• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning a guys trip and the earliest everyone could make it out is the beginning of December (it's hard to get out when you have kids). I was wondering how bad the weather is and if we should we wait.

I last visited February 2020 right before the pandemic and our Airbnb host said she didn't have many visitors at that time of the year. I didn't think the weather was that bad, there was a light sprinkle but I don't think it rained too hard and we still had a great time.

Google search doesn't make December look too much worse than February: high/low temps of 46/37 to 50/38 and 15 rainy days to 13.

Is it generally muddy hiking in December? I was thinking of doing the Rose garden to Pitt mansion hike and Macleay park to witch's castle.

Any recs for food/bars/things to do? A lot of places I liked looked to have closed: Imperial (and all of Vitaly's restaurants), Pepe Le Moko, Toro Bravo, Little Bird Bistro (years ago), etc.

I see Afuri ramen is still open. Is the Lan Su gardens worth visiting?

Thanks.

js0930

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning a guys trip and the earliest everyone could make it out is the beginning of December (it's hard to get out when you have kids). I was wondering how bad the weather is and if we should we wait.

I last visited February 2020 right before the pandemic and our Airbnb host said she didn't have many visitors at that time of the year. I didn't think the weather was that bad, there was a light sprinkle but I don't think it rained too hard and we still had a great time.

Google search doesn't make December look too much worse than February: high/low temps of 46/37 to 50/38 and 15 rainy days to 13.

Is it generally muddy hiking in December? I was thinking of doing the Rose garden to Pitt mansion hike and Macleay park to witch's castle.

Any recs for food/bars/things to do? A lot of places I liked looked to have closed: Imperial (and all of Vitaly's restaurants), Pepe Le Moko, Toro Bravo, Little Bird Bistro (years ago), etc.

I see Afuri ramen is still open. Is the Lan Su gardens worth visiting?

Thanks.

If you don’t mind rain, anywhere from November to March won’t be that different.

Food wise it’s a bit of a new generation, but there’s so many amazing places to eat right now. Stuff I’ve been to recently or had a friend go to: Sunshine Noodles, Dame, Republica (mindblowing with the agave pairing, hard to do with kids), Eem/Paadee/Hat Yai/anything Earl Nimsom touches,Le Pigeon/Canard, Gado Gado - the Willamette Week is really good with their where to eat/drink lists as well.

Lan Su is nice, the area around it is real rough right now. Hiking will just be muddy - but if you don’t mind the rain any of the waterfalls will be big that time of year. Let me know if you want more ideas - I’ve lived here most of my life and can definitely come up with more.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good recs so far! I'll second Luce, Republica, Eem/Hat Yai, and Canard. I'd also add Cafe Rowan to the list (brunches Friday-Sunday or dinner on Wednesday/Thursday, if you can make a reservation), Bar West, La Bottega (if you're willing to cross the river for killer Italian food), Mediterranean Exploration Company, Nong's Khao Man Gai, Andina, Olympia Provisions, and on and on. So many places to eat, dude. For coffee; Heart, Coava, Good Coffee, Keeper, Upper Left, Roseline, etc.

domdomdomdom

Reaction score
@domdomdomdom you've gone to Kann? Still trying to get a reservation.

Oh! Adding one more to my list; Dimo's Apizza. So good.

Kann is the one place on my list I haven't gone - just included it because the hype is as high for any Portland restaurant as I've seen. I should also note that I went very light on the list with Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Vietnamese/Mexican food because the person I created this list for was visiting from LA.

utjtl21

Reaction score
Yeah, Coquine is tops on the list. You'll need reservations for the restaurant when they become available 2 weeks in advance. I just returned from a week in Portland/Newberg and failed to secure reservations. However, I had a nice meal at the Coquine Market next door for a scaled down experience. It was nice to see and visit with Ksandek as always. And I always eat at Olympia Provisions before my departure. Great experience. I enjoyed dinner at St. Jack last year.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs everyone, the places look and sound great. The food never disappoints. I will be going without the kids.

Is there a neighborhood (walkable) you'd guys recommend for bar hopping (good drinks, fairly lively)? Forgot where I went last time but things seemed pretty spread out and we had to Uber around.

Lan Su is nice, the area around it is real rough right now. Hiking will just be muddy - but if you don’t mind the rain any of the waterfalls will be big that time of year. Let me know if you want more ideas - I’ve lived here most of my life and can definitely come up with more.

Thanks, appreciate the help. Is the Pearl and Old Town area that bad now (safety wise)? Was planning on going to Dante's cabaret.

Any ideas for things to do besides eating/drinking/hiking (won't make it out to the Gorge we won't have a car) would be great. Thanks

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs everyone, the places look and sound great. The food never disappoints. I will be going without the kids.

Is there a neighborhood (walkable) you'd guys recommend for bar hopping (good drinks, fairly lively)? Forgot where I went last time but things seemed pretty spread out and we had to Uber around.

Thanks, appreciate the help. Is the Pearl and Old Town area that bad now (safety wise)? Was planning on going to Dante's cabaret.

Any ideas for things to do besides eating/drinking/hiking (won't make it out to the Gorge we won't have a car) would be great. Thanks

Chinatown is still cool with good places to eat, but it's pretty rugged nowadays. Still charming in its own way :)

Neighborhoods: Belmont, Hawthorne, Sellwood, Alberta, NE Broadway, Hollywood District.

js0930

Reaction score

Really depends - if things go bad Old Town is not a place I’d want to be in with kids but as you’re traveling without it’s likely not a big deal. The Pearl is completely fine.

Helium Comedy puts on a good show, Portland Center Stage is a very good theater company and there are some good smaller theater companies as well if that appeals, there’s some decent shopping if you want to take advantage of no sales tax. If you get a dry day rent a bike (or take one of the Niketown bikes) and explore the city.

I know it’s still drinking but distillery row is fun for tastings, Pairings is probably my favorite shop for wine and they do great tastings - the food across the street is great as well, particularly Tropicale. The weeklies - Portland Mercury and Willamette Week both will have listings of everything going on once you’re here. Feel free to hit me up once it’s closer as well and I’ll have more ideas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads