1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by willpower, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

What are wide legs? Are we talking just less tapered looser cuts or are we talking silly wide leg stuff like we saw in the 90s? I have no problem with the first (been mixing in looser cuts for a while now) but definitely won't be touching the second.

2. willpower

willpower Senior member

What are wide legs? Are we talking just less tapered looser cuts or are we talking silly wide leg stuff like we saw in the 90s? I have no problem with the first (been mixing in looser cuts for a while now) but definitely won't be touching the second.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Wide legs are definitely coming back, looser silhouettes in general. Flares too, probably. Which is great.
    +1

4. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

5. willpower

willpower Senior member

Meh. I don't really care for those. In fact, I don't really care for many styles reminiscent of the late 60s or early 70s. I'd much rather be considered unstylish than dress like a hippie.
    There has been some degree of "hippiedom" for males in the past several years - the combination beard/long hair look (Dave Grohl, Jesus, The Black Keys, etc). Easy for many to go as Charles Manson for Halloween. Never "rocked" it myself, but I see the combo all over the place. Clothing-wise, I might wear wider legged jeans, but bell bottoms is asking too much. You could buy cheaper shoes as a result, though.

6. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

i have some true religion billy super t flared jeans.[​IMG]

7. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Fashion: The front lines of cultural cannibalism.

I wrote a response to this and then realized I didn't know what you were talking about, elaborate please because this sounds interesting.

All of those degrees and more, hashed out over and over until everyone is tired of it, at which people will start pushing skinny jeans again.

8. Dellath

Dellath Senior member

I could go into it at length but in a nutshell, with the proliferation of the internet into our everyday lives our current cultures content gets diluted through the stream of constant updates, blog and forum posts, news articles, youtube videos, etc...

With this high level of diluted content comes an increase in consumption amongst the general populous and in the higher extremes of consumers there is a strong trend of dipping into previous trends or cultures to supplement their content diet when there is not enough current content to occupy them. The reason why 80's parties never go away, why nearly every blockbuster movie these days is remakes or sequels of established comic books or movies.

We are running out of content and we are too easily occupied to give time to new kinds and forms of it when previously established content gets rehashed very simply and on mass in easy and recognizable forms.

Now this regurgitating of previous cultures has always been apart of our society, but not at these high levels, and fashion seems to be one of the most obvious. I seem to remember that the leg flares were a trend in the mid to late 90's and if that is the case then it seems that fashion is a head of the bell curve.

That's my opinion piece on this subject in a very incomplete and short form, hope it clears up my statement for you.

9. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Cool, I can see where you might think that (you could really fortify that argument by talking about the behavior of film companies during the introduction of the vcr) but ultimately the effects you're talking about have a bunch of discrete disparate factors that don't really boil down into a faster and more intense rate of information intake.

Fashion has always borrowed from previous eras dog, just leaf through some old GQs or something. Also, 80's parties are not this eternal constant thing for most people. Also, I don't know what "bell curve" you're talking about, that is usually used to refer to probability distribution.

Luckily I am holding office hours next week.

10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    These are absolutely fucking hideous.

11. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

the top ones are fine

12. Hollywars

Hollywars Senior member

Meh. I don't really care for those. In fact, I don't really care for many styles reminiscent of the late 60s or early 70s. I'd much rather be considered unstylish than dress like a hippie.

I have to agree, anything but dress like a hippie.

13. Dellath

Dellath Senior member

I packed a lot of turn of phrases in there along with generalizations, "Bell curve" being a big one, so take what i say with a grain of salt. I thought i addressed the fact that Fashion borrows from previous eras with my fourth paragraph, but to me it is also the most obvious medium to see when previous eras have been used.

80's parties ain't my thing, it's just that they won't die already...

Enjoy your posts Robot, keep it up!

14. willpower

willpower Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are absolutely fucking hideous.

I think the bottom ones are much less flattering.

15. aznanon

aznanon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ouch... I think it's going to take a while for me to accept that look. Actually, I don't think it's ever going to happen.

16. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

women would say that about a lot of what the guys here wear, too.

17. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

I barely recognize any of the posters in this thread? Did the flare jeans/wide leg thread summon all of you out from under a rock?

I thought this was a necropost as well.

18. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Ehh, blogs and newspapers are full of spurious "trend" reports. The New York Times Style Page tried to tell us a couple of years ago that pot bellies were trendy. So basically I will believe bell bottoms are in style when my girlfriend and her friends start wearing them.

19. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

i base my fashion solely on a couple of friends, they still wear R&R and TR and their defense for not getting fitted denim is "i'm not a fag". when those guys buy their first pair of APC NS i will believe wide legs are back, when they're so blatantly scared and against anything i know i'm on the right track

20. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

I barely recognize any of the posters in this thread? Did the flare jeans/wide leg thread summon all of you out from under a rock?

I thought this was a necropost as well.

It's okay, no one's going to hold it against you. But if you're going to be making a thousand posts a year you really need to do a better job of knowing who's on the forum. Perhaps more coffee? Vitamin C? Stronger glasses? [​IMG]