• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford . . . reviewed

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I hope you aren't an English major either, because I could swear that I typed that the dollar would get stronger, not overtake either currency in exchange value:

And it looks like I did. I know you thought you were going to show that you were smarter than I, but it looks like you lacked the edification to do so. Good job.
baldy[1].gif
+
crackup[1].gif

Jon.

It looks like the little red dude is trying to bash through a wall and the guy on the other side is just laughing at him. Sweet!

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Wait until the Euro and the Pound are down, and see Americans flock over across the pond to purchase new sartorial finery at less-than-American-prices."

To have price point of reference is a bad thing. I remember having 3 course dinner with wine for 5 one late night in Paris and receiving a bill for less than 100 dollars.
When I saw it we looked at each other with my friend, smiled and asked the waiter: "Is that for the whole table?" and when he confirmed we paid for the whole company which made our French friends very happy.

Good times when Franc was 8 to 1 against US dollar. I hope those Muslim immigrants would eventually bankrupt French economy, so I can come and pillage the shops.

P.S. TF is a joke.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I hope you aren’t an English major either, because I could swear that I typed that the dollar would get stronger, not overtake either currency in exchange value: And it looks like I did. I know you thought you were going to show that you were smarter than I, but it looks like you lacked the edification to do so. Good job.
baldy[1].gif
+
crackup[1].gif
Jon.

Well, I stayed away from an ad-hominem argument. I'm not sure why you feel the need to lash out at me personally with such vitrol, but to each his own. I would trust you could have responded without doing as such. "less-than-American-prices" implies that by buying an item in the UK with dollars you would beat the price of that item in the US. Sure, there may be a small percentage of goods and services where it would make sense when the dollar gets stronger, without overtaking the GBP, but at what level? Since 1990 the GBP has never gone below $1.40 - on average for the year.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
Well, I stayed away from an ad-hominem argument. I'm not sure why you feel the need to lash out at me personally with such vitrol, but to each his own. I would trust you could have responded without doing as such.

"less-than-American-prices" implies that by buying an item in the UK with dollars you would beat the price of that item in the US. Sure, there may be a small percentage of goods and services where it would make sense when the dollar gets stronger, without overtaking the GBP, but at what level? Since 1990 the GBP has never gone below $1.40 - on average for the year.

No it doesn't, you merely assumed a direct correlation, whereas in reality American travelers who travel to Europe with an advantages exchange rate plus not having to pay VAT, plus goods that are oftentimes cheaper in Europe anyways, equates to better prices than one would pay for the same good in the US.

And I mention in passing, but your post was ad-hominem...

Jon.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
The thing I most agree with is it becoming another Bijan (who actually I think is still around only because he owns the building the store is in and doesn't have to pay Rodeo Dr. rent). I would walk by that store several times a week and see no one around. One night at a bar I met one of the receptionists and he told me that they maybe have 2-3 clients a week.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The thing I most agree with is it becoming another Bijan (who actually I think is still around only because he owns the building the store is in and doesn't have to pay Rodeo Dr. rent). I would walk by that store several times a week and see no one around. One night at a bar I met one of the receptionists and he told me that they maybe have 2-3 clients a week.
Could be. And perhaps to wealthy tourists, Tom Ford's establishment might affect a cachet. Rather doubt it, but anything is possible.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The service at most places sucks. If you walk in anywhere wearing jeans and a t shirt they give you some digusting look. Ive noticed that this is pretty much everywehre in NYC. Ive been to Dior, GA, EA..several places with a tee shirt and jeans in the middle of the day and the service was horrible. Yes, I was looking around most of the time but who knows I might just buy something. One time I walked around some places to buy a suit..I went to armani..prada..the service was so bad that it just turned me away. I walked in with a dirty t shirt and ragged jeans to Zegna and the service was great. Its the only place in NYC where theres been good service in my experience other than Margiela.

I think the best service is in LV stores and some in LA. I like the service so much better, I go look at stuff in NYC and just phone order it from my SA's in LV. It pisses the people in nyc off but in the end they deserve it

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This faux-patrician appeal that Tom Ford is constructing here only shows how much of an artificial personality he has. Considering that all his esthetic nuances are derived from Studio 54, no wonder he can't quite get it right.

The interior design, though, doesn't look too bad although it does draw heavily from a combination of Adolf Loos and Dorothy Draper.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tom_ford_20.jpg

. . . I wonder if Mr. Ford will miss designing garments, like these . . .

strazzaque

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I hope those Muslim immigrants would eventually bankrupt French economy, so I can come and pillage the shops.

Muslim immigrants only, eh? And we would set about this by....

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This store sounds like an idea churned out by a slew of amateur marketing managers, holding focus group discussion reports, probably telling Tom Ford he should be more snobbish than all the Gucci and LV stores- combined.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Ford has been played way the hell out for a while now anyway. No one would be reading anything about this new store if it wasn't for some intensive marketing work.

Won't last past when the lease runs out.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Muslim immigrants only, eh? And we would set about this by....
I'm awaiting your reply as well, dkzzz

Michael1981

Reaction score
To my knowledge the New York store is being used as a branding tool, and the commercial success of the Tom Ford brand will be contingent on his line being picked up at menswear retailers.

I work for 1 of the 2 major Canadian retailers and apparently they are pretty close to signing on for the exclusive right to sell his product here in Canada. I think there was mention of shirts starting at $800 and suits at $4000.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
The service at most places sucks. If you walk in anywhere wearing jeans and a t shirt they give you some digusting look. Ive noticed that this is pretty much everywehre in NYC. Ive been to Dior, GA, EA..several places with a tee shirt and jeans in the middle of the day and the service was horrible. Yes, I was looking around most of the time but who knows I might just buy something. One time I walked around some places to buy a suit..I went to armani..prada..the service was so bad that it just turned me away. I walked in with a dirty t shirt and ragged jeans to Zegna and the service was great. Its the only place in NYC where theres been good service in my experience other than Margiela.

I think the best service is in LV stores and some in LA. I like the service so much better, I go look at stuff in NYC and just phone order it from my SA's in LV. It pisses the people in nyc off but in the end they deserve it

LV has great service in Toronto too. I was well-dressed, but I spent quite a while in there choosing a bag, and a lot of people that were dressed casually got treated just fine. I went in to Prada and Chanel just to compare, and they were both much different experiences, even though I was carrying around a LV shopping bag at that point. At prada I was ignored. And Chanel was run by snooty women in their 50s that wore too much make-up and jewelery.

LV gets high marks as a good retail experience from me, which doesn't necessarily correlate with high price. I've been completely put-off by the behavior of sales people at some stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads