• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I got a promotion from Lecturer of English to Lecturer of Exercise Science, P.E. Coach and Club Coordinator. Less teaching hours, but more responsibility and higher paycheck.
smile.gif
Summer and winter vacations, I get to travel to other countries with students for sport activities for free.

cheers.gif

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
The following is something I have been thinking about off and on for a while.

What came first: The failing school or the failing community?

Thoughts?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The dumb ass people who bred dumb ass children.

The parents led to the fall of the community. The kids led to the fall of the school, with the parents help of course.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf does the question even mean? Average IQ is the highest in the history of the world.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But seriously- teachers. The second those libs started letting teachers into schools instead of real professionals, things went to hell in a hand basket.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FtRoyalty
The following is something I have been thinking about off and on for a while.

What came first: The failing school or the failing community?

Thoughts?

IMO(I am not impartial) the schools are not failing. Compared to other OECD countries we have improved over the last 10 years. We are above average in math and reading and average in science. ESL students and kids who just don't care(I have seen students draw pokemon on standarized tests) skew our scores. American women score the highest in the world and our post-secondary education is #1.

We are definitely failing in certain areas:
1. Racial gaps in school performances.
2. Secondary education needs to be drastically improved.
3. Parent participation.
4. Overemphasizing core academic classes to the detriment of other studies. I am tired of popcorn reading in a sophmore world history class.
5. Dealing with problem students.

Unregistered

Reaction score
NYR, I only wish my professors would dress better they do (more like you!)

It is sad when an undergraduate student (like me) presents research at a conference and is better dressed than the graduate students and the professor (principle investigator)!

No chance of a professor here wearing a nice sport coat, much less a suit.

Lots of socks with sandals though.
ffffuuuu.gif

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
IMO(I am not impartial) the schools are not failing. Compared to other OECD countries we have improved over the last 10 years. We are above average in math and reading and average in science. ESL students and kids who just don't care(I have seen students draw pokemon on standarized tests) skew our scores. American women score the highest in the world and our post-secondary education is #1.

We are definitely failing in certain areas:
1. Racial gaps in school performances.
3. Parent participation.
4. Overemphasizing core academic classes to the detriment of other studies. I am tired of popcorn reading in a sophmore world history class.
5. Dealing with problem students.

I would also add low SES students as well. This varies by community, but schools that 40%+ of their population on free or reduced lunch are going to have a tough time.

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85
But seriously- teachers. The second those libs started letting teachers into schools instead of real professionals, things went to hell in a hand basket.

I've always thought of schools as businesses; some are better managed than others. However, I think perspective is important and not basing everything on theory. I'd be curious to see someone with an MBA run a school instead of a MEd.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FtRoyalty
I've always thought of schools as businesses; some are better managed than others. However, I think perspective is important and not basing everything on theory. I'd be curious to see someone with an MBA run a school instead of a MEd.

Hmm, cultivation of good citizens and people and increasing corporate profits are not one and the same.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1

I live in South Korea, who has excellent math and science scores, but the price they pay is crazy. Many kids get out of school only to go to a private cram-school til as late as 11pm. As a matter of fact, some sort of afterschool education is essentially expected. Getting into the right college means you have it made here (they all know the rankings.), but amusingly, once you get in college is a breeze compared to high school.

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
At both private schools I taught at, there was a very large Korean population. The impression I got was that these were the kids who weren't successful in the Korean education system but had the means to get into American private schools.

On a side note, when I retire (still have a LONG way to go), I would strongly consider being a guardian for some Korean students. They are very well paid for basically watching kids on the weekends and being a liasion between parents and the school.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I live in South Korea, who has excellent math and science scores, but the price they pay is crazy. Many kids get out of school only to go to a private cram-school til as late as 11pm. As a matter of fact, some sort of afterschool education is essentially expected. Getting into the right college means you have it made here (they all know the rankings.), but amusingly, once you get in college is a breeze compared to high school.

Basically all Asian countries, really. Doesn't make them smarter, though. Look at the Chinese.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads