• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares?

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique
This has got to be among the most hideous womens' style trends, probably second only to chopping off all their hair and looking like boys.
You mean, except for Halle Berry and Steve McQueen's wife, right?
a0Gni.jpg

Neile & Steve

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has got to be among the most hideous womens' style trends, probably second only to chopping off all their hair and looking like boys.
I love short hair styles, very refreshing from the usual blah straightened long hair that everyone has.

juliank

Reaction score
shocker: only women of above average attractiveness can get away with anything in fashion that defies conventions and traditional notions of beauty

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juliank
shocker: only women of above average attractiveness can get away with anything in fashion that defies conventions and traditional notions of beauty

Women above average attractiveness can get away with wearing anything, everything or nothing.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We could sit here all day and list off girls that actually pull it off, but the fact of the matter is that they're all either attractive enough where they can pull off pretty much anything or they're simply just the exception to the rule. Most girls can't pull it off, and go from looking reasonably attractive to absolutely hideous. Then all their stupid girl friends do nothing but compliment her on how "cute" her new look is and she feels validated about it. It's dumb. BTW I would have gone with:
Jean-Seberg-001.jpg
inlove.gif

juliank

Reaction score
We could sit here all day and list off girls that actually pull it off, but the fact of the matter is that they're all either attractive enough where they can pull off pretty much anything or they're simply just the exception to the rule. Most girls can't pull it off, and go from looking reasonably attractive to absolutely hideous. Then all their stupid girl friends do nothing but compliment her on how "cute" her new look is and she feels validated about it. It's dumb.

BTW I would have gone with:

Jean-Seberg-001.jpg

inlove.gif

+ 1

Esp the part about her stupid "you go grrrl" friends when it's most obvious she just went from looking cute to unattractive. FB is rife with this ****.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fashion trends become big when clothing fads tap into the Zietgeist. At least among well educated, urbane people who like the symbolic value of clothing. Workwear was incredibly popular because of the "simplicity" "austerity" and "masculinity" inherent in the style, especially given the state of the economy.

I think a post-recession climate will push towards a "stylish minimalism" thats less european and more "american" in aesthetic (I'm thinking about Apple aesthetics). Still austere, but understated and sophisticated in it's simplicity. Designers like Ervell and Sander, which are common here, will start seeing a greater popularity. Personally, I see the gap being in a perfect position to take advantage of this shift, if it can recognize the hallmarks of this neomodernist aesthetic (small collars, shrunken/cropped jackets, knits) and capitalize it ala Jcrew's boots-denim-flannel double-down.

Fast Fashion, on the other hand, will discover margiela-esque cool and push tha in the same way it pushed Slimaine-ripoffs for the past couple years.

Unless a plague breaks out, then post apocalyptic wear will become popular.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GN I don't see how "stylish minimalism" is an "American aesthetic" as opposed to a "European aesthetic".

And I think that a clothing trend "taps into the zeitgeist" to the extent that a bunch of good marketing copy says so.

And I don't think the Gap is ever going to be able to take advantage of anything.

But good post though. Please feel free to convert me through force of argument & cash gifts.

Originally Posted by UrbanAesthetics
Never. It's an upcoming trend right now, but for WOMEN. I really don't see Bootcut jeans make a solid comeback. Nothing can beat the Slim-Fit Era that we're currently in...
http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

Dude it's amazing how little perspective you have on fashion.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I base this on next to nothing but I feel mellowfellow's silhouette will be the next male silhouette with a relaxed thigh and even taper.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88

O/T - I found Steve McQueen's hands and shoes imprint over at Mann's Chinese Theater. He wears size 11.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Fashion trends become big when clothing fads tap into the Zietgeist. At least among well educated, urbane people who like the symbolic value of clothing. Workwear was incredibly popular because of the "simplicity" "austerity" and "masculinity" inherent in the style, especially given the state of the economy.

I think a post-recession climate will push towards a "stylish minimalism" thats less european and more "american" in aesthetic (I'm thinking about Apple aesthetics). Still austere, but understated and sophisticated in it's simplicity. Designers like Ervell and Sander, which are common here, will start seeing a greater popularity. Personally, I see the gap being in a perfect position to take advantage of this shift, if it can recognize the hallmarks of this neomodernist aesthetic (small collars, shrunken/cropped jackets, knits) and capitalize it ala Jcrew's boots-denim-flannel double-down.

Fast Fashion, on the other hand, will discover margiela-esque cool and push tha in the same way it pushed Slimaine-ripoffs for the past couple years.

Unless a plague breaks out, then post apocalyptic wear will become popular.

Summary of predictions....

1. American fashion will become more American and less European, as embodied by Apple's minimalist aesthetics.

2. Yet paradoxically Fast Fashion will head towards a look resembling Margiela.

3. And The Gap will profit heavily from these new trends!

While I admire the audacity of trying to combine all these concepts together, your arguments need more analysis and fewer grand predictions. I will admit I've occasionally written some crazy **** here myself, but this is really over the top and trying too hard to sound intellectual. Please try again, I'm sure you can do better.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summary, with less writing
1) "Less is more" will be more popular in the way workwear is popular, but right now less-is-more iin a way that is sophisticated rather than boring is a little bit hard to do given the price and availability of current minimalistic offerings (Jil/APC/Ervell, everything i see on selectism)
1a) Workwear was popular in part because of the recession and in part because it was "easy to do."
1b) Design minimalism as a sort of modernism is I think a "thing" now but isn't "easy to do" as a fashion statement in same way that workwear is.
2) Fast fashion is always making trashy "cool" clothing but will steal from margiela instead of heidi-era dior
3) The gap has been selling unadorned basics for a while so it might be able to capitalize on #1 by being more uniqlo/+J.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads