• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevenvg
this is kinda besides the point but i bought some white shoes off oki-ni lately and they were dirty. i emailed them TWICE but didn't receive any reply. has anyone else has experienced such poor service from them?

Given their prices, shoddy customer service is pretty unforgivable.

redwinglover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Just scored these Grenson brogues...

grenson-4.jpg

grenson-1.jpg

grenson-2.jpg

very nice shoes, i wanna buy a pair. can you please tell me the model name and how do they fit ?

regards,
redwinglover

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(xpost with should I buy or shouldn't I buy thread) I'm thinking about kopping these Loake boots for fall, but I don't know how I feel about the bit of fake distressing. They're about $210, factoring in current GBP:USD conversion rates, so if you guys can think of any better-looking goodyear welted wingtip boots in that price range, let me know. Also, I assume that these are casual enough to wear with slim raw jawns and buttonups to high school, right?
BANKS-1290.jpg

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look great. The distressing doesnt look bad but only a first person account can tell for sure.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of navy boat shoes for my slightly narrow feet (roughly a 10C). With most shoes I can just get a medium width and tie them a bit snugger, but this hasn't been working for the boaters I've tried on (Sperry AO, Tommy Bahama, LL Bean). Can anybody recommend a boat shoe that comes in narrow widths or just runs narrower? Topsiders do come in narrow, but not in navy. What about Sebago Docksides? Also, I'll need to keep it under $100 because I am poooor. Thanks.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the Loake site, and their picture shows distressing and insides in better detail. It looks like they're unlined, but the distressing seems a bit worse in the closeup, no? Or would regular shoes look like this after a few months of genuine wear?
Picture4-1.jpg

And Wheeler, I have some Sperry x BoO shoes which seem to be a little narrower than regular AO's. They shouldn't be too hard to find under $100 on B&S or supermarket.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look good.

It takes awhile for leather to get that distressed, I've got a pair of RM Williams that are starting to go like that, and that's with 2 years of abuse.

Loake won't age well, as its not full grain leather, but corrected grain.

The quicker way to do that to your shoes, is to hit them all over with ethanol and do things like soak them in water for two weeks and what not.

Thats what W+H do for the daytons, wrap them up and soak them in water, probably with a little bleach.

I'll be stripping my rm's, recoating matte black, binding them and chucking them in water for awhile, with dye to over dye everything black.

Then i'll get new leather soles put on.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
I think they look good.

Loake won't age well, as its not full grain leather, but corrected grain.

The procedure you're putting the RM's through sounds pretty intense!

Anyway, when you say the Loakes won't age well, do you mean they'll just stay the same, or actually get worse? If the latter, what size price increase would I be looking at in order to upgrade to comparable shoes in full grain leather?

sfpasssf

Reaction score
I like the distressed look. It's perfect for casualwear. They should look great with jeans for school.

On a related note, I picked up a pair of boots with some kind of similar distressing. The leather feels rough with a matte texture. As far as caring for the leather, do you take any different steps for distressed leather? Or is the normal cream and conditioner routine ok? I wonder if that will polish out some of the distressing.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
I just looked at the Loake site, and their picture shows distressing and insides in better detail. It looks like they're unlined, but the distressing seems a bit worse in the closeup, no? Or would regular shoes look like this after a few months of genuine wear?

[/I]

I think these are nicer for about the same $, was thinking of getting some for myself but they didn't have my size:
[URL='http://www.barneys.com/Cap%20Toe%20Boot/077615003,default,pd.html']http://www.barneys.com/Cap%20Toe%20B...efault,pd.html[/URL]

smartcashmere

Reaction score
i saw low cut alden indy boots being sold at as a retailer's special at some blog but i can't remember the retailer or the blog. anyways i thought they looked cool. my absolute fave though is the weston chasse.
inlove.gif

northamptonshoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
(xpost with should I buy or shouldn't I buy thread)

I'm thinking about kopping these Loake boots for fall, but I don't know how I feel about the bit of fake distressing. They're about $210, factoring in current GBP:USD conversion rates, so if you guys can think of any better-looking goodyear welted wingtip boots in that price range, let me know.

Also, I assume that these are casual enough to wear with slim raw jawns and buttonups to high school, right?
BANKS-1290.jpg

Grenson Ellis black (Dainite sole) and Cheaney full grain calf leather brown.
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...0grain%20boot/

migel

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade from wearing mostly simple "sneakers" such as Sambas, Vans, Chucks etc. to a more "dressy" shoe. I'm not too big on boots but any advice on a simple leather shoe with some style for about $150 or so would help. Thanks for any input.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L