• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just bought my first blazer in preparation for employment. What do you guys think of the fit? How could it be improved? I'm a total beginner. Ignore casual chinos.
OEhbz.jpg

LpkXh.jpg

OPntu.jpg

first, are wearing your trousers down on your butt ? it should be up on your natural waist. thats just above your hip bones.
if you are not, the blazer looks about 10 inches too short. are you just spoofing us?

Last edited:

cxbxw

Reaction score

first, are wearing your trousers down on your butt ? it should be up on your natural waist. thats just above your hip bones.
if you are not, the blazer looks about 10 inches too short. are you just spoofing us?

I said 'ignore casual chinos'.

I wasn't preparing for work, more, I was slouching around the house, and threw on the blazer for a fit picture. Why are you commenting on my trousers when I asked questions Re. my blazer?

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I said 'ignore casual chinos'.

I wasn't preparing for work, more, I was slouching around the house, and threw on the blazer for a fit picture. Why are you commenting on my trousers when I asked questions Re. my blazer?

Because you can't critique something unless you take careful pictures of how it will actually be worn. if you want good feed back there needs to be good photos to judge from. There were tips at the beginning of this thread of what and how photos should be submitted.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for any tips from the tailors on what needs to be done to make this jacket fit better. Just got it back from Brooks Brothers and was happy with what I saw in the mirror, but am not happy with how big it looks in the pictures. I see excess fabric around the shoulder blades and there does not appear to be any v to the jacket. Does the chest/shoulder blades need some sort of suppression? Any thoughts?

Any advice from the tailors on how to improve this fit would be greatly appreciated. For example, is the jacket too long? Too big around the shoulder blades and under the arms? Appeciate all that you do for SF members.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Did you try on other sizes, this looks to big to begin with

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too big in the shoulders/blades? This is a Samuelsohn suit, and I've sized up to a 40R.

Obvious corrections are collar length, sleeves, and possibly the length by about a half inch (balance permitting)

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Did you try on other sizes, this looks to big to begin with

Yes, this is a 43L. I tried on the 42L and it bowed out significantly in the lapels. The shoulders fit very well in the 42L and seem to fit fine in this one as well, but the chest seems to have too much room. Could the bowing of the lapels have been fixed to fit me in the 42L?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes the bow can be corrected depending on the cause. Several things could contribute to the bowing, some correctable some not. This jacket doesn't bow out over your chest but everything else is off. A front shot with the jacket unbuttoned will help.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the bow can be corrected depending on the cause. Several things could contribute to the bowing, some correctable some not. This jacket doesn't bow out over your chest but everything else is off. A front shot with the jacket unbuttoned will help.

I do not have the jacket with me at the office today, but will take a picture with it unbuttoned tonight. If it also helps, I'm still a little larger in the chest and shoulders due to a long history of lifting weights (not so much lifting anymore, but still a little larger).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Too big in the shoulders/blades? This is a Samuelsohn suit, and I've sized up to a 40R.

Obvious corrections are collar length, sleeves, and possibly the length by about a half inch (balance permitting)

ss.jpg

You need shoulder and collar work for your square shoulders

Velazkez

Reaction score
Any advice from the tailors on how to improve this fit would be greatly appreciated. For example, is the jacket too long? Too big around the shoulder blades and under the arms? Appeciate all that you do for SF members.

This jacket fits similarly to how BB fits me. Is the button placement on this jacket too far above the waist, or is that just the style that this type of suit goes for?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, your shoulders look to be high/square and the jacket shoulders are sloped so the two angles don't mesh. That's why you have the roll under the collar and maybe feel pressure at the end of your shoulder. Also see tension across the blades. This could all be done by correcting the shoulder.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks in advance!!
So is it true that one of the tailors who have been more than wonderful in helping with critiques in this thread is from San Francisco? I am going to my tailor this weekend in Los Gatos, would definitely postpone the trip to make it out and see one of you gentleman in the North Bay instead.
I ask because I have 2 suits, similar to the one I will show, that I am getting tailored. I like the suits in general. I would not categorize them as "power suits" by SF standards, more like work horses good enough for my starting career. But as I am planning to get the remaining two suits tailored, I am also venturing out to more jackets/ sport coats.
I am posting to see whether the jackets currently are too big/wide in the shoulders on me. The jacket allows "perfect" layering of a variety of combinations: shirt +/- sweater +/- light down jacket!
I am just wondering if I should
A) Stick to the same shoulder measurements, or go .25" smaller. Currently 17.5" shoulders on jackets in general.
B) Should I slim down the jackets?
Again, I like the overall fitting currently but I am asking out of curiosity in question B, and more about fit with question A.
Appreciate the feedback!​
PHOTOS!: :)
6849729085_165c3283e3_b.jpg

6849738409_32a406782c_b.jpg

6849741799_0887b28aff_b.jpg

Layering the jacket here: :lol:
6849778947_e6325d2dd4_b.jpg

Honest opinions please, but keep it relevant....these suits are not MC approved by any measure FWIW.
THANK YOU! :bigstar:

bump

TuckerSon

Reaction score
Is it possible for a tailor to shorten the part where my dress shirt is attached to the sleeve? (so my shirt won't hang below my shoulders)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads