The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

not too bad a fit. shorten the sleeves. hem the trousers are they at your waist or on your hips. wear a belt when being fitted.
    there is not much detail in the picture but there may be too much length at the top of the back.. or are you standing at attention?
    check the tutorials see, balance explained.

the blow ups show some excess length on the upper back.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. a tailor

you dont have a belt on so the pant may have slipped down on your hips instead of on your waist. always wear the belt when fitting the pants.
    from the back view the jacket looks a little long. i think here you were standing at attention.

the armhole is a moot point because we cant change the depth.

3. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Great thread!

I recently got a Burberry Brit coat in sale.
    I know it doesn't fit properly and want to get it altered when I go to the UK the next time.
    Before I take it with me and waste space in my bag though, I wanted to ask your opinion on it.

Alterations I thought of are slimming the coat (ie removing excess fabric from the middle of the back) and shortening the sleeves.
    Can this be done and what range could I expect to be charged.
    Also are there any other alterations you think necessary?

Thank you in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. a tailor

chron , your pictures dont show any detail its mostly just black.
    but it does look too big through the lower body how are the shoulders comfortable?
    the center back usually does not have a seam to work with.
    that means the sides would be taken in. that usually means the back stays loose.
    sleeves to shorten, yes. thats about the only thing that will work well.
    dont know what the brits would charge,

why haul it over there and back? there are tailors here too.

5. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Senior member

Hi all

first, thanks for this thread and the opportunity.

I have two suits made by different MTM outfits and want to order new suits and I'm looking for suggestions what could be improved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sleeve length has already been changed twice in the past ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your input. Oh, and sorry for the absence of shoes, tie and the odd colour of my head.

6. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

I know, sorry about the quality, maybe I can try to do better photos outside.

As far as I can tell the center of the back does have a seam, as well as both sides.
    So this should make it possible to remove fabric there?

Regarding hauling it over, I am living in Austria and didn't have very good experience with the tailors in my town, yet.
    Therefore I decided to bring it along since I go to the UK anyway.

EDIT: I hope these help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]]

7. a tailor

p.s. Is there a specific place on the suit label that confirms Isaia's collaboration? I don't want to take a sales associate's word for it - since he might be mistakenly telling me these suits fit as well...[/quote]

the photo shows that the blades need to be taken in . the shoulders may be too wide for you, but i cant see inside the coat, so you would have to tell me. i dont know who makes a narrower shoulder.
    but you have a right low shoulder, but that will be there on any coat.

the label it self says that isaia made the suit for saks.

8. v8 muscle

v8 muscle Member

Picked up this Banana Republic blazer on a mega sale for $17 bucks. The fit isnt bad but I was thinking it could use some tailoring on the sides or something. Its 100% wool and the quality is decent so I figure getting it tailored would be worthwhile. Its a 3 button blazer but I think i'd probably wear it as a two button and leave the top and bottom buttons undone.

thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    two buttons:
    [​IMG]

9. a tailor

the front looks pretty good. you have a right low shoulder .
    the seat area needs to be let out.
    the blades could come in slightly.
    you have erect posture. that means the top of the back needs to be shortened.

10. Suitstyler

Suitstyler Active Member

It looks like what you thought was a tailor is actually a retailo that is not retailoring. That is likely as it looks like you bought the garment on sale. Whether you did or not. If you want to look like the suit cost $2000 or more....
    1) ERect the jacket back ( shorted to reduce the wrinkles)
    2) erect the sleeves to take out the wrinkles
    3) let out the back for the creases on the sleeve head.

Next time buy a mtm over the web $600 and ask for a 3/4 erect suit with your same measurements.

11. matt1985

matt1985 Senior member

Hi everyone, I recently purchased my first blazer. I bought it blindly off ebay and just wanted some thoughts on the fit. It's a size 38R, the measurements that were listed were pretty close. If anything the waist feels a little loose? If it's no good, i'll be sure to go in store to try on blazers for my next purchase. Sorry for the crappy photos, Thank you all for your opinions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Apologize if this has been covered, but wasn't sure how to effectively search the thread for this; questions for you guys:

In the past, GQ has noted that one of their tailoring tricks is to narrow suit jacket sleeves to imply a better fit, etc. Has anyone had luck with this/ happy with the result?

When i took my latest suit to the tailor in new york, they instinctively narrowed the trousers a bit. I didn't protest, seemed fine to me-- but what might this achieve for me?

Would these two options help this and other zegnamilano suits? I feel like it is far too boxy and not nearly a good fitted look, but really dont' think i can drop down to a size 38reg and fit my shoulders/ chest correctly.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This one is my favorite purple label suit, thinking i might have the tailor narrow the trousers just slightly ? thoughts?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Can I get a critique on this? Looks fairly clean for OTR to me. Does the soft shoulder work on me? There's no padding at all. Unconstructed.

I'm thinking the fit is okay, but the button stance sucks. (Too high) It's a shame because I'm digging the tan glen plaid.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  14. Suitstyler

Suitstyler Active Member

Hi Matt, Your sleeves need to be reduced. This will also clean up the wrinkle on your right sleeve and back of both shoulders.

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

Picked up this +j suit. Slim fit size large. Should I have gone with a regular fit medium? or even a slim fit medium? Ignore the pants they fit perfectly, they just need to be hemmed. The jacket clearly needs the sleeves shortened, but I'm not sure want to do with the rest of it, seems a little full or too long in the lower block? It fits me well through the shoulders without being constricting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]