1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. nandreetta

nandreetta Member

Thanks for the feedback, Despos. I'll revisit the local tailor to see how much material they can get out of the smaller trousers. Any particular alteration suggestions for the jacket? Am I right that it's too small in the waist or is it okay? Even though I feel it pulls and the two sides should close more below the button, there still seems to be extra fabric in the back picture. Are these adjusted independently?

2. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

blech
    try moving to the tutorials for more information. look for the title many ways to take in the sides of a jacket.

3. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Please give me feedback on this shirt. I think the sleeves are a tad long and tight in the arms but not enough to fret over. Overall seems very fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

4. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

On 2nd thought I'm thinking this is too tight in the shoulders and chest. It's an OTR 15.75 (40). I wonder if a 16 will be better or still too small.

Here's a better photo:
    [​IMG]

5. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

P.B.
    is this shirt a rtw, or a m2m?
    you say the collar is a 15.75. that sounds like a m2m.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Help on these 2 suits would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. I dont understand why the back of my jacket sleeves wrinkle SO much. This thread makes me what to fly out to where one of you guys are and have you tailor my suits. I just don't know/trust any local tailor here in NJ.

1) Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald 36S
    - Besides the left arm sleeve being much shorter, I feel my shirt sleeves are too long?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) Brooks Brothers Black Fleece BB0 (Approx 36S)​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. A264172

A264172 Member

If it's even 4cm too tight, go with the 16".

8. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Hi There!
    It's an OTR Borrelli shirt. The neck is snug, not super tight. I'm most concerned about the shoulders and pulling in the chest. Do you think sizing one up to the 16" will do the trick?

15.75" specs:
    Neck: 15.75"
    Chest: 44.75"
    Across Back: 17.75"
    Sleeve Length: 35"
    Overall Length: 30.25"
    Point Length: 3"
    Waist: 41.5"

16" specs:
    Neck: 16"
    Chest: 46.25"
    Across Back: 18.25"
    Sleeve Length: 35.5"
    Overall Length: 30.5"
    Point Length: 3"
    Waist: 43"

9. kennon

kennon Member

Thank you for the feedback! And I apologize if I and some others came off as a bit petulant. I'd imagine I speak for everyone when I say we're all really, really grateful for your help on this forum.

Regarding the shirt, I was worried that there is a lot more fabric floating around in the back compared to other peoples' pictures, but the tailor said he tapered and darted the shirt quite drastically already. It still fits considerably better than anything off the rack. Plus, I'm not sure if it will change after I run it through the wash a couple times.

I'll try to post better pictures of the trousers this weekend. I was in the process of moving so I didn't have a suitable belt or shoes at the time :)

10. blech

blech Member

thanks, a tailor!

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I am honestly curious, is there a tailor in the Bay Area that understands what is this so called "styleforum approved" dress code for modern fit in regards to the subforum of MC?

I would definitely be interested in paying he or she a visit as I have a small amount of alterations to be made and would like their input.

Or are the tailors only as good as the individual who details what they specifically like the way their suit/trousers fit?

Would really like to walk up to the tailor and be like "Hey Styleforum, you know?--Yeah please give me that type of cut/tailoring job please"

Are there any real professionals who can spot with their eye what is wrong when I wear a suit. The professionals in here can spot it from clearly lit photos, shouldn't it be easier in person?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  12. swolfod

swolfod Well-Known Member

I am honestly curious, what the heck is "styleforum approved" dress code?

13. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Senior member

14. 2Scoops

2Scoops Senior member

Got back my mtm Samuelsohn:
    I think the vest is too short.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

^ ^ ^
    What model Samuelsohn did you go with for your MTM? Did you ask for a shorter jacket?

16. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

The shirt sleeves are a bit long but the cuff circumference is a touch large also. If you move the cuff button to reduce the cuff size this will prevent the shirt sleeves from extending so far on your hand. The jackets both have balance issues that aren't easy to correct. The fronts are short and the back long. The long back balance is why the vent doesn't hang vertical and closed . If you lift the back up at the center seam just under the collar you will see how the vent will straighten out. The jacket could be reduced at the sides to give some shape and the blades on the back could be taken in. Working on the blades means opening the sleeves and that raises the time required to alter and the price. Button position seems too high on these jackets. Your right shoulder is low. Have you tried any other brands to know if you can get a better fit that requires less alterations?

17. Despos

Yes the vest is too short and I wouldn't wear a belt when you wear the vest. You can actually make the vest longer by replacing the back lining. Cutting the back longer over the shoulder to drop the fronts down. I like the bottom button of the vest to be on the seam where the waistband is sewn to the trouser.

18. Despos

But what if Styleforum specifications aren't right for your body type?

Urban Composition and others live in your area and are happy with their tailors.

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Hi, thanks very much!! I have tried on a few other brands, but most are too wide in the shoulders I feel. Wearing a 36S is hard enough, but some of the 36S have 17-18" shoulders. The two jackets I took pictures of have under 17" shoulders which is why I bought them. I have tried on Ralph Lauren Black Label which I felt fit the best but out of my price range at the time.

I guess I will get rid of the two Black Fleece I just bought and try to find s different brand. Thanks!

20. Despos

the 40 appears to pull over the chest and the collar fit looks snug. It's really about your preference of fit and tolerance for a close fit. If the shirt is uncomfortable then size up and have the waist taken in and sleeves shortened.