• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Solarhaphaeriom,
Have the hips let out from just under the arms to the hem on the side seams to see how much it will help the vent issue. If you have the vent closed they still need to let it out on the side seams. When they open the jacket, ask the tailor if they cut the center seam outlet right above the vent and hope that they didn't. Shortening won't help in any way. Until you know how doing this helps, no need to worry about other things yet.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A Prada blazer from Spoo. Sleeves clearly too long and bumpy shoulders could be pressed smooth, I think. Otherwise? I look to you humbly, o masters of cloth, for guidance.

F5BAC277-E008-4F7E-A997-6BFB80218DD1-41589-00004752FB7FEA90.jpg

FF9A8DF7-FF20-45C0-9B30-54DEE2BCDB3E-41589-0000475306D2A7B8.jpg

986B26C5-C90C-4325-B4AA-A360A6E26DF5-41589-00004753007DC734.jpg

132F8BC2-0B7D-49CD-8543-609A3C82650B-41589-000047530E8F6F70.jpg

EA825E2B-7684-41FD-BD2B-94567BED92BE-41589-00004752F6DF7C32.jpg

Jacket is too big and a little long for you. Pressing will have no effect on the shoulders. Correcting the bumps in the shoulders is very, very difficult and expensive.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is the button stance on this suit too high? I prefer it about 0.75"-1" lower (comparable to the button stance of JCrew Ludlow suits). Can I get some comments on the fit and in particular, the button position?

need better pictures

Reaction score

Solarhaphaeriom,
Have the hips let out from just under the arms to the hem on the side seams to see how much it will help the vent issue. If you have the vent closed they still need to let it out on the side seams. When they open the jacket, ask the tailor if they cut the center seam outlet right above the vent and hope that they didn't. Shortening won't help in any way. Until you know how doing this helps, no need to worry about other things yet.

Thank you very much for the response. In my situation, should I take this to mean that I will have to find a local tailor to fix the cut of the original tailor (presumably at considerable cost)?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fix is dependent on the outlets available on the side and center seam so a trip to the tailor just to open the lining to see what is inside to work with is what you want to know first. You only posted a back view so if there are other contributing factors, we can't see them. This isn't a complicated or big deal alteration, minimal expense. Would cost more to ship it back to maker.

Last edited:

testchar

Reaction score
Hey,
Firstly i'd just like to say that this forum, and this thread in particular, have been extremely helpful. Thank you all so much for doing this!

I have a question about this suit i bought from j.crew on sale. it's the aldridge fit, which i guess is the roomier of the two. I was hoping you guys might have some thoughts about it. I know that i need to get the pants hemmed and the sleeves shortened a bit, but is the size right overall? As in, can the problems I have with this suit be rather easily fixed by a tailor, or would i be better off returning it? Personally I like it, but I would like some other opinions on it as well. I know i should take out the x's, not sure if i want to return it or not though. I hope the photos are adequate, I tried to follow the guidelines as best I could.

Here's a photo of a suit from tommy hilfiger that's about $150 less, it's a 38s whereas the j.crew one is a 38r. Is short a better otr length for me, or is the jacket in the j.crew photos a better length. don't care much about fashion, just want something conservative, that also fits me correctly. Thanks in Advance!

kwriley

Reaction score
Does any one know where I can find Alfani Red suit measurements/dimensions? I would like to compare my Indochino measurements to Alfani's.

MrTransistor

Reaction score
Just received a new Benjamin Classico suit and wanted to get the forum's thoughts before I take it to the tailor. I know that I need to shorten the sleeves and possibly rotate the right sleeve; what I can I do about the wrinkling in the back of the jacket and pants?

Thanks!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MrTransistor, doesn't look like that is the right size for you, it's too big

lawstudent2012

Reaction score
Hi!

I just tried this suit jacket on; it was a 54. I'm usually a 56. It was pretty snug (especially around the arms) but I liked the way it fit in the middle area... It was suggested that I go with the 56. I don't have a pic of the 56, but would love your comments on the fit of the 54 pictured below, if the pic is detailed enough for that.

Thanks!

MrTransistor

Reaction score
@Despos - I'm a really skinny guy! I measured a 36.5 chest / 30.5 waist, and was advised to get a 38R. Should I go 36R instead? (It feels like I have about 0.5-0.75" extra shoulder padding on each side.)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MrTransistor, yes, try 36. The trouser will look and fit better too

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi there!
I just have one question regarding my new suit, as I'm happy with the fit overall. I had the suit made by a (reputable) tailor in Singapore, with three muslin fittings while I was there. The suit was then completed without fittings in the final cloth and sent to me. I decided to try a single vent (for the first time), which may have been a poor choice (note that these aren't the suit pants, so no need to critique their fit. I will try to get better pictures tonight.):

Obviously the vent flares open significantly when the jacket is buttoned, which looks pretty awful (to me at least). When the jacket is open it's not so noticeable, but I suspect that it'll still happen when I move my arms (plus I'd like to be able to close my jacket...). Since I'm now in a different country I sadly don't have the option of going back to have this fixed.
I'm not very knowledgeable in terms of tailoring, but to me it seems that the strong waist suppression coupled with a long vent creates a pull at the end of the vent. So my question is what options I have at this point?. Based on some research I'm considering the following:
  1. Having the vent closed by a local tailor. I wouldn't particularly mind the jacket being ventless, as long as the fit was good. But I'm worried that the current problem would still manifest as a 'strained' ventless look.
  2. Making the vent closure a bit lower. If the closure was moved away from the waist suppression it might pull differently?
  3. Creating more room somehow. I imagine that this would be a major operation though, and require more cloth. Probably expensive to have someone else do it, and for the original tailor there would be shipping plus no option of me wearing it for fitting.
  4. There is a small crease on the left side of the vent (from shipping). To what extent might this be accentuating the problem? Though I think it's wishful thinking that fixing this would make the flaring stop.
Additionally, what would be proper etiquette regarding the original tailor? If I incur additional expenses fixing what I would consider a glaring flaw, would it be reasonable to request a reduction in the price of the suit? If additional fabric is required, would it be reasonable to request this? Or would it be considered my own problem, with no further obligation on their part? She seems to be ignoring my emails, but I can always call her up.
Thank you in advance.

first of all the coat is about 1 & 1/2 inches too short.
its far too tight and needs to be let out on each side
providing there is cloth available.
as to your considerations,
#1 no
#2 no
#3 yes
#4 no

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads