The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Thurl

Thurl New Member

Recently discovered this forum and love the thread. I have devoured all 30 pages yesterday and took some pictures today. Would love your feedback on the fit.

Suit is a RTW Corneliani size EU 48 (US 38R) the shirt is MTM.

[​IMG]

2. slipperman

slipperman Member

Okay, here's mine. Recently bought a HF in 38R and would appreciate any feedback. Please excuse the unfinished pant hem and that freaking khakis I didn't notice until now..

First, do you think the armholes are okay? It seemed a bit lower than what I would have liked. Also, the leg opening once hemmed looks to be about 8" which is fine, but for some reason the pants feel much roomier than other pants I have with the same size leg opening. Again, any feedback is much appreciated. Cheers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Hey guys,

Picked up a suit from Uniqlo +J,size small. I get some extreme hourglass flare. Fixable, return, or see if XS is available?
    I will be going to the tailor on Thursday if it is salvageable. I know the sleeves need to be shortened and the pants hemmed. They're currently just cuffed inward.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shoulders/chest okay? I will try to reshoot photos tomorrow if these are too lousy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  4. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

Here is a little background: in 2009 I got a 3-piece suit from a MTM outfit. After a few alterations, I deemed the result wearable, though it had some problems. See the discussion in an old SF thread.

Last year I got a new suit from the same MTM outfit, trying to improve on the first one. The result is not bad, but there are still one or two problems.

(click on a picture to enlarge)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the way the jacket looks when I am moving.
    [​IMG]

I am considering ordering a third suit in 2012, with a couple changes still.
    1. I think the waistcoat needs to be a bit longer still.
    2. There is some pulling at the front of the jacket and the lapels gape a little. I am not sure how to correct this in the newt jacket, or indeed if it is possible to correct it. An obvious choice would be to ask for a roomier jacket, but I like the way this one fits when I am standing. What do you think: ask for a lower button stance? Switch to a 3-button jacket?

5. crisp24

crisp24 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Thanks to help from a few sf members I have been able to purchase a few new suits lately. I was hoping to get some more feedback on fit before I take it to the tailor for alterations. Please don't mind the terrible shirt tie combination, I am in the process of moving in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sleeves will need to be lengthened slightly, and the back looks quite messy. I would appreciate any advice regarding what to ask for when having the back cleaned up.

Thanks in advance.

6. leftwing37

leftwing37 Member

possible to get a 44 sports coat altered to fit a 40-42?

7. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

No

8. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I don't come here asking for feedback on this particular outfit - I'd like to ask if there is something that can be done to correct the numerous flaws here because I get them on everything. In particular, the thighs on my pants always look like this, even on MTM, no matter how long they are or what they are made of, and it's driving me nuts. Also, the jacket seems to exaggerate my pear shaped figure, and it's the same with every OTR jacket I try on... anything I should look for in upcoming purchases to hide it? (like wider shoulders/lapels, fuller cut, etc.)

This outfit is following my body shape quite closely.

Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  9. Laser

Laser Member

Jacket sleeves probably need to be shortened. Anything else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Laser

Laser Member

Just got this overcoat. I'm wearing it over my suit jacket like I would outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Kunza

Kunza New Member

You can only get .5 an inch taken off and only if its a center vent. So its a No with one exception.

12. poissa

poissa Senior member

Hey all. Sorry for clogging the thread. I haven't received a response. I wanted to hear if I can make the coal coat fit.

I took another shot at finding suits. There's certainly a pattern here with my shoulders causing problems as you'll see below. This is a a charcoal suit, Isaia for Saks.
    It is a 48R... If anyone has suggestions for suit makers to consider that would work better for my body - you will be dearly loved!

On to the pics:
    Good ole' 'coal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/quote]

p.s. Is there a specific place on the suit label that confirms Isaia's collaboration? I don't want to take a sales associate's word for it - since he might be mistakenly telling me these suits fit as well...

13. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Broad, square shoulders with erect posture? If so, some suits will fit better than others, but probably nothing will fit well without tailoring.

14. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Is it possible to convert 3 button suit into 2-1/2 just by ironing?

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

No, not really. The roll line of the lapel is determined by the cut of the collar and the structure of the canvas and edge-tape inside the coat. You may be able to force it down but it will not be the same as if it rolled to 2-1/2 to begin with.