• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

jpc9

Reaction score
Quote: I don't think it looks too big, though it's hard to tell from this photo. Perhaps the shoulders are a bit wide, but a profile shot would better help determine this.

Visually, the wide peak lapel gives the impression (at least in this photo) that the jacket is bigger. I have smallish shoulders too - 36R jacket, 16.5-16.75 shoulder seam to seam is best for me - and I normally eschew peak lapels because of what I perceive as imbalance, though this is a matter of personal preference.

RE: the wrinkles at the side - has this jacket been properly pressed? If so, then cleaning up those "wrinkles" is a pretty easy job for a tailor.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So I was really excited to find out that suitsupply sold size 35's - I have really narrow shoulders and have not found a good suit OTR that fits me in the shoulders except for H&M. This is SS's slimmest cut in their smaller size, and it's either this or nothing for me so I'm biased, but I'd like a neutral opinion. How does it look? And should i keep it?

My thoughts/notes:

I'd shorten it by about 1" (I'm 5'7") but I'm afraid it would throw off the balance with the pockets. Sleeves are long too.

Lapels are a bit wide but i've always preferred peak so i could probably get used to it.

also i just realized this, but the shirt I wore under this jacket had its sleeves folded up which explains why there's something weird going on in the middle of both sleeves...

no dont shorten it.
but it is much too tight in the hips.
and the sleeves should be shortened.
side and back views would be helpful.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PHOBOS

your pictures do not give us any details there is just black blotches.
try some better lighting to get some detail.
only one thing shows is that you have an erect posture.
that should have been cut for.
also a right low shoulder that should have been cut for.
if you wish to understand these things., check the tutorials.

the shirt is not custom its m2m.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just received Indochino suit (blue sharkskin) and shirt and would like some feedback.  I went to one of their traveling tailor events and left the measurements up to them.

The Shirt:

LL

Body fits nicely, but the shoulders seem to lack some mobility.  I don't know if it's the armholes that are too high or the shoulders are too narrow, but when I move it does feel like I'm stretching the shirt a bit.  Also, are the sleeves too wide?  more specially around the elbow and forearm area.

The Suit: I asked for lower button stance, but it appears that request was ignored...probably not a big deal.

My concerns on the suit:
-The collar appears too high and doesn't show much shirt collar.  How can this be fixed?
-From the front, is the waist too tight?  It's definitely pretty close to the body and you can see slight wrinkle at the top button
-From the back, does the yolk and waist look too tight?  There are slight wrinkles there.
-Anything else?

Pants: Any comments?  The pictures make it look like the pants ride **********, but it really didn't feel that way with them on.

I would also like to know if your observations would require a remake or a simple trip to the tailor.

Overall, this did come out better than I expected given its price point.

Thanks, SF.

first of all, put your arms down. you aint gona fly.
the whole chest area looks too tight.
the cuff circumference should be smaller.,
so that the cuffs will not slid down below the heel of the thumb.

if you lower the collar, there will be other problems.
unless the back can be shortened at the top. and that may help the collar to come down.
there is no yoke on the coat???
your pictures give us very little to work on. we need side and back.
the detail is not clear. there is just a solid black shape. better lighting?
also larger pictures?

Last edited:

charliebrown2

Reaction score
first of all, put your arms down. you aint gona fly.
the whole chest area looks too tight.
the cuff circumference should be smaller.,
so that the cuffs will not slid down below the heel of the thumb.
if you lower the collar, there will be other problems.
unless the back can be shortened at the top. and that may help the collar to come down.
there is no yoke on the coat???
your pictures give us very little to work on. we need side and back.
the detail is not clear. there is just a solid black shape. better lighting?
also larger pictures?

I put more pics under spoiler tags (or have you seen those already?) Thanks!

yeeth

Reaction score

no dont shorten it.
but it is much too tight in the hips.
and the sleeves should be shortened.
side and back views would be helpful.

more pictures (this time with no undershirt but not wearing a proper dress shirt). does the length/shoulder width look ok now? what about the lapels?

front:

side:

thanks!

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeeth, the wrinkles and pulling on the right side of the jacket are from your low right shoulder. Jacket is pulling a little from the vents still being tacked closed. The shoulders are a little wide.
These pictures show the jacket more clearly but pictures from a distance and full length shots, no jeans and proper shirt to assess the length.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Wondering if anything could be done to improve the fit on these RTW trousers? They seem a bit tight around the lower abdomen area (waist is fine), but a size bigger leaves the seat too roomy. The drape from the back is a bit messed up, too.

Don't worry about the length, I like no break on cuffed pants and I can always wear them just a little bit lower :)

Thank you.

Last edited:

filmguy

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just graduated from college and I'm purchasing my first "real suit." I found this Hickey Freeman at a good price. It's a 40S. Is the fit correct on the shoulders or is it slightly off? Thanks so much!

ZirconiumZephyr

Reaction score
looking to get some opinions of fit again.

This is a rather shoddy fused fashion brand suit (Saba) but I'm just looking to get the fit tweaked so I have a better reference suit.

I'm not to worried about the waist at the back, thing that might just need straigtening out.

There seems to be a bit of extra fabric rippling under the collar (this means collar needs to come down right?

Also, can anyone comment on the shoulders, the feel snug but have that odd indent at the top.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just had a fantastic alterations experience...previously I had gone to a regular tailor to get stuff altered and wasn't super happy with the result (not displeased). A friend who spends a lot of money on clothes (which says nothing about his taste, only that recommendations he makes aren't constrained by price) suggested I go to his tailor who just does alterations and nothing else.

So I haven't gotten the jackets back...I just dropped them off an hour ago, so I'll be posting here in two weeks...but am really happy with the confidence these people exuded when dealing with me. Mind you, I had to speak in Korean (which I can barely do), but they had no qualms basically treating me as a mannequin, lifting my arms, moving me around, etc, as they needed to do their job.

Don't know about the price though. Brought in two jackets, one needing some major work (hence the decision to try to upgrade tailors for alterations) and the other re-lining. The alterations being made:
the Hugo Boss (houndstooth, so hopefully that will hide any unevenness if there is any):
Waist suppression
Convert padded shoulders into soft shoulders
Lengthen the sleeves
Narrow the sleeves
Take the shoulders in

Random vintage canvas suit I got from capnwes:
New lining (rayon)
New buttons

They initially wanted about $220 dollars (250,000 won), but at showing reluctance in getting the jacket re-lined (after they had already cut it up a bit to see the contstruction), they went down to around $185.

So assuming they live up to their reputation, is $185 within the range of reasonable for the work I am having done?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey all, 

I just graduated from college and I'm purchasing my first "real suit." I found this Hickey Freeman at a good price. It's a 40S. Is the fit correct on the shoulders or is it slightly off? Thanks so much!

Looks huge in the shoulders. Congratulations on your graduation and good luck!

looking to get some opinions of fit again.

This is a rather shoddy fused fashion brand suit (Saba) but I'm just looking to get the fit tweaked so I have a better reference suit.

I'm not to worried about the waist at the back, thing that might just need straigtening out.

There seems to be a bit of extra fabric rippling under the collar (this means collar needs to come down right?

Also, can anyone comment on the shoulders, the feel snug but have that odd indent at the top.

You should worry about all of it. Shoulders look to have crazy extension, chest is too small causing lapels to bow, and it doesn't fit at the waist.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should worry about all of it. Shoulders look to have crazy extension, chest is too small causing lapels to bow, and it doesn't fit at the waist.

How can you tell when the lapels are blowing?

What does 'crazy extension' in the shoulders mean?

Do you mean his suit is too loose in the waist?

I am not questioning what you have said, I am trying to understand what you have said.

bemow

Reaction score
Hello guys
Could you please suggest which alterations should I make to this suit?
What about the sleeve and trousers length?
I'm undergrad senior looking for job, so this suit is for interviews.
And what do you think about the tie?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads