• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

stylemeup

Reaction score
I know very little about suits, except for the fair amount that I've read about them on the sf and AA forums.

Based on what I've read, H&M and Boss do not belong in the "Mediocre" category.

They should instead be in a new category that is not yet on the list, with a name such as "Trash."

On a similar note, "Mediocre" and "Satisfactory" are synonyms. Having two categories named with words that mean the same thing makes no sense.

I would also move M. Valentino out of the category currently listed as "Mediocre." From what I've read, M. Valentino are much better than a lot of the trash that is currently listed in that category as if they are of equivalent quality.

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup, however there are some RLP that is not Corneliani - I think those would probably land a bit lower. RL Rugby is the same way - post 2011 Made in Italy is Caruso made should be [***]-[****], however pre 2011 most likely fit [**]-[***].
Where does Paul Stuart land in this? They have fantastic quality suits. I would think near RLBL..
Also Ozwald Boateng - been fascinated recently with his work in Saville Row - I would think his suits are *****

RL Rugby is nowhere near "very good." Mediocre maybe.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at some BB 1818 suits, are these worth $600?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me? No. For you? Maybe. But don't take my word, just go in and try them. If you like, buy. If not, run.

I understand they are half-canvased, their fabric comes from a mill in Italy and the suits are constructed in USA. They any good or are they on level with Hugo Boss?

Last edited:

Macallan

Reaction score

Also Ozwald Boateng - been fascinated recently with his work in Saville Row - I would think his suits are *****

Boateng did have several lines, probably still the same; hence, he cannot be put in one category.

House of Hanover, off Regent Street, used to stock his low-end range and shirts which would be long in the 'mediocre' list. There was a 'Bespoke Couture' line, which was his top-line RTW and there was another line too.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me? No. For you? Maybe. But don't take my word, just go in and try them. If you like, buy. If not, run.

What do you find unsatisfactory about them at this price point? Or are they unsatisfactory for you regardless of price? I own two that I've been extremely happy with, so I'm curious what your experience has been.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand they are half-canvased, their fabric comes from a mill in Italy and the suits are constructed in USA. They any good or are they on level with Hugo Boss?

To be totally transparent I have no experience with BB 1818 suits but when I'm getting PRL made in Italy suits for about $250-$350 this is a no-brainer for me. And please people, don't PM me regarding where I get them at this price. If you have teh urge you needs to lurk moar.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be totally transparent I have no experience with BB 1818 suits but when I'm getting PRL made in Italy suits for about $250-$350 this is a no-brainer for me. And please people, don't PM me regarding where I get them at this price. If you have teh urge you needs to lurk moar.

Do you get staple navy suits a that price? :confused:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have actually got a signature (Jerome) suit NWT at that price. It was advertised as black but was actually a navy nailhead. I don't like solid suits but this one you couldn't tell it was patterned until you were about to hug me.

There are others I find in my size [/URL]but they fail criteria; dual vents. Most of the solid suits I see nowadays have a single vent, especially navy. If you can live with that, more power to ya.

My size but single vented for a song: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Laure...509895?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&hash=item5890907b47

Size 40R http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Laure...934959?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&hash=item256ad1f66f

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have actually got a signature (Jerome) suit NWT at that price. It was advertised as black but was actually a navy nailhead. I don't like solid suits but this one you couldn't tell it was patterned until you were about to hug me.
There are others I find in my size but they fail criteria; dual vents. Most of the solid suits I see nowadays have a single vent, especially navy. If you can live with that, more power to ya.

Yeah, there are not many double vent solid navy suits floating around for sale. The few I have seen are at outrageous prices (or maybe not since they seem to be so rare :laugh: )

inq89

Reaction score

I searched your username with a few key words and have not found a definitive answer. Ebay? Please don't make me search more haha.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be very surprised.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RL Rugby is nowhere near "very good." Mediocre maybe.

Is RL Rugby really that bad? I was under the impression that the post-2011 line is made in Italy, supposingly by Caruso. There were some threads claiming they are fully canvassed. I purchased one during the last sale and it is nearly identical to my RLBL suits in cut and fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics