• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
acquainted with this shop, good guys and legit vintage

knathaniel

Reaction score
I was planning on heading to PDX at the end of the month, but my friends told me not to since there was a another lockdown...not the worst, but advised to visit later. Instead, I pivoted my trip to a couple days in Seattle. That said...

Idk about y'all but I don't feel like there was ever a real lockdown. We haven't had inside dining open (the bare minimum IMO), but everyone's built patios and stuff so I feel like apart from the restaurants/bars/venues that had to shut down you're not really limited in where you can eat.

This is also coming from a person who has only been doing take out for the last year.

The last time I was in Seattle (Feb 2020) these places were great:
Mamnoon (dinner), Stateside (dinner), Oddfellows (coffee/brunch), Navy Strength (tiki bar)

Obligatory RIP Totokaelo

WestLinn

Reaction score
Cafe Rowan is great. Just recently had brunch there and was impressed.

Other good spots: Ya Hala, Luce, Fire on the Mountain (wings and beer), Eem, Meditteranean Exploration Company, Lardo, Besaw's. Coffee at Coava, Heart, Good Coffee, Barista, Roseline.

There are more... but, wander around, try stuff out.
I moved from there a few years back, and my DD has graduated from UP and we moved her from her job in McMinville recently so I don't know about what it's like there now, but I always loved cheap mexican food and Senor Taco got more than my fair share of business over the years. I loved Pine State Biscuits the first time I went but the successive times seemed to let me down, not sure if it was them or me. And I will forever miss BlueStar donuts. I would always pick up a donut for my DD when I visited to watch her UP soccer games and before I left the airport, and if close to 5 pm, they always threw in an extra for free. Oh, and the Mama Leone and Tomato Orange soup from Elephant's Deli. The recipe's are online, but I just can't replicate how good it is from home. And yes, I like American'ized Thai food and you can't swing a dead cat by the tail and not hit about five good Thai food places from any corner in Portland.

dixonmanor

Reaction score
The last time I was in Seattle (Feb 2020) these places were great:
Mamnoon (dinner), Stateside (dinner), Oddfellows (coffee/brunch), Navy Strength (tiki bar)

Obligatory RIP Totokaelo

2nd the rec. for Oddfellows. Matt's on the Market, Le Pichet and Cafe Presse, Walrus & Carpenter, and London Plane are also faves. Obviously hit Dick's Drive In. Been hearing good things about the brand new Saint Bread as well. I also 2nd the rec for Navy Strength. Other great Seattle tiki bar is Rhumba. See also: Damn the Weather, ZigZag Cafe... Canon can be cool, but also a lil too serious for me sometimes.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again just in case..... Marukin Ramen.

Heads up it's now called Kinboshi. It was very good, as was the Khao Man Gai place next to it. Also ended up grabbing halibut fish and chips from Portland Fish Market in Woodstock which is a dish you just can't find in Texas and made me really happy.

garthbernstein

Reaction score
I'm headed that way in a week and would love recs on food from anyone. It's been about 6-7 years. For reference I thought Tasty and Sons was great and the vibe (heard it's 'nicer' now) was good. Any opinions on Sugarpine? Doing a drive out that way and it looks solid.

Find Kachka and the Scotch Lodge

dixonmanor

Reaction score
No spare Nike passes, but: Halo Shoes is now an Engineered Garments stockist. I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but I was pleasantly surprised when I popped in last weekend and found last years' brown duck painter pants on sale. Matches my Bedford for a complete brown duck suit.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No spare Nike passes, but: Halo Shoes is now an Engineered Garments stockist. I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but I was pleasantly surprised when I popped in last weekend and found last years' brown duck painter pants on sale. Matches my Bedford for a complete brown duck suit.
Halo Shoes has a surprisingly good selection of stuff. Staff is nice too (I’m bad with names or else I would say who)

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frances May just added to sale updates.

Fumerie should be on the list for pdx visits and locals alike. Best in class fragrance shop. Lovely staff, and great way to spend an hour and discover some new smells.

I recently checked out stand up comedy for the first time in a while. Some good stuff in there. Surprised to see Kapital in pdx.

If anyones still looking for ES pass, HMU.

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a real estate agent they like? Doing a scouting trip next month and want to look at some places. Feel free to message me.
If you're looking for mid-century...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads