• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Thurl

Reaction score
Recently discovered this forum and love the thread. I have devoured all 30 pages yesterday and took some pictures today. Would love your feedback on the fit.

Suit is a RTW Corneliani size EU 48 (US 38R) the shirt is MTM.

slipperman

Reaction score
Okay, here's mine. Recently bought a HF in 38R and would appreciate any feedback. Please excuse the unfinished pant hem and that freaking khakis I didn't notice until now..

First, do you think the armholes are okay? It seemed a bit lower than what I would have liked. Also, the leg opening once hemmed looks to be about 8" which is fine, but for some reason the pants feel much roomier than other pants I have with the same size leg opening. Again, any feedback is much appreciated. Cheers.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Picked up a suit from Uniqlo +J,size small. I get some extreme hourglass flare. Fixable, return, or see if XS is available?
I will be going to the tailor on Thursday if it is salvageable. I know the sleeves need to be shortened and the pants hemmed. They're currently just cuffed inward.

cjIgd.jpg
GJVH6.jpg
2vNzR.jpg

Shoulders/chest okay? I will try to reshoot photos tomorrow if these are too lousy.

Last edited:

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a little background: in 2009 I got a 3-piece suit from a MTM outfit. After a few alterations, I deemed the result wearable, though it had some problems. See the discussion in an old SF thread.

Last year I got a new suit from the same MTM outfit, trying to improve on the first one. The result is not bad, but there are still one or two problems.

(click on a picture to enlarge)

Here is the way the jacket looks when I am moving.

I am considering ordering a third suit in 2012, with a couple changes still.
  1. I think the waistcoat needs to be a bit longer still.
  2. There is some pulling at the front of the jacket and the lapels gape a little. I am not sure how to correct this in the newt jacket, or indeed if it is possible to correct it. An obvious choice would be to ask for a roomier jacket, but I like the way this one fits when I am standing. What do you think: ask for a lower button stance? Switch to a 3-button jacket?

crisp24

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks to help from a few sf members I have been able to purchase a few new suits lately. I was hoping to get some more feedback on fit before I take it to the tailor for alterations. Please don't mind the terrible shirt tie combination, I am in the process of moving in.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The sleeves will need to be lengthened slightly, and the back looks quite messy. I would appreciate any advice regarding what to ask for when having the back cleaned up.

Thanks in advance.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't come here asking for feedback on this particular outfit - I'd like to ask if there is something that can be done to correct the numerous flaws here because I get them on everything. In particular, the thighs on my pants always look like this, even on MTM, no matter how long they are or what they are made of, and it's driving me nuts. Also, the jacket seems to exaggerate my pear shaped figure, and it's the same with every OTR jacket I try on... anything I should look for in upcoming purchases to hide it? (like wider shoulders/lapels, fuller cut, etc.)

This outfit is following my body shape quite closely.

Thank you!

Last edited:

poissa

Reaction score
Hey all. Sorry for clogging the thread. I haven't received a response. I wanted to hear if I can make the coal coat fit.

I took another shot at finding suits. There's certainly a pattern here with my shoulders causing problems as you'll see below. This is a a charcoal suit, Isaia for Saks.
It is a 48R... If anyone has suggestions for suit makers to consider that would work better for my body - you will be dearly loved!

On to the pics:
Good ole' 'coal

[/quote]

p.s. Is there a specific place on the suit label that confirms Isaia's collaboration? I don't want to take a sales associate's word for it - since he might be mistakenly telling me these suits fit as well...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broad, square shoulders with erect posture? If so, some suits will fit better than others, but probably nothing will fit well without tailoring.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to convert 3 button suit into 2-1/2 just by ironing?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it possible to convert 3 button suit into 2-1/2 just by ironing?

No, not really. The roll line of the lapel is determined by the cut of the collar and the structure of the canvas and edge-tape inside the coat. You may be able to force it down but it will not be the same as if it rolled to 2-1/2 to begin with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads