• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to confirm the Google Spreadsheet is still being updated and Suit Supply is still a 3.

Thanks.
Their Jort line is fully canvassed, which puts them at a 3 (Most of the brands in the 3 or good category are fully canvassed). I don't think it's a literal ranking, as all of the suits in the 3 range are interchangeable (mostly machine-made and fully canvassed with the only distinguishing factor being the fabrics used), which is why that line stays there. Their mainline stuff that is half-canvassed is in the 2 or satisfactory group.

RapFan

Reaction score
The problem with taking a pure analytical approach is that you don't get to actually feel the suits and realize why suit supply does not belong in that category. Not all canvassing is equal not all machine made suits are equal either, there's so much more that goes into them.

Anyone who's handled a Pal Zileri suit knows that is is leagues above the best that Suitsupply has to offer. It's not close at all

pomor

Reaction score
Their Jort line is fully canvassed, which puts them at a 3 (Most of the brands in the 3 or good category are fully canvassed). I don't think it's a literal ranking, as all of the suits in the 3 range are interchangeable (mostly machine-made and fully canvassed with the only distinguishing factor being the fabrics used), which is why that line stays there. Their mainline stuff that is half-canvassed is in the 2 or satisfactory group.

For what it's worth, Jort is now discontinued. SS's newest hirarchy is more confusing than it used to be now

AdaminPhilly

Reaction score
Exactly. The working guide here is out of date regarding Suit Supply. I am a bit new to this so sorry if I sound confusing. It appears they no longer have red or purple or any lines like that. Additionally some Lazio models are full, some are half canvassed. I would imagine their non MTM suits are still a 2 regardless of that. Although some of their full canvassed Lazio suits are 1,000 USD. For the half canvassed suits at a 600 USD price I think it's pretty good though. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway Reddit seems to love SS and they have moderate favorable reviews here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also sorry I don't know how to quote people on this forum without hitting reply, but I was replying to this.

you highlight the text you want quoted and when the little shadow box comes up, select “+quote”. Then click on the reply box and select “quote” at the bottom of the box.

AdaminPhilly

Reaction score
So I see this suit on ebay from Gieves and Hawks. The brand is ranked pretty respectably on the hierarchy for top Italian and British buy, but as a 0 for their regular brand. How do I tell what I am looking at?

This is the part of the guide the confuses me since many brands are listed twice, sometimes without a clear indication of how to differentiate.

Please don't steal this if it is good. Lol.

Anthonio

Reaction score
Guys, this thread never ceases to confuse me. The list is impossible to find.

At least, it would be if I didn't know where to find it on Reddit.

Here it is, by the way: The list on Google Drive

While I'm here -- the info on Brunello Cucinelli is pretty sparse. Does anybody actually know anything about their suiting? I'm thinking of heading to the sample sale tomorrow...
nice to see the latest progress on this styleforum-working-hierarchical-suit-quality-list, the updates are appreciated.

acconrad

Reaction score
I love my Isaia but the flannel fabric isn't cutting it for summer weddings. I'm looking for an ultra-versatile "one and done" 4 season suit.

Found solid navy suits by Attolini, Oxxford, Kiton, and Borrelli. I know Attolini and Kiton have the soft shoulder and will probably fit me best. The Oxxford is a steal but it's like a Drop 2 (can you tailor that down to a Drop 8 or will it ruin the suit?). I don't know much about Borrelli suit fits (but I love their shirts).

Recommendations?

RapFan

Reaction score
I love my Isaia but the flannel fabric isn't cutting it for summer weddings. I'm looking for an ultra-versatile "one and done" 4 season suit.

Found solid navy suits by Attolini, Oxxford, Kiton, and Borrelli. I know Attolini and Kiton have the soft shoulder and will probably fit me best. The Oxxford is a steal but it's like a Drop 2 (can you tailor that down to a Drop 8 or will it ruin the suit?). I don't know much about Borrelli suit fits (but I love their shirts).

Recommendations?

If you have the wallet for it a solid navy from Attolini would be my pick. Kiton is amazing but they're at their best when it's a fun suit. With Attolini you get soft shoulders and light construction but can still pass for a business suit.

acconrad

Reaction score
If you have the wallet for it a solid navy from Attolini would be my pick. Kiton is amazing but they're at their best when it's a fun suit. With Attolini you get soft shoulders and light construction but can still pass for a business suit.

Thinking about it! Can the boxiness of the Oxxford not make up for its quality? Can it not be altered?

noobanker

Reaction score

Recommendations?

Never tried Oxxford. The only Oxxfords I've seen available for sale at discounted prices online, gorge line is very low, lapel seems very 90s and that's if you can find anything at all.

I have a few sport coats from Attolini and they're incredible, very flattering cut, very comfortable and modern, yet classic without the excessively trendy design elements.

Kiton seems to vary a lot more in style and their newer sport coats have become very trendy in terms of cut and while there may be some more handwork, cut is far more important to me.

For cheaper and more readily accessible RTW brand that seemingly has a similar cut, I like the Ring Jacket. It's very Attolini-esque perhaps with the highest line offering a good amount of hand stitching. There may be subtle differences in the shoulder construction and finer details, which I'm oblivious to, but I love all the ring jacket suits/sport coats I have, just as I do Attolini's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads