• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Despos -
Just to be clear, if I have my tailor let out the taper by an inch, would he still need to shorten the front hem by 1/2-3/4 an inch?
Also just to add, what if the pants don't have any more fabric left to be let out by an inch, what's the best course of action then?
As for the button moving - I also assume that I would just only need to move the top button up right? The bottom button doesn't get button so it's fine as is? Also, how much upper should it be moved, 1 cm?

Bump, open to any experts to answer. I will be going to my tailor in about an hour and a half.]

Thanks gentlemen.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Hey all. Two new trousers came (first pair of nice clothes I've ordered) and both are pretty tight in the thighs, with one being tight in the whole upper block. I wanted to know if it was possible to have them altered to something that would better fit my legs or if they were beyond repair and if I should send them back.

The first is the Walt Brown Houndstooth Trouser from Epaulet: (I don't know why the second pick is going horizontal, apologies).

The second is a pair of Glenn Plaid Trousers from Howard Yount:

For some reason both are making the second photo horizontal, I don't know why. The second are the pair that I feel are too tight in the entire upper block.

Thanks!

bnovc

Reaction score
I posted these pictures a few weeks ago to the ModernTailor thread, but I didn't hear anything and would appreciate some feedback before I order another shirt.

I feel like the sleeves are long enough in the picture, but when I wear them with a jacket, they don't stay down. Perhaps because the material is so flimsy?

Thanks for any feedback.

JBG89

Reaction score
Despos - any chance you could spare some advice?

Hello All noob here,
I have a non-standard body size (in terms of suit makes) and wanted to get a few thoughts on this OTR suit I picked up. I'm somewhere between a 37 short and long and may end up going the MTM route with suit supply.
I picked up this suit here for around 300 on sale/employee discount and am thinking if I should go the MTM route which will cost about $500. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
*Additionally, I've worn this suit several times before so it may not look as pristine as if it was new

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

when I wear them with a jacket, they don't stay down

It may be that the armhole on the jacket is smaller than the armhole of the shirt, causing the jacket to pull up the sleeves when you wear it.

g-banger

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just purchased a OTR suit - i personally like the fit of the suit, when i tried the size up it was very very big. The suit is slim fitting.

appreciate your feedback - btw apologies for my charcoal trousers, the suit pants need to be tailored.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey all. Two new trousers came (first pair of nice clothes I've ordered) and both are pretty tight in the thighs, with one being tight in the whole upper block. I wanted to know if it was possible to have them altered to something that would better fit my legs or if they were beyond repair and if I should send them back.

The first is the Walt Brown Houndstooth Trouser from Epaulet: (I don't know why the second pick is going horizontal, apologies).

The second is a pair of Glenn Plaid Trousers from Howard Yount:

For some reason both are making the second photo horizontal, I don't know why. The second are the pair that I feel are too tight in the entire upper block.

Thanks!

These need the seat and crotch let out but may not have enough outlet. Try sizing up. You want to fit your largest area, your seat, and have the waist taken in

mnlgrind

Reaction score
Hello SF!

I've been learning a lot from reading the threads here and I guess it is time for me to contribute. I have two custom made suits and both have different fits I would like to get some constructive feedback on how to go about altering it and for future purchases. I'm 6'0 and a size 52. I would really appreciate you comments and suggestions on these fit pics. Many thanks guys! Cheers! :)

Suit #1: Its a standard black suit, I like the fit of the suit overall, I would prefer the pants to be a bit tapered though . I don't know what happened but it seems like the suit and the pant color do not match, is it the lighting?.

Suit #2: I apologize for not being able to press my suit. This suit fits and feels bigger than #1, I feel that it can be altered in the torso area to for a slimmer silhouette. The pants are a bit tapered compared to pants of suit #1. After taking the fit pics, I also noticed that my lower right shoulder is very much evident in these pictures which adds to the awkwardness in fit pics?. Lastly, I wanted to have a slimmer cut for this suit but then it might not fit well with my body type being a bit hefty in the torso area? Your thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks again!

cogent

Reaction score
Your left leg is back some; may cause cloth is press against leg; then again maybe circumference around left thigh is too large

Notatinyman

Reaction score
6' 2" 255 lbs (from 340)

Starting to move away from typical fat guy wardrobe of tshirt and baggy jeans.

This is my best fitting shirt. Does it fit? What can be improved or changed? (ignore the pit stains)

Michaelli86

Reaction score
I personally think the suit fits you perfectly. Maybe take some pictures with shoes so we can see if the pants are of proper length?

Michaelli86

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just purchased a OTR suit - i personally like the fit of the suit, when i tried the size up it was very very big. The suit is slim fitting.
appreciate your feedback - btw apologies for my charcoal trousers, the suit pants need to be tailored.

I personally think the suit fits you perfectly. Maybe take some pictures with shoes so we can see if the pants are of proper length?

Michaelli86

Reaction score
The black suit fits really well. With the gray suit, you there is plenty of material that can be taken in at the waist.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It may be that the armhole on the jacket is smaller than the armhole of the shirt, causing the jacket to pull up the sleeves when you wear it.

right on s b.
i see that you remembered that one.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello SF!

I've been learning a lot from reading the threads here and I guess it is time for me to contribute. I have two custom made suits and both have different fits I would like to get some constructive feedback on how to go about altering it and for future purchases. I'm 6'0 and a size 52. I would really appreciate you comments and suggestions on these fit pics. Many thanks guys! Cheers! :) 

Suit #1: Its a standard black suit, I  like the fit of the suit overall, I would prefer the pants to be a bit tapered though . I don't know what happened but it seems like the suit and the pant color do not match, is it the lighting?. 

Suit #2: I apologize for not being able to press my suit. This suit fits and feels bigger than #1, I feel that it can be altered in the torso area to for a slimmer silhouette. The pants are a bit tapered compared to pants of suit #1. After taking the fit pics, I also noticed that my lower right shoulder is very much evident in these pictures which adds to the awkwardness in fit pics?. Lastly, I wanted to have a slimmer cut for this suit but then it might not fit well with my body type being a bit hefty in the torso area? Your thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks again!

both suits suffer the same balance pr0blem a short front. see how the front pulls up, and the back has excess length.
its major surgery. you cant lengthen the front, there is no cloth. the back must be shortened so much that it becomes shorter than the front.
but the coat may become too short. a chance to take.
you might consult the tutorials "balance explained".
the brown may work out better, but does need to be taken in.
are these really custom made or, made to measure?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads