• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey gents, need advise on two more suits: The navy one is the Benjamin Classico suit from ehaberdasher.com here on this forum.  This suit is nicer than the Saks 5th I purchased a few weeks ago, which will be returned.  The second suit is from CK.  I picked it up for >$200 for a few summer weddings.  I will likely get this suit altered to test out a tailor before having the navy suit tailored.  As always, thanks in advance!  PS: Sorry about the funky color - can't believe it's almost Nov.

Both suits have short front balance due to your erect posture. Dark suit has more shape through the body. Tan suit is boxy and the shoulders are wide. Both have a roll under the collar due to your shoulder blades. The tailor may want to lower the collar but has to do so carefully. Best but most expensive is to shorten the back at the shoulders to adjust for your posture and make the shoulder with more fullness over your blades. Takes a coat maker's skill and expertise and may run into big bucks. Might have trouble finding someone to do that type of alteration.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi all,

I went to Indochino's traveling tailor when they came to SF and let them take my measurements, so this is the result. I took is to a tailor and he said the jacket is a size to small for me. I know the sleeve length is a little short too. I feel like I need to bring out the shoulders more, and I don't know if its just me, but it looks kind of funny when buttoned.

Does anyone have any recommendations on measurements to change for:

Jacket Length?
Chest Size?
Stomach Size?
Shoulder Size?

I was going to add 0.5" to the sleeve length.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

on the coat length add 1 and 1/4"
the sleeves length its hard to say because the shirt sleeves are too long.
go to the tutorials scroll down to sleeves.
the shoulders add 1/2" each side.
the chest add 2" in the circumference.
the waist add 4" " " ".
the seat add 4" " " ".
more of the cloth distributed to the right than the left.

you have a right low shoulder, check the tutorials for information on
how to measure the amount.

do you realize that you need to have a new jacket to be cut for you.
on the trouser
you have a right high hip, tutorials again for info on how to measure.

please dont flap your arms, it only proves that you cant fly.

Last edited:

kanedamike

Reaction score
Thanks a tailor! This is very helpful. I appreciate your response.

I took the suit to a tailor and he did tell me I would have to get a new one and that I would have to extend the length of the sleeves by about 0.5". He didn't give me measurement adjustments on other items though. He just told me to get a bigger suit.

I'll remember not to flap my arms for the next one!

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this sportcoat from a forum member who gave me a sweeeeet deal. I think it works well, but I don't want to be blinded by the deal. What say you, tailor thread?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The boxy shape is an easy fix. Go get it modified by a tailor. Don't know about how to fix the shortness.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
on the coat length add 1 and 1/4"
the sleeves length its hard to say because the shirt sleeves are too long.
go to the tutorials scroll down to sleeves.
the shoulders add 1/2" each side.
the chest add 2" in the circumference.
the waist add 4" " " ".
the seat add 4" " " ".
more of the cloth distributed to the right than the left.
you have a right low shoulder, check the tutorials for information on
how to measure the amount.
do you realize that you need to have a new jacket to be cut for you.
on the trouser
you have a right high hip, tutorials again for info on how to measure.
please dont flap your arms, it only proves that you cant fly.

HOLY. ****.

All that from one picture?!?

worship2.gif

[EDIT]: Sorry for the double post. I sort of forgot that I had just posted. I was just really impressed.

Last edited:

Ardee

Reaction score
Hi folks, here's my first post for these forums:

A bespoke dinner suit I thrifted some time ago for my senior prom. Had it altered slightly to fit, but I still think it needs let out at the skirt, the non-vented back isn't used to my butt-size (family inheritance...).
I'm not very trim, but I'm not burly, Freshman 15 has not been kind to me...

It suffers from some 80s fads (tag says '89), like the double reverse pleats, which I don't mind, and the cringe-worthy low-buttoning stance and I'm wondering if I could have it doctored by having the button hole unraveled and rewoven via inweaving method, and have it raised half an inch to make this a more timeless piece.

The pants are ballooning because they weren't pressed too well. Fixed that though. I barreled my cuff too, I find it more comfy as the OTR shirt I'm wearing suffers from having enlarged double cuffs as many others, and the sleeve opening for the coat is rather narrow. Also, need me some proper evening braces.

Last edited:

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The boxy shape is an easy fix. Go get it modified by a tailor. Don't know about how to fix the shortness.

I think the shortness contributes significantly to the boxy look of the jacket. So I don't think it will help much if you take in the waist to get it more shaped. Also, it look a little bit tight over the hips - the back vent looks like it's fairly open and the quarters are pulling open as well.

danis

Reaction score
Hi guys, can I get some opinions on this suit. I think its a little too long, and sleeves could be a tad shorter?

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple quick questions and sorry for the photos, I had some random stranger take them for me with my phone. One, does anyone have any idea what's going on here with the folds in the crotch?

And two, what should I be telling my tailor to look for when cleaning up the back. I'm going to be dropping them off later this week, so thought I'd get some feedback first.

Could the seat be taken in, along with the fork (and is that what's causing the weird folds of fabric in the front?

Thanks!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi a tailor, for adding 4" to the seat, did you mean to the seat of the jacket or the seat of the trousers?

the seat of the jacket.
all of this would going to a whole new size jacket pattern.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads