lot of wear. My WAG based on the wear patterns is that it is actually cotton but I could easily be mistaken. If it is wool, it has been in a high traffic area for a long time. If the rug was hand-knotted, you can usually tell from a close examination of the fringes whether the base is cotton or wool.

As for paisley, the pattern originally comes from Northern India or, depending on how your view these things, Southern Pakistan. Paisley is not closely associated with any particular city or style of Iranian carpet making but it is used a lot in all kinds of Iranian art, including carpets. I think, however, it is more common in Indian carpets. I have also seen carpets woven in Turkey with paisley patterns.

Now tell me about the tea set. I quite like it. From the picture, I would guess it is sterling.

Last edited:

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still haven't had a chance to take more photos of my paisley rug, but you can see more of the art deco tea set. It's silver plate.

I'm seriously considering getting the Qianlong rug woven. Has anyone had a custom rug made? A quick search found this one-man shop, Jason Collingwood. He says "The warp is linen, used for it's strength and inelasticity. The weft is a commercial quality carpet wool (80% wool, 20% nylon), a yarn spun specifically for use on the floor." The 20% nylon does not sit well with me; would you find this acceptable?

Tassels or no?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent, a lot of silver plate is junk and looks it. But some of it is very nice and well constructed. Your tea set appears to be in that category. Is it period or a reproduction? But beautiful in any case.

There are a number of places where you can commission a carpet using traditional methods and materials. Personally, I would not get a traditional-looking carpet using linen and nylon as they are not traditional materials. You would be surprised at how hard-wearing a 100% wool carpet can be.

I would explore the possibility of getting someone in India or Turkey to make you a carpet. The only proviso is that I would make sure they are certified as not using child-labor. Admittedly, that's not something you would have to worry about with your source, I'm sure.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A reminder to anyone in the Bay Area that this Sunday is the Alameda Flea market and an excellent opportunity to shop for rugs. There are good values to be had. Of course, some guys ask silly prices. There is something for everyones budget. I picked up a vintage prayer rug with dense weaving in good condition and with excellent color for only $35. It would probably have a price of $200+ in a store.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you sure that isn't a beach towel?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads